Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.0.2 USB stick - MemDisk not enough memory  (Read 16423 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.0.2 USB stick - MemDisk not enough memory
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 03:00:56 pm »
Hi Martin,

Since you only have one PCIe slot on an ITX board and that is needed for the video card what you suggest is rather difficult, but there are come boards that have USB2 sockets if you plug in a USB header which takes care of the keyboard and trackball.

The main problem that I have discovered is the ASMedia SATA chip which our OS2AHCI driver does not support so that anything connected to those ports are not seen which makes installing rather difficult.  If you can get a board with the AMD SATA connected sockets then you stand a chance of installing.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 11:19:02 pm »
Meanwhile, I managed to install ArcaOS and it works really fine.

The only limitations I had with my AM4 board is:
- I need a USB Stick for ArcaOS 5.0.2 installation, DVD boot fails
- I have to select "modern hardware, safe mode" in the Pre-Instal menu, only 1 processor supported
- The problem discribed in this thread with the USB stick boot
- To install, you need a Bristol Ridge processor. Not only because of the USB stick problem with Ryzen G, also because you have to update your BIOS before installing the Ryzen G.

I have also installed Windows 10 32 bit, but I have problems since a BIOS update. The behaviour is the same with both processors. After the BIOS update, I cannot reinstal it (I get an early bluescreen aspi.sys error when booting from DVD), and on the installed Windows 10 32 bit installation, I cannot install AMD chipset/graphics drivers anymore and the start menu button is dead when clicking with the left mouse button. Right mouse button works. Searchfield is also dead.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 06:19:29 pm »
What motherboard are you using, there are several out there and some of them are win 10 only with lots of complaints from those wanting to install Linux.

Another thing, you should have better results if you had installed win 10 64 bit.  I have used that on all the systems I have built for friends using MSI, ASRock, Biostar and Gigabyte boards.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 09:39:37 pm »
I have got an ASUS B350M-A. Besiedes the problems described, all drivers work fine (you have only to add a /A:1 parameter in the config.sys behind uniaud32.sys) to activate the second sound card)

VESA graphics is really very fast. In daily work, the number of only one processor is not a real problem and I hope the problem will be fixed in some month. I plan to post a step for step explanation later how to install several OS.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 09:53:37 pm »
The error message:

Detecting extended memory size ... using INT 15 EAX=E820 'SMAP'
  63 MB starting at 1 MB
Not enough memory

seems to imply that the SMAP call to determine amount of memory miserably fails. That may have more than one cause: either the BIOS implementation of that INT 15 call is broken or, more likely, there are more and more boards that have large "system memory gaps" in the lower 4 GB area that they then use for PCI address space (so they have plenty of addressing space for old PCI cards that can only address 32-bit addresses) instead of addressing system memory.

An important question is: Is only the error message not correct or is the available memory indeed not sufficient? If there is an error message, a "continue anyway?" query would be useful.

I remember old Win16 and early Win32 programs which query the disk size before installing and if the size is bigger than 2 or 4 GB, it says "you need at least 10 MB disk space, installation cancelled."

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 12:38:40 am »
Hi Martin,

I looked at that board but there was no way I could fit it into a mini ITX case  ;)

I could reconsider it but it would need all 4 of the SATA sockets working.  Do you know if they do or are two of them controlled by an ASMedia SATA chip and therefore useless under OS/2 - ArcaOS.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 09:14:04 am »
Do you know if they do or are two of them controlled by an ASMedia SATA chip and therefore useless under OS/2 - ArcaOS

I have two green USB connectors (a XHCI-controlled USB 2.0 emulation or something like that) where I can plug an USB keyboard which is already recognized in the BIOS, two blue (3.0) front and four USB 3.0 rear connectors. I cannot use anyone with ArcaOS.  The PCIe USB 2.0 card has got 6 USB connectors (Startech ebay used 30 EUR). All work fine with ArcaOS.

The SATA connectors do work. But I could not start the ArcaOS 5.0.2 DVD, even not after installing a separate PCIe SATA card. All other startable CD/DVD are working, most with the onboard connectors, and some (like dfsee) with the PCIe card connectors. Access to the DVD drives after installing ArcaOS gets no problem at all.

I bought a midclass board to omit running into your problems. I have got one big PCIe slot, two small ones, and 6 SATA connectors. 4 are used at the moment: SSD, HD, 2 DVD drives.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 10:54:57 am »
Thanks for that information regarding the SATA connectors since I have a requirement for CD/DVD, HD and an eSATA socket. 

It looks as if I will have to make a small case since there is no way that board will fit into an ITX case like the SilverStone ML05 that I am using for builds at the moment.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 01:40:33 pm »
I have installed an Asus HZ270M using a Startech PCIe USB 2.0 card and a X800 video card.
The Startech has a Via chip set so it works fine. It has Sata drives at 2TB for a few drives.

I also installed a Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 using a Startech PCI (it had one PCI slot) and a video card.
The problem with the Gigabyte is it only wants to recognize 1/2 TB of the Sata drive.
The Startech PCI is also a Via chip set. This install was the hardest.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:31:10 pm by Greg Pringle »

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 10:07:33 am »