Author Topic: VirtualBox problems  (Read 54047 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox problems
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2018, 06:53:31 am »
It's too little! I have VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072 on all my three machines, and everything is working. Please try to change VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT to 3072, and THREADS to 511, PROCESSES to 128 explicitly. Also, it is desirable to change JFS cache to some lesser explicit value, like:

VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072
THREADS=511
PROCESSES=156
ifs=d:\os2\jfs.ifs /autocheck:* /cache:128000 /lazy:8,60,5 /p1

-- Here, JFS cache is limited to 128 MB, threads is limited to 511 threads in the system, PROCESSES are limited to 156 processes max. THREADS and PROCESSES eat up some structures per each thread/process, and they consume some hundreds of MB in the system arena, which could be too much. JFS cache is limited to 20% of available RAM, which could be too much too.  (20% from 3 GB is 614 MB, which is a large % from 1 GB of kernel memory, if VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072, so JFS cache should be decreased to say, 128 MB. The exact number should be determined in Theseus). THREADS/PROCESSES/JFS cache consume memory above VIRTUALADDRESS limit (kernel memory), while VBox consumes memory below it. So, if you have too little VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT, it can be not sufficient for VBOX. If you have VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT near to 3072, then only 1024 MB above it is available for kernel and drivers. So, if THREADS/PROCESSES/JFS cache are not limited explicitly, you can easily run out of kernel memory.

My JFS is set to its default as installed by ArcaOS
Code: [Select]
IFS=D:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:*and it seems to only use 64MBs with 4 GB of ram installed,
D:\OS2>CACHEJFS.EXE

SyncTime:       5 seconds
            MaxAge:      20 seconds
        BufferIdle:       4 seconds
        Cache Size:   65536 kbytes
        Min Free buffers:     327 (    1308 K)
        Max Free buffers:     655 (    2620 K)
Lazy Write is enabled

At that I remember trying to increase the cache size to 128 MBs and the system becoming very unstable.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2018, 12:28:59 am »
Maybe, it depends on the JFS version, I'm not sure, but my version had too big cache by default. (I have no Arcaos, eCS 2.2 only, but I needed to set explicit JFS cache to have my system stable) After setting an explicit value, it become ok.

> At that I remember trying to increase the cache size to 128 MBs and the system becoming very unstable.

Are you sure you did all at the same time: Set explicit JFS cache, Set VAL and THREADS/PROCESSES as I said? Also, you should look into Theseus, to be sure: System->Kernel Information->Kernel Memory Usage. I have VAL=3072, so it should be 1 GB of kernel memory. In the above report I see Allocated: 872 MB, Committed: 295 MB ("Totals" at the bottom). So, 128 MB must be free. You can check it yourself -- some space should be free.

I have 3500 MB of physical memory available to OS/2 on this system. Some systems have less than 3072 physical memory available to OS/2. If so, then it maybe less kernel memory available. So, you'll need to tailor it to your system further.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:42:46 am by Valery Sedletski »

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2018, 09:02:39 pm »
Hello Valery
About your coment this in ecs2.2:
VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072
THREADS=511
PROCESSES=156
ifs=d:\os2\jfs.ifs /autocheck:* /cache:128000 /lazy:8,60,5 /p1
I modified in arca502, the config.sys following your suggestion this line
IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:*
for this
IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /cache:128000 /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:*
And now I start the two versions of the virtual box well.
VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=2880
The error he gave me was -1018, and it started sporadically. Now is ok.
Saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2018, 11:19:32 pm »
I have the host with arca502, and using guest xp created with the previous version works fine for me. VTx is selected. Although he tells me that this error is working well. But if I try to install ubuntu as guest or arcaos it gives me the error -1018 ... and when it starts it gives me an error in the installation.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2018, 03:03:35 am »
2roberto: So, With VAL=2880 VBox starts ok, but you got error -1018? Unfortunately, no fix for this error, so far. On IBM kernels, CPU ID is got as Local APIC ID, which is not guaranteed to be in a contiguous range. So, when you got into the "hole", you got this error. The only means to get rid of this error is currently, install an OS/4 kernel. It can get CPU ID's reliably. (In the future, maybe, some workaround for IBM kernels is possible, but for now, use OS/4 kernel). Also note that if you'll get this error or not, depends on LAPIC ID's in your system. If they are contiguous, all is ok (like on all three of my machines). If not, you can get this error.

VT-x should be disabled in VBox settings, if you have IBM kernel!

xynixme

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2018, 10:06:34 am »
LCSS should work with any version of OS/2, but it has only been tested with eCS, and ArcaOS. Testing on eCS will cease (I don't use it any more), but it should continue to work. Please, READ the instructions, if you use it. You may wish to tweak your CONFIG.SYS to retain comments.
FWIW, LCSS and its install script aren't aware of long file names, unlike all environments. E.g. dropped files or correctly typed CLI file names called:

C:\CONFIG.SYS tests\TWEAKED.SYS
I:\Test LCSS\My tweaked CONFIG.SYS

Parameter: "%*" /SC

Code: IF Left(INPUT_FILE,1)='"' THEN ...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:07:01 pm by AndrĂ© Heldoorn »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2018, 07:45:30 pm »
FWIW, LCSS and its install script aren't aware of long file names, unlike all environments. E.g. dropped files or correctly typed CLI file names called:

Well, thanks for letting me know (an e-mail isn't that difficult, you know, the instructions are in the README).

C:\CONFIG.SYS tests\TWEAKED.SYS
I:\Test LCSS\My tweaked CONFIG.SYS

Parameter: "%*" /SC

Code: IF Left(INPUT_FILE,1)='"' THEN ...

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say here. I use dropped file names a lot, many are in subdirectories. It always works. Please give me a specific example of what fails.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2018, 08:19:42 pm »
Sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say here. I use dropped file names a lot, many are in subdirectories. It always works. Please give me a specific example of what fails.

Never mind. I see the problem. An update will be posted to HOBBES, shortly.

xynixme

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2018, 03:47:39 pm »
Never mind. I see the problem. An update will be posted to HOBBES, shortly.

Thank you. There's one left. Not specific to 0.6.1, but to all REXX apps processing OS/2 file name arguments.

With a CLI the file specification "CONFIG.SYS" is valid, including the quotes. Or, at least, the first quote.

MD TEST
CD TEST
COPY C:\CONFIG.SYS .
LCSS.CMD "CONFIG.SYS
COPY C:\CONFIG.SYS .
LCSS.CMD "CONFIG.SYS"
COPY C:\CONFIG.SYS "CONFIG.SYS test"
LCSS.CMD "CONFIG.SYS test"
COPY C:\CONFIG.SYS "CONFIG.SYS test
LCSS.CMD "CONFIG.SYS test"

Unlike C, REXX requires you to get rid of the quote(s).

Hence "%*" /SC in PARAMETERS too, including the quotes. LCSS does save back-up copies, excellent, but with "CONFIG.SYS" (including the quotes) the output file CONFIG.SYS is broken.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:49:16 pm by AndrĂ© Heldoorn »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2018, 07:56:43 pm »
With a CLI the file specification "CONFIG.SYS" is valid, including the quotes. Or, at least, the first quote.

Hopefully fixed, without breaking something else.  0.6.2 at HOBBES.