OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

os4apic.psd is released

(1/2) > >>

OS4User:
it looks like it will be distributed with os4krnl
http://ru2.halfos.ru/core/downloads/kernel/os4/os2krnlSVN4066_unoff.zip

R.M. Klippstein:
How does a person go about supporting this project?

klipp

Roderick Klein:
While I know the OS/4 team does not have access to the current ACPI code.
Why code your own PSD ?

What I indicated in the past is that some things in eCS could benefit from OS/4 work.
But its not realy documented very well. Also some people complain that we (eCS team)
broke OS/4 kernel support. This was not done on purpose in ACPI.
But its simply difficult to find any information.

The readme file of the os4acpi.txt states for example states:

"OS4APIC.PSD hangs IBM kernel because of lack of service and some other
reasons. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid it due to the bug in the
IBM kernel. "

What is ment by that ? Could the details be more specific ?

MemFiles_en.txt states:
"The main goal is to run ACPI on AMD chipsets where int 13h cannot be used after switching
ACPI on."

From what I can tell about this above description is that its to generic (lacks details) or is just wrong.
I think its the last case. Possibly our PSD version still has some bugs in it.
But from what I can tell (also after haven spoken with David) there is no such thing as INT 13 going away
on AMD systems when ACPI is loaded. It was just that the orginal PSD code made wrong switched between real mode
and procted mode and that caused the hang! That is now fixed.  Has nothing todo with OS2LDR or OS2KRNL bugs.

Just like the orginal /FS switch that was required for Dell systems.
It turned out later it was not required. The PSD implemented
switching between real and protected mode in a wrong manner.
And even with /FS switch when it was still used you could not boot from USB CD ROM drives.
This was fixed with the new PSD's from David.

So while some of the bugfixes done to the OS/4 kernel I can not make a good judgement about them.
Other things the OS/4 team did I realy waonder if they did not went on the wrong technicall track.

But the basis is that technical information is missing as to why certain things where implemented.

Since David started working on ACPI I can only state the amount of random system freezes and locks has basicly gone
away. Of the 50 systems I have had access to test eCS on, only 1 box still fails with ACPI.

So that the current kernel from IBM is not perfect I would agree.

I'm posting this message because some people complained Mensys broke support for OS/4.
But where can I find some details as *why* certain things are said not to be working and why certain things where fixed.

Thanks

Roderick Klein

walking_x:
Roderick, I have one question about loader, not kernel ;)
There are two alternative OS2LDRs - one from OS/4 and one from separate QSINIT project. Both have a nice menu and a lot of functions.

But they became disfunctional with late ACPI revisions. Can David make some notes about: what ACPI.PSD uses from OS2LDR? Or how this can be "defined" in some kind of API?

OS4User:

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on August 11, 2013, 10:34:36 pm ---While I know the OS/4 team does not have access to the current ACPI code.

--- End quote ---

As far as I know ACPI code is closed and available only for eCS team.

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on August 11, 2013, 10:34:36 pm ---The readme file of the os4acpi.txt states for example states:

"OS4APIC.PSD hangs IBM kernel because of lack of service and some other
reasons. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid it due to the bug in the
IBM kernel. "

What is ment by that ? Could the details be more specific ?

--- End quote ---

In fact it's not bug and it will not affect ACPI.psd in any way. What was meant probably is that in IBM kernel there is no scenario that when PSD is present in config.sys and returns error to INSTALL command. IBM kernel in this case will hang. As OS4APIC is meant only for OS/4 kernel and it uses its features it will not work on IBM kernel. Yes, OS4APIC can recognize IBM kernel, so what? IBM kernel still can't accept error to INSTALL.

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on August 11, 2013, 10:34:36 pm ---MemFiles_en.txt states:
"The main goal is to run ACPI on AMD chipsets where int 13h cannot be used after switching
ACPI on."

From what I can tell about this above description is that its to generic (lacks details) or is just wrong.
I think its the last case. Possibly our PSD version still has some bugs in it.
But from what I can tell (also after haven spoken with David) there is no such thing as INT 13 going away
on AMD systems when ACPI is loaded. It was just that the orginal PSD code made wrong switched between real mode
and procted mode and that caused the hang! That is now fixed.  Has nothing todo with OS2LDR or OS2KRNL bugs.

--- End quote ---

Yes, you are right. It was a bug in earlier ACPI.PSD and it has nothing in common with kernel and ldr. But earlier there was an opinion that it was connected with AMD chipset. But later ACPI.PSD is working good where that bug used to appear.

As far as I know, there is no mode switch code in PSD, may be David meant switching between PIC and IOAPIC ?

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on August 11, 2013, 10:34:36 pm ---Since David started working on ACPI I can only state the amount of random system freezes and locks has basicly gone
away. Of the 50 systems I have had access to test eCS on, only 1 box still fails with ACPI.

--- End quote ---

Yes, David did and is doing a great job for improving ACPI.PSD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version