OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

os4apic.psd is released

<< < (2/2)

R.M. Klippstein:
Just released ! Updated OS4 Kernel

http://ru2.halfos.ru/core/downloads/kernel/os4/os2krnlSVN4070_unoff.zip

walking_x:
Roderick, you don`t want to answer, but I`m still add a note...

May be you don`t know, but writing alternative OS2LDR it is a walking over the minefield. For example, brave Veit never checks the error code in his pcibus.snp (used in eCS) - and if you try to return error on missing PCI ID it will hang somethere in resource.sys... Another example - it is trying to change I/O Delay calulation... working fine, but all Intel network cards became broken. If you saw Linux drivers sources - you can understand why - it full of delay(5 mks) calls.... A small change in timings can broke all. And so on...
I.e., in addition to full emulation of OS2LDR API - all of "common software" bugs must be in mind.

And David adds a new one! ;) I think he just patch something or read from hardcoded offset in IBM`s OS2LDR... But all, what he need can be received normally, if some kind of API will be defined.

And "alternative loaders" are really useful! Users can mix IBM and OS/4 kernels (OS/4 kernel allow to edit boot CONFIG.SYS in embedded editor - and system can be loaded without ACPI or trouble making driver). Using of multiple config.sys files, debug kernel SYM files, turning off logo from menu, ability to start another OS2LDR (debug version, for example) - are you sure, that David themself do not require some of those features?

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Just released ! Updated OS4 Kernel
--- End quote ---

I tried that on my Lenovo ThinkPad L530. It is just as broken as the earlier version was. As soon as the actual boot starts (after the OS2  loader menu is responded to, or times out), the machine immediately reboots. This is long before OS2APIC, or OS4APIC would get involved.

I also see that there is a new QSINIT, which works a little better. At least the machine will boot.

I also tried the OS4 package on my antique Athlon machine. It seems to work there, but, from what I have seen, adds nothing that isn't in the IBM stuff.

--- Quote ---Roderick, you don`t want to answer
--- End quote ---

I would hope that Roderick is working at getting eCS 2.2 out the door, in good shape. I would be surprised if he has been here since his last post. I also think it is not wise to discuss details with Roderick. He knows a bit about the overview, but I am sure that he knows very little about the details.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version