Author Topic: Report installing ArcaOS on AM4 board with Ryzen 2200 G  (Read 9381 times)

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
Report installing ArcaOS on AM4 board with Ryzen 2200 G
« on: May 16, 2018, 12:10:13 am »
German see https://www.os2.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1405

After lots of queries and help support (thank to all here in the forum) to instal a new computer I can report success. I have ventured an actual new hardware, first to get a real fast computer, and second to be happy lots of years without having problems with outdated hardware. I have installed Win 10 32 bit, Win 10 64 bit, Ubuntu 18.04 and of course ArcaOS. I chose an Asus B350M-A AM4 motherboard, primary with an Bristol Ridge processor installed (this is the predecessor architecture of the current Ryzen). Meanwhile, I have changed the processor to a Ryzen 2200 G processor which has been available in Febrary 2018. Both processors are APUs, that means processor with integrated graphics. In opposite to Intel APUs, the AMD APUs are much more powerful in graphics and applicable for gaming. The main argument for the AM4 socket platform is the availability of new processors for the next 4 years. Main limitation for ArcaOS: Of course you have only Panorama VESA graphics. Windows seamless does not work (because of a known bug). Because processor and graphics unit is really fast, all works much faster than with SNAP and an very old graphics card. SSD makes me happy, too. SMP and ACPI works.

I began last autumn with unsuccessful trials. Here is a report of my lots of problems and their solutions.

First, I failed booting from DVD. Some bootable CD and DVD were not recognized anymore. For a lot of CDs, I could solve the problem with a PCIe card with two SATA connectors. (Reading is no problem, only booting.) But the ArcaOS 5.0.1 DVD still refused work, all other (even older ones) worked fine. Via Bugtracker, I got the recommendation to wait for the bootable USB Stick. In February 2018, I got a beta version of 5.0.2, but first this did not work, too. The problem was: All AM4 boards do not have an USB 2.0 Controller (UHCI/EHCI) anymore, only XHCI (USB 3.0). On the rear side, there are green 2.0 and blue 3.0 connectors - a keyboard has to be plugged into the green ones, otherwise the BIOS does not recognize the keyboard. Nevertheless, the green ones are also controlled via the one XHCI controller which is not supported by ArcaOS at the moment. ArcaNoae told me to get the USB 3.0 support very soon (we are still waiting), but I decided to buy a PCIe USB 2.0 controller (StarTech). Now I could start the ArcaOS installation program the first time.

At the moment, there's a problem in the ArcaOS installation program (DOS memory problem) which occurs with Ryzen G, but not occurs with Bristol Ridge. So installation has to be made with Bristol Ridge processor which is also used to update the BIOS for the new Ryzen G processor.

The next subject was the problem, to get several OS into Coexistance. This was a hard work where I needed to instal the OS several times to find out the problems... The main problem was my assumption, that placing ArcaOS into a primary partition would be the easiest way which was completely false, because Windows changes all primary partitions, especially the OS/2 partitions with JFS format, because JFS has got the same partition id number (07) as Windows NTFS. But if you put ArcaOS into a logical volume, Windows does not matter.

Windows 10 64 bit could be installed without any problems.

The hardest problems I got with Windows 10 32 bit. Fist all worked fine, I could use it for some days, but after updating the BIOS I got massive malfunctions. Installing it new via DVD ends at the beginning in a Windows Bluescreen aspi.sys. I could not solve the problem yet. I hope that a future BIOS and/or Windows update fixes the problem.

On April 26 2018, LTS Ubuntu 18.04 has been available. I was quite sure that Ryzen and Vega graphics which is available now for one year gets supported without problems. But the first installation trial ended with corrupted screen output. The setting named "modern hardware, safe mode" in ArcaOS is the parameter "nomodeset" in Ubuntu. With this boot setting, I could install Ubutu in VESA mode. Then it was not difficult to load and install a new binary kernel. But temporary the computer freezes, it seems to be Alpha Software.

Conclusion: We are thinking that only with ArcaOS there are problems with new hardware. My experience with current hardware is quite different: Only the mainstram OS Windows 10 64 bit is really good supported, all other OS needs lot of manual work. The hardware manufacturers are thinking that they are only responsible for Windows 10 64 bit, for all other OS third party solutions are required.

-------------------

The computer is really silent in idle state. The air stream from the power supply feels cold. The main noise source is now the additional HDD. I set a ticket for an idle functionality for OS2AHCI.ADD: https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=1869

The difference between Bristol Ridge and Ryzen is distinctable in daily use, for example opening complex PDFs. Starting Firefox 38 1,5 seconds. Device driver worked all. Restrictions: Installation only with "modern hardware, safe mode". Behind Uniaud32.sys a parameter /A:1 is necessary. SMP and ACPI has to be installed after OS installation.

PANORAMA Graphics performance is really good: I can run 720p Videos with 25% processor load (1 processor) with good frame rate.

Here now the instruction for all who want to install comparible hardware:

Mainboard ASUS B350-M-A
Processor AMD A8-A6-9500 (Bristol Ridge only for instal), Ryzen 2200 G
CPU Fan XILENCE A404T
SSD Samsung EVO 850 500 GB
then I have a 2TB HDD and two DVD drives.
(ebay) Startech USB controller 7x USB 2.0, PCI-E x1 (note: there are two different plates for default and flat PC cases)
Power supply (low noise in idle state) not too much Watts because of less efficiency

(1) Plug Bristol Ridge processor. Put ArcaOS 5.0.2 stick into PCIe card. Do not plug in a second HD. Select "Modern hardware, safe mode" in the pre-instal menu. Start management console and Minilvm. Install Airboot later. Create 1 or 2 primary partitions for Windows (50 GB is useful). Place the logical partitions (ArcaOS, Linux, Data) at the end of the SSD. To be absolutely sure that Windows does not matter other partitions, generate only the primary Windows partitions.

(2) Install your Windows versions (I have one 32 and one 64 bit version of Windows 10). Do not install yet drivers for chipset and graphics!

(3) Make the BIOS update. This is needed for Ryzen G support. I bought a board where the BIOS is one year old.

(4) Make two logical partitions for ArcaOS (I have chosen 8 GB). Install ArcaOS twice, so you won't need the USB stick anymore for maintainance. Make the drive letters visible for both ArcaOS installations. (One C:, the other another letter). So you can maintain the one installation from the other. Select "Modern hardware, safe mode" in the pre-instal menu. Install Airboot now.

(5) Change the processor from Bristol Ridge to Ryzen G. (Oops, it is connected under the mainboard, do only fix the mainboard before with few screws.)

(6) Install Linux, also in a logical volume generated by Minilvm.

(7) Install Windows chipset / graphics driver after installing the Ryzen G processor.

(8 ) Install ArcaOS SMP kernel https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,1759.0.html and newest ACPI driver (currently 3.23.09)

If you know exactly how to do it, you can make the work in 1/2 or at least 1 day.

One problem has been left: Minilvm shows a defective partition table after installing Ubuntu Linux. I will find a solution with DFSEE, I have already contact with the DFSEE author. I will report later - I have to backup the whole SSD before.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:13:23 am by Martin Vieregg »

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Report installing ArcaOS on AM4 board with Ryzen 2200 G
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:33:40 pm »
Thank you Martin, it should make my install easier this weekend.

I do have one question though.  From the manual I got when I first considered this board I see that there are 2 two port USB2.0 headers on the motherboard.  Did you try to use those or just the USB2.0 card?  I ask because on every mini-ITX AM4 board that I have used that have such headers those headers are USB2.0/1.1.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 11:48:03 pm »
Yes, I know that in the manual there is written something with USB 2.0. But nevertheless, it seems that the 2.0 connectors are controlled by the same XHCI controller. Yes, I tested all connectors on the board, all did fail. They failed with the error message "ISO file not found", the same error message if you do not place the ISO file correctly in the USB stick subdirectory. The Ryzen error with the RAM-Disk Memory problem fails before that point. I assume that after shipment of the OS/2 USB 3.0 controller driver (more precise: XHCI controller driver) all connectors will work.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:06:51 am »
Hi Martin

Thanks for sharing your reports. I will include it on the OS2World Wiki.

It would be interesting if you can share the PCI.exe report. I have an article about it right here.

I guess that you changed some thing on the BIOS to turn the UEFI BIOS to Legacy mode, right?
Do you have any comments about the Audio and the internal LAN ethernet adapter under ArcaOS?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:03:34 am »
I have copied the output file of pci.exe to the Attachment.

Sound and Network did work without any additional instal. You have only to add /A:1 behind Uniaud32.sys in the Config.sys.

But it seems that there's now a conflict between SMP or ACPI and Sound. Sound worked fine with one processor, but now the beginning sound when booting gets repeated like an old 78rpm shellac disc with a scratch.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:43:14 am »
The sound problem is well known and appears to be a timing problem with drivers loading from the config.sys.  I have it on a couple of my AMD 3850 APUs and it is stopped by opening the sound object - then it sound is ok until next time start.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 02:50:44 pm »
Hi

The Wiki page is taking shape now. Asus Prime B350M-A. Please check it out.

About the PCI.exe report, it seems that pci.ids for linux (2018/05/17) does not have the deviceId listed for the ones that shows as "Unknown".

At the moment, there's a problem in the ArcaOS installation program (DOS memory problem) which occurs with Ryzen G, but not occurs with Bristol Ridge. So installation has to be made with Bristol Ridge processor which is also used to update the BIOS for the new Ryzen G processor.

Is there a way to know if ArcaOS will install now directly on the Ryzen G processor since you updated the BIOS? But be carefull, test it only if you don't screw all your Multiboot work with the computer.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 02:55:56 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 03:36:12 pm »
I might be able to answer some of those questions.

My board (Asus Prime B350M-A) arrived this morning.

Updating the bios took 10 minuets including installing the old A10-9700 processor.  Then I cheated a bit since it was easy with everything spread out on my worktable.

Installed the Ryzen 3 2200G processor and 2 x 4GB memory sticks.

Added a 1TB Toshiba disk and a slim DVD drive.  Now this where I cheated - the Toshiba drive was taken from one of my other AMD APU based systems when I upgraded its drive to a 2TB Seagate FireCUDA disk, it has a complete ArcaOS 5.0.2  install on it as well as my usual tools and utilities (I did update the ACPI driver before using the drive - SATA/USB adapters are good).

With everything plugged together and power applied it didn't take long to arrive at my ArcaOS desktop with everything working except USB.

I will post more information when I get the case for this in a couple of weeks and get everything neat and tidy.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 10:13:50 pm »
It seems that the BIOS does not matter with the memory bug problem when starting the USB stick.

P. S.: I have got an obsolete (false buy) used Startech PCIe USB 2.0 controller card for small cases (short plate).

Does anyone knows something about a timetable for the USB 3.0 driver ? (I only heard a "very soon" two month ago.)

I've read the Wiki. I tried DANIS506 but it did not boot anymore. So OS2AHCI seems to be the only option, or I do not know the right config.sys settings/parameters. I have simply replaced the driver in the config.sys.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:27:43 pm »
Thanks for sharing. Let me know what else can be updated on the Asus Prime B350M-A wiki page.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 12:09:57 pm »
I could solve the last remaining problem: Ubuntu changed the partition tables, so minilvm did not work anymore and did show a currupted partition table. The dfsee author could help me. There's a repair command:

Edit - switch to expert mode
Mode=FDISK - Part-table cleanup/repair - Align ext container disk

Now minilvm shows the correct partition table and does not show errors anymore.

So after installing Ubuntu, you have to process this command.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 01:00:15 am »
Sound problems on AMD boxes can be solved by installing a USB Sound Stick (8 to 10$), They work great.

klipp