Author Topic: Problems with DragText  (Read 7780 times)

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
Problems with DragText
« on: June 06, 2018, 02:45:29 pm »
On my new computer with ArcaOS 5.0.2, I have installed the current DragText 3.9 version. It worked a few days, and then the functionalities disappeared. I cannot activate functionality in the DragText Settings. After pressing (german) "anwenden" (in english use, apply or something like that) and reopening the settings notebook, all settings do disappear. I have reinstalled it, it worked a few days again, and then I got the same problem again. Any ideas?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Problems with DragText
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 06:16:22 pm »
On my new computer with ArcaOS 5.0.2, I have installed the current DragText 3.9 version.

To be clear. Did you install it when you installed ArcaOS 5.0.2, or did you install it after? DragText 3.9 is part of ArcaOS, unless you deselected it at install time. If you did not deselect it at install time, and then installed it after, you probably have a setup problem. Since it works, for a couple of days, then stops, it is likely that IFX is correcting a problem, but doing the second install may have removed something that the ArcaOS version of DragText needs.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 06:16:35 pm »
Hi Martin

ArcaOS 5.02 comes with Dragtext 3.9 already installed.  It is found in the sys\apps\drgtxt39 folder.  Checked and except for the text files, the program files are the same as those found in the program that is downloaded from Hobbes.  Where did you install dragtext?

David

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:03:41 pm »
First: DragText is immune to setup problems. If you reinstall it in a different directory, it will just start using the DLLs and INI file in the new directory after a reboot. Reinstalling in the same directory will have no net effect.

As to the problem at hand: the most likely reason is that 'drgtxt39.ini' has its "read-only" bit set. It should be on when the INI is in use and off when it is not. For DT, it's on when DT's Settings notebook is open and off when it is closed. So, with the notebook closed, locate the file and see if that's the problem.

Another, much less likely cause is a shortcoming in PM. From what I've read, PM uses a fixed amount of memory for all INI files system-wide. If multiple large INIs were open at the same time, that memory pool might be exhausted causing INI operations to fail. You can test this by opening DT's Settings notebook when no other apps are running.

Finally: in the interests of keeping things in their expected locations, I would suggest that you go to 'x:\sys\apps\drgtxt39' and run DTSetup. You don't have to do anything except press "Install". After a reboot, you can simply delete the duplicate installation's directory (do NOT uninstall it).

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 10:52:26 pm »
OK, I did not know that it has been installed with ArcaOS 5.0.2 and I installed it twice. I did run dtsetup - deinstal on the second installation, then rebooted and then I did run the ArcaOS version in the C:\sys\apps folder. Now all works fine. I have also activated my own registration code.
Rich, thank you for the fast support and this great tool.

xynixme

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 10:40:42 am »
Is DragText shipped with eCS 2.x too? If so, what's the full default path of (all) installed DragText files and directories? Presumably there's no DragText upgrade package for OS/2 nor eCS 1.x, which could have avoided more than one install.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 06:36:38 pm »
Is DragText shipped with eCS 2.x too?

No. It is one of the bonus items with ArcaOS. Dragftext is at HOBBES, but I think you are still expected to pay for a license. There is no difference with the ArcaOS version, other than the license.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 08:29:04 pm »
No. It is one of the bonus items with ArcaOS.
DragText 3.9 is contained in eCS since version 2.2 beta 1. See \CID\SERVER\ECSPKG\DTECS.ZIP