Author Topic: nFTP Source Code  (Read 7467 times)

Ben

nFTP Source Code
« on: June 07, 2018, 02:02:00 pm »
Many years ago when the authors of nFTP(PM) were in the process of ending the development of this great program and I had the foresight to ask if they would pass along the source code.

Lo and behold, they were gracious enough to send me a copy.

At the time I was still into programming, (I can't stand it, gave it up and never speak of it), but I never did do anything with it.

I thought that I had lost it in a hard disk crash many years ago, but I just found a copy.

I have no idea if the source code for this is out there already, (if so, I know nothing about it), but if any developer/programmer here would like to do something with this source code send me a PM/E-mail address and I'll pass it along.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: nFTP Source Code
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 02:34:42 pm »
Ben, the file on Hobbes has the source code with it.

Ben

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 02:51:11 pm »
OK.
Thanks for the heads-up, Eugene.

Having said that, I am surprised that no one has updated it.

Obviously a lack of interest. Oh, well.

xynixme

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 03:08:33 pm »
I am surprised that no one has updated it.
Why would someone want to update it? Offering the source code "to do something" with it isn't that clear, especially after a claim to have been into programming. Broken? Trivial change? Update to a newer version of a compiler and libraries? RFCs? Just replacing DosOpen() by DosOpenL()? "Weird" bug? If you are the user, compared with rare programmers without interest, then you'll know what has to be improved.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 03:24:13 pm »
Are you asking what specifically needs updating?

The interface for one; getting the window size/position to stick from session to session for two, etc.

With respect to me programming, I thought I had made it clear; I gave it up long ago; the skills I once had have long since faded and I'd rather push bamboo shoots under my nails than to take it up again.

But not every programmer, (past or present), feels the same way. But some people have to have things spelled out and can't extrapolate or intuit... I can live with people like that; no problem.

I can only think positively and ponder that maybe others can have the same level of tolerance for people in general and for their particular characteristics too.

So, I came across the code and thought someone would like it. If not, then status quo reigns.

TeLLie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 05:47:53 pm »
Hi Ben,

Look @ www.ayukov.com/nftp/source-release.html
There you can download sources also...

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 07:15:31 pm »
Hi

I had also uploaded the 2.0 source code at Github in case someone wants to fork it, hack it, and tweak it for their own amusement.
https://github.com/OS2World/APP-INTERNET-NFTP

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 01:42:51 pm »
Version 2.?

I believe my version is 1.71.

nFTP is my main FTP program.

I will have to take a look at that, though I do not have the means to compile it.