Author Topic: moving desktop icons  (Read 7600 times)

brick

moving desktop icons
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:14:50 am »
I've got a weird problem I can't seem to get a handle on and google is terrible anymore.
 Installed warp 4 on a Virtualbox 5.2.12;  updated to fixpack 15, tcpip, kernel and gradd97 drivers.  Everything works great, so I  installed a few apps.  I'm not sure when the problem began, but moving a desktop icon breaks the functionality of that program.  For example, I installed WarpIn.  It works fine. The WarpIn icon is in a WarpIN folder on the desktop. I want to reduce clutter, so I drag the Warpin Folder to Programs, the standard Desktop folder.  After that, WarpIn No longer works- I get a Cannot Start Error, Check Path and memory.  Dragging the folder back out does no good.  Delete all the WarpIn stuff by os/2 DOS window and re-install.  WarpIn Works fine til I move it, then it breaks again.  Moving it back doesnt restore function.  If I click "Find Original"  it lists the only one installed at the same location as the icon.  Clicking on the found original in the search box gives me the same error. 
This has happened on a few other programs, too. I've checked the path in the properties tab and it appears fine. 
What am I doing wrong?

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
Re: moving desktop icons
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:42:05 pm »
See here: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?sh=1&button=Search&key=movingdesktopobjects

First move your objects back, then execute 'RmDesktopFolderPos.cmd run'. This will remove an ini entry for your desktop that causes the wrong scroll position and the scroll bars. After that restart the system. That entry is created automatically from time to time.

Easiest is to put a program object or a link of 'RmDesktopFolderPos.cmd run' into your Shutdown folder. (This tip came from Doug and has worked for me since a few years.)

If you don't have a Shutdown folder, you can install XWorkplace 1.0.11. For ArcaOS just create one: Open the desktop's context menu, tab 'XShutdown', button 'CREAte XShutdown folder'.

A workaround is to disable the setting that the WarpCenter or XCenter reduces the desktop height. But I don't remember, if that's configurable for WarpCenter at all. The disadvantage would be that maximized windows overlap the WarpCenter or XCenter then, what I don't like.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:13:33 pm »
This program might help.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/wps/movingdesktopobjects100.zip

This package helps to get rid of moving desktop objects. The bug occurs from time to time if you have eCenter, XCenter or WarpCenter configured to reduce the desktop's workarea.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 06:21:33 pm »
If you read brick's post, he has a different problem, namely that moving an icon causes it to lose its connection to the executable, even though the properties seem correct.
All i can think of is something screwed in the ini files. Unluckily I can't remember where to download the popular ini cleaning programs.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:19:20 pm »
If you read brick's post, he has a different problem, namely that moving an icon causes it to lose its connection to the executable, even though the properties seem correct.
OK, I admit it was a bit too long for me. ;-)

All i can think of is something screwed in the ini files. Unluckily I can't remember where to download the popular ini cleaning programs.
See the VOICE newsletter tip.

ckeckini (checkini.exe and wptools.dll) was part of wptool32.zip on Hobbes. Apparently that one was deleted. It's still available on os2site (download works only with an OS/2 system) or on Cyberia/2 BBS. hektools.zip on netlabs.org contains the sources and executables.

(For the ftp links, correct the broken links caused by this SMF software: Replace http://ftp// with ftp://)

cleanini is still available at the author's site.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:20:36 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

brick

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 10:02:45 am »
Yea, I can get a little long winded at times :)     I think my problem was that I upgraded pretty randomly- fixpak  15, wr8610 & 21 then whatever I could find in no particular order.  Obviously not the best idea. 
  I tried checkini and it found a metric boatload of errors and 'can't access..."  problems, so I'll derez it and start over.   

thanks for the ideas

xynixme

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 04:06:43 pm »
This package helps to get rid of moving desktop objects. The bug occurs from time to time if you have eCenter, XCenter or WarpCenter configured to reduce the desktop's workarea.

No such off-topic, re-occuring bug with shutdown -> change the shutdown dialog setting (probably to "restart") -> reboot ( and shutdown -> restore that sticky setting to its original default -> reboot). Typically you may as well execute a magic script which appends a REM-line to CONFIG.SYS.

xynixme

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 11:36:40 am »
Tested during a re-installation of eCS 1.2. Move the eCenter to the top of the screen ASAP (first "VGA" desktop), shutdown, change the shutdown setting to restart, and restart. An object near the bottom of the screen does prevent unrelated, minor moves later (appearing scrollbar). Toggling the shutdown option is what's about, after having re-positioned the eCenter. You can undo that shutdown setting the next time. You can toggle the setting later than ASAP, but there shouldn't icons moving towards the south when it's done ASAP. An object near the bottom of the screen can be anything, like the trashcan in a corner. Position it quite close to the bottom edge.