Author Topic: Intel 2915, no networks  (Read 8589 times)

Moises08

Intel 2915, no networks
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:21:32 pm »
So, the problem with my ecs 2.1 instalation is with wifi. If anyone don't know, i have an ibm x41 with intel 2915 adapter. The driver and genmac are installed qwithout any issues. The card is detected. But on xwlan 3.10 i can not find any wlan network while scanning, the list is empty. I have managed to instal xwlan 3.13, but all the options and menus are greyed out. What should i do?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: Intel 2915, no networks
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 01:24:41 am »
So the best of my understand the XWLAN in eCS 2.1 is antique so an upgrade is the first good step.
The issue you describe is a known bug. There are to many WiFi access, that is why your list is empty. This was fixed in later versions of XWLAN. 

One important thing is that the Xlwan should be able tind the file genmac.dim, which is bascially a DLL to access the Genmac driver. That is the only thing I can think off why it can not find the hardware.

Did you also check lantran.log that the driver really loaded succesfully ?

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:48:47 am »
Did you check step by step http://trac.netlabs.org/xwlan/browser/trunk/src/ship/readme.txt ?

The way I read your post I guess you stuck at #1

Moises08

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 10:26:34 am »
Everything is good, but how can anyone run yum install, without a network? Maybe is there any binary?

Moises08

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 11:07:53 am »
Ok, it was simple a conflict between xwlans, while i forgot to turn off old xwlan.
How can i delete an old xwlan completly? It states, that it is used in the system, so is unchangeble, even when disabled.
Sorry for totaly noob questions, i was a windows, mac and linux user, no experience with os/2.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:23:04 am »
With OS/2 and xwlan you've flexibility which you are probably not used to when you came from windoze f.i.

As you might have seen there are two inst*cmd (instwgt.cmd, instexe.cmd). Depending on how you've installed the previous version the program and it's corresponding files are in different places (directories). Moreover you can install the exe (wlanstat) in more than one place if you like. But you probably don't.

Just one scenario - if you've installed the widget (xwlan widget in xwp xcenter) then you most probably had run instwgt.cmd. If you simply run the instwgt.cmd which comes with 3.13 (3.12 or up) then all files should be updated. Locked files are unlocked while running instwgt. I've even packed into the unlock.exe which is needed for this.

Of course you can delete all files manually but as you saw some files (dlls) are locked. There are different versions of unlock.exe. The best ones are coming with xwlan ;) and rpm. But even eCS has one included which should work.

'Conflict between xwlans' - I can not imagine what you mean by that. If you're running f.i. wlanstat.exe you can not run xwlan widget at the same time. But this is clearly visible as xwlan code checks for that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:27:22 am by Andi B. »

Moises08

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 11:40:49 am »
Sorry, i didnt install it. The downloaded xwlan was a packaged folder, which in Windows world is called portable - no need to install, just copy this folder to a local drive and you are set to go. I looked up in the folder of xwlan, and didnt find any instwgt.cmd  . Or maybe i didnt understand correctly, and it is triggered whithin first launch?

Moises08

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 11:45:05 am »
For your information, an old xwlan isnt updated. I closed new and opened old version, at first it did found the nets, but they were unclickable, i relaunched it and now it still cant recognise any net.

Moises08

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 11:48:41 am »
And there aint no unlock.exe in the old xwlan 3.10, only in 3.13, which works only for 3.13.

Moises08

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 12:00:32 pm »
Oh, i finaly updated xwlan, so ignore the above posts. Now i cant connect. I have two hotspots. My home WPA2-PSK and my phone's unprotected - without any password. I created matching profiles to both, as sugested in a nearby thread. 1st hostpot - i click connect, the window with hotspot list closes and no reaction further. 2nd, phone, is marked with (*), the connect button is greyed out. Maybe because it is classified  a public net, while no password, i dont know.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:02:26 pm by Jaroslav »