Author Topic: Announcing Warpstock Europe 2019!  (Read 13303 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
Announcing Warpstock Europe 2019!
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:10:26 am »
Yep you have read it correctly, Warpstock Europe 2019 is being
announced. Why so early ?

You can read some of the reasons here https://www.warpstock.eu.

The primary one being that Warpstock Europe will be celebrating its 20th
anniversary. The Dutch OS/2 VOICE is looking to team up with other
computer interest groups such as REXX LA and the Dutch HCC.
The Dutch HCC in turn has a whole bunch of groups dedicated to older
computers.

The event will be organized at the Stay Okay Soest on the 18th and 19th
of May 2019. Access for Saturday and Sunday costs 105 Dollars. This is a
discounted rate until the 31st of July 2018! Normal price is 120 Dollars.

For further information please visit https://www.warpstock.eu!
I need people to book as early as possible. I am doing this by mostly
alone and I am trying to get other groups of the Dutch HCC involved as
well. But this requires me to know as far ahead as possible how many
people are coming to the event. And if I need to book an extra event
room. The event rooms at the Youth Hostel are extremely popular!

Hope to see everybody at the 20th Warpstock Europe in Soest!

Best regards,

Roderick Klein

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Re: Announcing Warpstock Europe 2019!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 12:56:32 pm »
Is food and hotel (overnight)included in this price or is this "only" for the organization? It is very unlikely that I will have time to attend (May is allways full of work), but in case I could I would like to estimate the full costs for it Thanks.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 03:51:03 am »
May be its me, but I can't find "reasons" why it has to be so early.

Your sure about the amount? Look like the rate for a four person room. Could not book on the hostel site because the date is not accepted as booking date. Seems to be to far ahead.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 05:38:20 pm »
I think the rate is just for attending Warpstock, and the room costs are additional.

I wanted to go this year but couldn't. Knowning now when and where for next year makes it easier for me and my wife to plan.  See ya next year, and good luck organizing.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 09:48:02 pm »
Is food and hotel (overnight)included in this price or is this "only" for the organization? It is very unlikely that I will have time to attend (May is allways full of work), but in case I could I would like to estimate the full costs for it Thanks.

Read the link ?
https://www.warpstock.eu/
I did not want to make the annouchment text to long.

Of course and sadly that 105 Dollars is only for access but lunch is included both days. Dinner is not included, more information will follow later.

Roderick
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:50:12 pm by Roderick Klein »

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 10:48:09 pm »
May be its me, but I can't find "reasons" why it has to be so early.

Well in an edit that dropped out it has been reinserted:
https://www.warpstock.eu/

Your sure about the amount? Look like the rate for a four person room. Could not book on the hostel site because the date is not accepted as booking date. Seems to be to far ahead.

As it turns out they still did not add the rooms for next year...

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 09:36:04 pm »
Of course and sadly that 105 Dollars is only for access but lunch is included both days. Dinner is not included, more information will follow later. Roderick

Thanks for the Information, but this is to expensive for me. All the best and good luck!

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 12:42:02 am »
Of course and sadly that 105 Dollars is only for access but lunch is included both days. Dinner is not included, more information will follow later. Roderick

Thanks for the Information, but this is to expensive for me. All the best and good luck!

Uhuu well previous Warpstocks where between 25 and 30 Euro's per year.

The 105 Dollars translates to 89 Euro's. It includes lunch twice.
How much is that in Cologne in the Youth Hostel ? I forgot ? 7 Euro ?
It includes tea and coffee the whole day.

Also the rent of the room is more expensive on Saturday since I renting it for the evening as well. So people can stick around if they want...

So for 45 Euro a day. If you would look at your travel expenses from Germany if you would come and stay at a youth hostel or Hotel. I consider the cost small compared to the rest of the travel cost.

But that is just my 1 cent :-)

Roderick

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 08:23:58 am »

Uhuu well previous Warpstocks where between 25 and 30 Euro's per year.

The 105 Dollars translates to 89 Euro's. It includes lunch twice.
How much is that in Cologne in the Youth Hostel ? I forgot ? 7 Euro ?
It includes tea and coffee the whole day.

Also the rent of the room is more expensive on Saturday since I renting it for the evening as well. So people can stick around if they want...

I do not know why you are ranting here and why you compare it to our Meeting in Cologne, something I allways try to avoid.

But the truth is:

The costs for attendence at Cologne is 0,00 Euro (Zero) as Thomas Müller and me pay the fee for the room, the Coffee and Cake, there are 7 Euro for Lunch, that is all, if someone wants. Visitors are free to spent some money if they want to, and in the past years this money was handed over to i.e. Bitwise to sponsor projects. So - ALL the costs for the event have been sponsored each year by Thomas Müller and me - since 2015 (from 2013 to 2014 we used some of the sponsored Money for the next Event) - !!. We keep no Cent at all for us. And in addition: if you follow the Year by Year thread for this event at os2.org you will find the whole costs of this event as we usually show the bill of the youth hostel. So - for me - besides this event it is simply to expenesive to add another 200 or 300 Euro for a second event. As easy as this. And 120 US Dollar are today 102 Euros.

That said - our event live because of the participation of the visitors, they prepare everything for free as well, make Presentations and Thomas Müller is recording videos, that are postprocesses by Wolfgang Reineken and made available on the os2.org homepage by Andreas Roederer - all in their free/spare time. Thanks to every visitor these events are still alive and make such fun. And it will take place as long as there are some Visitors interested in.

Your comment is another reason for me to make it obvious not to attend in Soest.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:22:42 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 09:10:48 pm »
Sigurd, sorry for the misunderstanding I typed it to fast. All I was trying to point is that Warpstock Europe has alwasys costed per day around 25 to 30 Euro.  I was not trying to compare it your event.

And the only thing I compared to the event in Cologne is that the lunch is 7 Euro in the youth hostel. You can not get that much cheaper. That was all.

Your event is different in the sense that is takes place at the same location. I organize the event in the spring so its not in the way somehow interfere with your event or Warpstock US.

I wish I could BTW give people free access to Warpstock Europe, but that is to expensive  I try to organize the event around in the Netherlands or Germany.  Moving the event around makes it less cheap. A youth hostel is possibly one of the most cheapest locations you could organize the event. On average the cost is between 2000 and 2400 Euro for two days... Also more and more event locations they force a lunch into the package.  Infact the location for 2019 is a Youth Hostel.

We also publish what Warpstock Europe costs which is also BTW just 100% volenteer work.
Here you can see the year reports: http://www.os2voice.org/reports.html If you want I can publish the orginal invoices from the hotels as well. This year it cost me 700 Euro in total to travel to Berlin and book a little appartment. The cost where not paid by VOICE of course.  Even the stamps and phone cost for VOICE I pay out of my own pocket.

That you find it to expensive I respect that.

Roderick

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 12:27:14 pm »
I'm very much interested in attending BUT: when will be a more accurate schedule available? I'm planning to take my family with me (there seems to be a lot of sights near Soest and the hostel seems child-friendly) and the flights from Finland to Netherlands and back aren't cheap. A family room at the hostel has also its price. So it's most likely that I would attend Warpstock only for one day and that's why it's important to know what presentations are planned for each day so I could choose the better day for my intrests.