Author Topic: Sharing drives  (Read 4843 times)

Rick Smith

• View Profile
Sharing drives
« on: September 01, 2023, 06:54:08 am »
Greetings,

I have used arcamapper to connect to my NAS no issues there.  How can I share say a tmp dir on the arca box to say windows 11 so I can just drop stuff in there...

Regards,

Rick

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Sharing drives
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 01:37:52 pm »
I don't think you can bu what you describe. Arca mapper is just another name for SAMBA and has the same limitations.  When I need to transfer data from my windows datalogger I use ftp which also works with Linux Mint.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 06:43:53 pm »
Samba should be quite capable of doing what Rick wants, I've done similar with Win 10 where it was mostly a matter of matching passwords and workgroup. I think Win 11 (and perhaps later Win 10) changed how workgroups work. Someone here should know how.

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 06:52:03 pm »
ArcaMapper does work with SMB. I have a Samba share on my Ubuntu box where I defined the username, password, directory share and workgroup. I then told ArcaMapper what that info is and it mounts the remote share as a drive on Arca OS.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 04:45:11 pm »
Rick,

I think what you are asking about pertains to running a Samba server on the OS/2 side so that you can share one of your local directories, yes?

I do not have this configured here, but that server component does certainly exist and can be deployed. Not sure though if ArcaMapper, or NetDrive for that matter have any bearing on that functionality: in other words, the Samba server config is entirely manual and separate from those two.

To accomplish what you are talking about I found it much easier to create a separate share on my NAS box which is accessible by all other LAN devices. I use that as my exchange gateway and that does not require me to run the Samba server on my OS/2 box.

Granted, that approach works b/c I do NOT need to dynamically share massive amounts of OS/2 data.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 07:39:20 pm »
FWIW, there are two separate components in question.

• ArcaMapper is a client tool that uses components of both Samba and Netdrive to allow ArcaOS to access shares on another computer. It does not allow sharing ArcaOS resources out to other computers. ArcaMapper is not the same thing as Samba, although it makes use of a specialized subset of Samba.
  • Samba (generally referred to in ArcaOS as Samba Server) is an actual port of Samba which does allow sharing of local resources out to other computers. This seems to be the functionality you are asking about.

Both are included with ArcaOS, although Samba Server may not be installed by default depending on the installation personality you chose. (It can be installed after the fact.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 07:42:26 pm by Alex Taylor »

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 05:03:43 pm »
Here's some information I found on Samba. I will try this out later today myself.

http://trac.netlabs.org/samba/wiki

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 07:59:46 pm »
I was able to install the Samba server package from the netlabs.org distribution site. I can see the shares fine from my Mac and I am able to transfer files. I need to configure some of the user accounts but it works.