Author Topic: Java applications  (Read 259025 times)

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
Re: Java applications
« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2022, 08:12:30 am »
Hi Martin

Joop's OS/2 site went down shortly after the last post he made on his profile...

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 08, 2022, 05:44:06 am »
Does anyone actually know Joop? Hopefully he is OK, but thinking about all the people that have simply vanished leaves me wondering. At that if I dropped dead tomorrow, all that the community would know is silence. And we are an aging community.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 08, 2022, 07:03:47 am »
Does anyone actually know Joop? Hopefully he is OK, but thinking about all the people that have simply vanished leaves me wondering. At that if I dropped dead tomorrow, all that the community would know is silence. And we are an aging community.

Speak for yourself :) I'm *only* 47 :)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 10, 2022, 06:46:31 pm »
Heh Dave!

But we'd miss the fuzzy little bunny, Dave ............. !
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 10, 2022, 07:10:54 pm »
Heh Paul!

Speak for yourself :) I'm *only* 47 :)

My stepson will be turning 47 this year, Sir, and my stepdaughter ............ 50.

However I'm only 13 years older than her ............. and twelve years younger than my lovely wife, who does NOT look her age !

We also knew a Mystery writer here who sadly passed away on Vancouver Island this January (Frank W. Smith) - he was 94 but wrote and published his last novel, age 92 ................ !

Age is an attitude, kids - you can't do anything about health, other than treat problems, but we're not dead yet, and I still think, personally, there is LOTS to do yet - I was out clearing a bunch of Spring deadfall trees around my country property, here near Edmonton, Alberta, dragging them out and cording them with a bow saw for later chopping for our winter "comfort" time beside a warm roaring fire, with a glass of wine. Plan to enjoy celebrating 63 years on this planet on May 18!

So a fine day to all us youngsters, young, younger, and youngest and Best! 8)

M

""Age takes on things that youth will not do, because they say it will take too long"

Pliny the Elder
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 07:04:51 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 14, 2022, 05:16:30 pm »
I'm surprised by your concerns about my health, thank you. To help that out of the world, I'm alive and still kicking and very pissed off when it comes to OS/2. Surprised because my site didn't receive any visits than only (ro-)bot-systems. So I took it off-line. It could be on-line in a minute or so (I hope, because my provider is eaten by its big brother). Only on-line won't be of much help. Let me explain.

I'm pissed off on OS/2 because its the fourth time they shift nationalized version for a year. So, now I'm waiting for four years. Still no sign when it will come, if ever! I want my OS in my language in case of trouble and want to understand what's going on. English sucks when it comes to pinpointing problems. Don't get me wrong, I'm not alone in this. Next I did donate a lot of money for the new browser. And what pissed me off was the message in the end that you need at least a system with two processors, because its big (my databases are also big, no problem there). I use a P4 with 1G. Everything runs happy. Including concurrent Java versions for testing. So, I need a multiprocessor motherboard, this gives the problem I have to buy a new computer. Fine, money, not really a problem, getting it the way I want it, dream on. New motherboard multiprocessor means a system with no bios. My OS/2 versions (whatever its called) do not understand multiprocessor. So I need a new OS/2 (whatever its called) that does understand multiprocessor. But we are not there yet. New motherboards which might be available in MY COUNTRY are all without bios. So I need an OS/2 (whatever its called) that can support this. And here is a line, its not there yet.

Lets  assume I get it running, so new computer, new OS/2, but we still facing problems. We don't have a browser which is rock solid and with which you can do your thing on the internet. Still lots of trouble. Lots of promises which can't or are not fulfilled. An installation system which sucks while OS/2 has a nice system that addresses such problems. With FF I have problems on sources for Java programs. Next "Source Force" seems to play a faulty game, that's why most developers are going to Github. But with this switch all old versions are gone too. And we still stuck with Java 6.0. Github is big, but sucks when it comes to a ui with good search options. I'm not interested in code, I want ready to run Java programs. Up to now I'm unable to get a search pattern in Github which will do just that. And then you still have to deal with lots of misinformation. Programs on my Java pages can't be reached anymore because or its moved to Github, or its moved to an other directory, or its erased or Source Force has thought out other things. For sure I can't go there anymore because of FF too old. So I can't maintain my Java pages anymore (updating links). If I want that, then I need a new computer, new OS/2 (whatever its called) and a new browser. With the present problems with chip shortage, war's and lock downs due to diseases its a no, no and no. So getting my pages back on line won't help, almost all llnks to programs are obsolete. And there are other wishes.

Right now I'm typing this on a Raspberry Pi 400, in EU it cost you Euro 85.= if available. Quad core, 4Gb, twin Video output, USB and so on. Its an ARM, so Linux X86 doesn't run, programs have to be recompiled to ARM. Got SysJoker too, but that was a no go. SysJoker expects X86 family and  my processor is an ARM, so with the installation I got corrupt messages. That micro SD-card is erased, I had a backup. If you have a Windows system, boot without connection to the internet, systems like SysJoker want to do their thing in the boot process. If you are complaining about quality of the programs in OS/2, let me assure you its even worse in Linux, whatever they say. The first four months I had to make my keyboard understand Dutch, understand that it had to mount my Wacom tablet every time after booting. Had to find a way in the bash script that I can run a Java program the way I want it and so on. In short, Linux structure sucks and they issue new programs which are no where near for public without even testing it. That said, there are also little gems, so its not all negative. Right now I'm translating the manual from FidocadJ to Dutch. With it I  also have to update the translation of the program.

That's it for short. I'm watching these pages in order to find out when there is a new OS/2 (whatever they call it) and then find a system on which it  can run.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 14, 2022, 07:27:03 pm »
That's it for short. I'm watching these pages in order to find out when there is a new OS/2 (whatever they call it) and then find a system on which it  can run.

Well, ArcaOS 5.1 is well down the road to being released. The testing includes "NLV availability:    EN, CN, DE, ES, FR, IT, JA, KO, NL, TW" (RU is supposed to be there too, but is currently "broken", in more than one way). The Russian situation has caused delays.

I test ArcaOS 5.1 on single processor machines. Even Dooble (with known faults) runs pretty well on a 500 MB machine with single processor (Dell Dimension 4300 series, which is definitely JUNK). Dooble is slow (about the same as Firefox), but it works as well as it does on more capable machines (very limited testing).

ArcaOS is NOT going to work with an ARM processor. It must be x86 capable.

I keep track of when freinds, and relatives, get totally disgusted with windows performance and replace a perfectly good machine (usually less than 5 years old). Most of them can be used for OS/2, and most of the time, they give them to me, just to get rid of them.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 14, 2022, 08:09:28 pm »
ArcaOS is NOT going to work with an ARM processor. It must be x86 capable.
I know, but as FF on OS/2 is to far behind I had to replace the system with a more recent browser in order to keep access to some systems.
Good to know that it runs on a singe processor system, but my system is about 16 years old and behind for more modern disks.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 14, 2022, 08:58:22 pm »
Good to know that it runs on a singe processor system, but my system is about 16 years old and behind for more modern disks.

16 years is not "old". I test ArcaOS, with a few systems that are older  (including the Dell, which I am using to post this). I wouldn't want to be using any of them as my main machine. I do use one of them as an ArcaOS based NAS box. I got a SATA adapter, and now have a 2 TB SATA disk, for storage, and a SATA SSD for the boot system. It has 1 GB memory, a gigabit NIC, and a single P4 processor. It is a little slow (the bus speed, for the SATA card, is only 1.5 Gbs), but it does the job.

fusion

• View Profile
    • dcclost.com
« Reply #324 on: July 28, 2022, 08:10:21 pm »
If you can handle running two machines, WeirdX (one version before the newest.. the zip package with the .cmd file) works with Java 1.1.8 and works OK with chrome-based software (I can display Discord chat and a Chrome browser with it). Firefox did not fare well with it. neither did Konsole (xterm worked fine though)

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 27, 2022, 09:44:08 am »
If you can handle running two machines, WeirdX (one version before the newest.. the zip package with the .cmd file) works with Java 1.1.8 and works OK with chrome-based software (I can display Discord chat and a Chrome browser with it). Firefox did not fare well with it. neither did Konsole (xterm worked fine though)

Intriguing! Can you post some screenshots? I'm keen to give this one a shot myself.

fusion

• View Profile
    • dcclost.com
« Reply #326 on: August 29, 2022, 11:26:33 pm »
Intriguing! Can you post some screenshots? I'm keen to give this one a shot myself.

Here you go.

In the screenshot we have:

OS/2 Warp 4.5 in VM under Linux
WeirdX running in OS/2
Upper right is a terminal where Chromium-Ungoogled is running (Chrome without Google stuff).

To send it to OS/2 we have set the environment variable:

Code: [Select]
DISPLAY=192.168.1.89:2

That would change depending on the IP of the VM (or if it's from another machine on the network, the OS/2 machine's IP) and the config inside the weirdx.cmd file.

Inside the OS/2 VM we see the output of the Chrome process, as well as a plugin for Chrome to use the LINE messenger app.

In weirdx.cmd from the WeirdX distribution I have only changed:

rem set JAVA_HOME=\jdk1.1.6

to

set JAVA_HOME=C:\Java11

extra:

If you actually use the Linux machine as a desktop, it might be useful to have a separate browser you use for local vs remote (say Firefox & Chrome). If not, Chrome seems to find the previously-running copy and piggyback onto that one (displaying locally instead of to the OS/2 machine/VM)

The Linux host in the screenshot is running IceWM (from the original author of FTE!) and is using a modified warp3x theme.

Thomas Hellsén

• Electronics engineer & OS2/eCS user
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 25, 2022, 02:53:16 pm »
Hi Joop, I for one was sorry to see your site disappear. It was a useful resource for finding Java applications to run on eCS/ArcaOS. I checked it occasionally and I also thought your recommendations on how to make each program run (if it was possible) to be very useful.

Best regards, Thomas H.
/Thomas Hellsén

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #328 on: October 25, 2022, 03:47:19 pm »
Hi

We can get a little bit of Joop's Website on the WaybackMachine, but nothing compares to the real website online :(

I was hoping that someday I can upload the Open source, freeware, shareware Java applications that works under OS/2-ArcaOS-eCS on hobbes as part of my Hobbes reorganization project. And of course Joop's site will be my main input of information.

If some one wants to help with that now, I'm open to chat on the "Hobbes (Files) Reoganization" thread.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 25, 2022, 04:51:07 pm »
I'm pissed off on OS/2 because its the fourth time they shift nationalized version for a year. So, now I'm waiting for four years. Still no sign when it will come, if ever! I want my OS in my language in case of trouble and want to understand what's going on. English sucks when it comes to pinpointing problems. Don't get me wrong, I'm not alone in this.

Hi Joop,

I just stumbled across your post today. You are not alone. This is exactly the reason why my time and the money I invest in OS/2 and ArcaOS will also be close to zero.

No matter what the same people always bring for the same arguments as to why it doesn't work again, the result is that the NLV versions are simply not there. Fact. The same goes for WLAN.

We will have a nice, last OS/2 User meeting in Cologne on November the 5th and that's it.

For sure I will spent some time with the "Original" Warp 3 and Warp 4 Installations on my Retro Hardware, but there is no need for ArcaOS, the same applies to OS/2 in a virtual environment.

Wish you all the best, stay healthy!