Author Topic: Java applications  (Read 258701 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Re: Java applications
« Reply #255 on: January 24, 2020, 11:46:51 pm »
Did start FF again and finally I could download the file. Beats me what did go wrong, can't find it. But if others have similar results with downloading, please report. Also report if a link to a file seems broken. Sometimes the source moves to other places.

still cannot access to download
That's not my place but a link to the file. I can download that file without problems. Did you try the link in a browser?,because I get the feeling that you tried it not from a browser.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2020, 01:21:27 am »
Hi mauro

Instead of downloading v1.3.1 get v1.3.2 from https://jdiskreport.en.uptodown.com/mac/download

Some of the files in the zip package are for mac so you only need to unzip jdiskreport-1.3.2.jar and the *.TXT files.

Maybe Joop will want to update his webpage...

Regards

Pete

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 25, 2020, 08:16:32 am »
Hi mauro

Instead of downloading v1.3.1 get v1.3.2 from https://jdiskreport.en.uptodown.com/mac/download

Some of the files in the zip package are for mac so you only need to unzip jdiskreport-1.3.2.jar and the *.TXT files.

Maybe Joop will want to update his webpage...

Regards

Pete

thank you , it works! Only to remark that in the splash screen is shown as version 1.3.1

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 25, 2020, 03:57:25 pm »
Hi Pete,
If Mauro did download the file and it still gives version 1.3.1 then I don't trust the file with 1.3.2. Every developer doesn't forget to update such information as it is just text somewhere in the source.

Regards,
Joop

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2020, 03:04:49 am »
Hi

It is not the splash screen that shows 1.3.1 - that shows 1.3.2 - it is the main screen ie the screen asking "What do you want to do?"

No idea why that is... unless it simply was not changed in the code during the update from 1.3.1.

The Help -> About shows 1.3.2 - see attached image.

Here are the file sizes and dates of the files involved:-

Directory of J:\JAVA\JDISKREPORT

23-07-19 11:34p         <DIR>    609 ----  .
29-07-19  9:00p         <DIR>    612 ----  ..
18-12-09 11:58p     1,860,633    235 a---  jdiskreport-1.3.2.jar
12-01-07  1:08a        11,312    229 a---  JDiskReport.ICO
18-12-09 11:58p         1,046    225 a---  LICENSE.txt
18-12-09 11:58p         2,113    224 a---  README.txt
18-12-09 11:58p         6,206    231 a---  RELEASE-NOTES.txt

Are the above the same size and date as the 1.3.1 files?

Regards

Pete
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:11:02 am by Pete »

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 26, 2020, 06:48:13 pm »
Hi Pete and others,

There is a big change in the jar file jdiskreport-1.3.1_os2.jar  1.405.190, that is a big difference with jdiskreport-1.3.2.jar 1.860.633. Opening the jar tells me that this is not coming from JGoodies. JGoodies programs like this
a
a.class
b.class
c.class
and so on for everything.

Now with the claimed version 1.3.2 I found readable full names  like
ExtBasicCheckBoxMenuItemUI.class
ExtBasicMenuItemUI.class
ExtBasicMenuUI.class
ExtBasicPopupMenuSeparatorUI.class
ExtBasicRadioButtonMenuItemUI.class

Now you can't make something like the first and do something like the last. Somewhere you have to call those routines. And as JGoodies has all cut down to a, b, c ,d etc this is almost impossible, you have to decompile the source and your left with a,b ,c etc which makes it not easy to put in something like ExtBasicCheckBoxMenuItemUI.class on the right place. Also if someone is compiling his source down to something shown as a and a.class and so on, I can't believe that in a next version it will show full class names just on the last additions. 
And together with the explanation, which is totally bull in my opinion, this makes not that much difference in file size.

Some other strange thing;
jdiskreport-1.3.1_os2.zip 1.211.554
jdiskreport-1.3.2.zip             715.806
This says to me that version 1.3.2 is zipped with a more efficient zipper, then why use a less efficient zipper with the source with as result a bigger file? In the end a jar file is nothing more then a zip file.

So I go the safe side and use jdiskreport-1.3.1_os2.jar. As far as my information goes the next version is 1.4.1, but we need a higher level of Java and is available on the JGoodies website.

Just my opinion,
Joop
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:32:25 pm by Joop »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2020, 11:05:14 pm »
Hi Joop

I don't have any reason to suspect this package is not a jgoodies release but have emailed them to ask their opinion.

Out of interest I got around to trying the 1.4.1 release which seems to be working fine with my limited testing to date - see attached image - using OpenJDK 6, Version 1.6.0 Build 27 GA5. So far the only thing I have noticed that seems wrong is File -> Preferences produces a full screen notebook that cannot be resized.

Regards

Pete
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:23:03 pm by Pete »

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2020, 07:28:40 am »
I've also been using JDiskReport v.1.4.1 w. JDK 1.6.0 (ArcaOS) without any issues.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2020, 07:56:09 pm »
There shouldn't be any problems with jDiskReport 1.4.1 with our openjdk6.  I downloaded it quite some time ago after I found it for a friend to try and make sense with where the space had gone on his disk.  Yes it says that it will run with java6 but is happier with java7 and as Pete found the settings gives a full screen window that you can't resize but other than that it does what it says on the box.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 28, 2020, 10:48:41 am »
Anyone ever tried to run DocFetcher - http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/de/download.html - on OS/2? The say it requires java 1.7 so probably no joy. OTOH even regain seems to need 1.7. But I've tested it some time ago and it works. See - http://trac.netlabs.org/dataseeker/wiki/regain -

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 29, 2020, 07:43:55 pm »
I downloaded  jDiskReport 1.4.1 and installed it on my disk. Indeed it runs fine with our Java. Why it says Java 7/8 on download page beats me, in the readme you can read "JDiskReport 1.4.1 requires Java 6 or later. At least 64 MB
 of physical RAM is recommended to run JDiskReport.". I will update the page in the coming days, thanks for pointing me to this fact.
DocFetcher is an other thing. It hasn't a layout with a jar file and its setup for Windows, Linux and Apple. There are specific files for those three in two version 32 and 64. Don't know what these files do. So may be I have to go back to a version for specific Java 6 and see how to setup. My first attempts are not successful, but no complaints about Java version 6 so far.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 31, 2020, 09:08:21 pm »
As promised I have updated the page about JDiskReport. You can find the page here http://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/ecs6e140.htm or in Dutch here http://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/ecs6n140.htm.
There is not much more to tell than that some pages can't be resized and the file with bugs contains normally no bugs but some log information.
So have fun,
Joop

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 31, 2020, 09:14:06 pm »
Today I have added a new program to my Java corner on my website and its called Extended Text Editor. Its not something like Word, but it is also not just another text editor. See for yourself. You can find the page in English here http://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/ecs6e143.htm or in Dutch here http://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/ecs6n143.htm.

There is a picture too;

There is some kind of extended version, but the extension is in the types of files. More programming languages and alike. If I'm ready with that you will read it here  ;D.
Have fun,
Joop

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 01, 2020, 07:58:51 pm »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2020, 03:10:44 am »
Hi All

Looking at my boot drive - M:, using jDiskreport - I just noticed a \var directory that should not exist as my \var directory is located on drive J:

Investigating further I find that some java apps, jPDFViwer and jDiskreport definitely, create the directory tree [BootDrive]:\var\lib\odin with folders My Documents and Recent if these directories do not already exist on the boot drive.

I suspect this is happening because when I installed ArcaOS I installed the "nixy bits" - \etc, \usr, \var - to the boot drive but have now moved them to a different drive with more free space.

After hunting for some Java/Odin setting(s) pointing to M:\var I discovered a handful within the Registry Keys, HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> SOFTWARE -> MICROSOFT -> WINDOWS -> CURRENTVERSION -> Explorer -> Shell Folders and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> MICROSOFT -> WINDOWS -> CURRENTVERSION

Having changed all instances of M:\var to J:\var Java/Odin is now using the correct \var directory tree.

If anyone else moves their "nixy bits" from initial install drive to another drive the above info may come in handy.

Regards

Pete