Author Topic: Java applications  (Read 258850 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Java applications
« Reply #330 on: October 25, 2022, 07:13:37 pm »
The NLS versions do seem to be coming along, with it looks like EN, DE, ES, FR, IT, NL, RU at least will be available. I believe it is all volunteers doing the translating and there is a lot to translate.
I'm not speaking for Arca Noae so could be wrong

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 28, 2022, 08:52:19 pm »
The NLS versions do seem to be coming along, with it looks like EN, DE, ES, FR, IT, NL, RU at least will be available. I believe it is all volunteers doing the translating and there is a lot to translate.
I'm not speaking for Arca Noae so could be wrong
Sorry, lot to translate? Only totally new stuff, all other translations are already there. And doing the translation is also something with some lets say "smell" around it if I had understood the comments in the Dutch user group, many years ago, correct.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2022, 09:09:16 pm »
Hi Joop, I for one was sorry to see your site disappear. It was a useful resource for finding Java applications to run on eCS/ArcaOS. I checked it occasionally and I also thought your recommendations on how to make each program run (if it was possible) to be very useful.

Best regards, Thomas H.
Thank you for your visits to my site, I can set the site back, that is not a problem, the real problem is that many developers left Sourceforge due to their new policies. With it also the version which could run on Java 6 disappeared. Next Sourceforge did shift a lot of directories so that links don't work and they upgraded the site so it doesn't work any more with FF we have. Last, lot of developers deleted the versions which did run with Java 6. So in the end, setting my site back doesn't help much. If you have a Java program which won't run, put it up here. I still have OS/2 on a machine, just have to push the button. Today I'm typing on a Raspberry PI, the good news from that is that lots of Java programs from my site still do work fine with Java 11. Another thing I noticed is that lots of programs in U-nix are in fact beta or worse, no where near for public, but that is my oppinion, ask U-nix users and they disagree, where did we hear that before ;-). So, don't complain when it doesn't do what you want when your in OS/2, its not better in U-nix, its different.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2022, 09:14:16 pm »
Hi Joop

Sorry but I don't understand what .." "smell" around it " means.

When ArcaOS 5.0 was released, I checked on Alfredo for the Spanish translation of ArcaOS. I wanted to collaborate and see what can be done. Even if you think that Warp 4.52 was already translated, translating all the rest of ArcaOS to Spanish was a hell of a job. It was too much work and I quit and let Alfredo with that.

There was a matrix with all the stuff to translate and it was just too much work, and also the complexity since not all the programs use the same standard file to translate. It was hard to get the text file that you needed to translate and understand the context... I just quit that... sorry Alfredo !!

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 28, 2022, 09:19:05 pm »
Sorry, lot to translate? Only totally new stuff, all other translations are already there. And doing the translation is also something with some lets say "smell" around it if I had understood the comments in the Dutch user group, many years ago, correct.

EVERYTHING needs to be translated (by volunteers). Any reference to "OS/2" needs to be translated to "ArcaOS" (for example, and there are many more),  It takes a LOT of work to find those things, and decide how to change the English version, then the translators need to translate it, then other translators need to make sure that the translation got done properly, and on, and on.

That doesn't include the work required to be able to build the installers for each language (which includes translating the installers). Then all of it needs to be tested, fixed, and tested again.

It is a HUGE project, and it all takes a lot of time, and effort.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 28, 2022, 09:26:23 pm »
Hi Joop

Sorry but I don't understand what .." "smell" around it " means.

In other words, there was a mismatch with the group which did the translation in Dutch up to eCS2.2. I heard this which is sad. From one I got a book which is usefull with translations. I translate programs, yes, translating can be time consuming and you have to run the program in order to see if the translation is right because English as language sucks because words can have very different meanings.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2022, 11:52:51 pm »
Hi

Does Hot Java Browser still runs on the latest OpenJDK that we have? The Rexx script does not run on my side.
It is just for fun, I'm not expecting to do much with it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #337 on: November 20, 2022, 03:30:51 pm »
English as language

Is a mixture of pre-historical Northern European of I1 haplogroup (that you're feel as your native language) and Indo-European of R1b haplogroup (absolutely different, it came with agriculture).

It's known problem :-) I wrote this message via Google Translator :-)

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 20, 2022, 07:52:57 pm »
Another OT post from me:

English as language sucks because words can have very different meanings
In German, there are even more terms with different meanings, so English is somehow easy for me. Moreover, we have trendy terms that sound English, but even don't exist there. And often expressions are directly translated, while the meaning depends on the context and is different in both languages.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #339 on: February 15, 2023, 03:24:24 am »
Hi

By any chance does someone remember which was the latest Netbeans IDE that run under OS/2 with Java 6 ?
And any change you have the REXX script to make it run?

I'm guessing it was Netbeans 6.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2023, 03:32:35 pm »
The last version I ran was 3.4, running on IBM Java 1.3, circa 2002
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #341 on: February 18, 2023, 04:45:39 pm »
Hi

According to EDM/2 the last version that used to run was Netbeans 5.5.1
http://www.edm2.com/index.php/NetBeans

The Java Corner used to have a .cmd file to run it, but I can not found the link on archive.org.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 18, 2023, 09:00:26 pm »
My OS/2 pages are set back to its original directory, all should work. There is no way I can get with any browser on my system to the internet. I get  SSL errors and all http are set to https. So I have no way to test my pages in OS/2. I'm typing this on a Raspberry Pi 400. Today www sucks all the  way, search engines (if you can call it that way) don't give the answers on your question. If I set only Dutch then more then 90% is English with pages not in the Netherlands. How difficult is that? If it has no hits then say so or just show the hits which are what you did ask. With no shops and no  correct search results it will be difficult to get what you want. I need lots of time just to find the most simple thing. Very depressing if you have a creative mind which does compose equipment much faster then you ever can design on a computer. So what you see around is stupid people which needs a phone for there shopping list, I do that with my head. The only thing people do with there computer, if they know what that is, is playing stupid games. So to speak with Number 5 (from the movie) no input is no output. They don't read books, don't do interesting things with their computer and only look at that stupid phone. People get stupid by the minute if it is not even faster.

Franz Blender

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 18, 2023, 09:17:28 pm »
I am happy that the site is online again
Franz Blender

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #344 on: February 18, 2023, 10:46:08 pm »
Thanks Joop.

I'm accessing your website from here and seems to work fine: https://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/indexe.htm

I'm also checking the Netbeans page and seems that you have reports of the 7.3.1 working. I will try it out: https://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/ecs6e36.htm
I found this older version of Netbeans here: https://github.com/tim-lebedkov/packages/releases/download/2019_Q1/netbeans-7.3.1-netbeans-7.3.1-201306052037-javase.zip

Regards
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 11:13:53 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster