Author Topic: Java applications Jedit 5.1.0  (Read 28761 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Re: Java applications Jedit 5.1.0
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40:45 pm »
Hi all,

I created a ticket about this problem: http://svn.netlabs.org/java/ticket/223

If it is really common to latest jEdit and jAlbum, it is not application related, IMHO.

Bye
Gabriele
I just tried JAlbum latest (11.4) with same setup of Odin/Java with which I tested jEdit 5.1.0 and I didn't have any trouble. To me its very application related and the problems with jEdit did start as soon as they kicked out all OS/2 code because someone believed that OS/2 was dead and not in use anymore. They made a test version, 5.whatever beta's and all failed. So its not a real surprise that 5.1.0 failed too. I did put in lots of documentation, but it seems of no help. It seems that the branch for reading drives, directories and files gets into some kind of loop because they probably nested it in the wrong way. The read data gets a 1 and the next time they add another 1 to it, so it reads next directory or something. I'm just guessing...

Cheers,
Joop

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 12:35:05 am »
Maybe if someone can test "jEdit 5.1.0" on OpenJDK (our same level) on Linux to see if it have the same error. I think with that we will give us some hints if it is a OpenJDK bug or application bug.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 07:39:05 am »
I might have to test 11.4, had to go looking to find which one I had the file problems with, that was jalbuminstall-11.2.5.jar (v11.2.5).

The problem as far as I could see was in the application more that our version of Java.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 05:14:24 pm »
Hi All

I thought I'd try jalbum to see what happens here.

I downloaded jalbuminstall.jar and ran it from the download directory. The install started, I clicked OK for the English option and the install proceeded - until about 85% complete (approximation of progress bar position) at which point it looks like it gets stuck.

After 5 minutes I killed the process and tried again. Same result as above.

I tried the various install tips on the jalbum website but install looks like it is stopping in the same place every time.

Is there any way of logging the install to discover where it gets stuck?

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 07:19:46 pm »
I downloaded jalbuminstall.jar

Well, that was your first mistake. I gave up on the JAlbum installer, years ago.

I just downloaded the ZIP file, for everything (last one in the list), unzipped it, replaced my old install (which was ancient), and it seems to work okay with the latest JAVA from the eCS Software Subscription site.

I have no interest in JEdit, but I may give it a try later.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 07:40:58 pm »
The JEdit installer (jedit5.1.0install.jar) seems to work okay. I did not try the CMD file. I used the method that I always use. The program starts okay, but it seems that trying to open a file causes the file open routine to concatenate every drive and directory, that it ever saw.

My conclusions are:
Our JAVA 16 (latest from the eCS Software Subscription, with the latest ODIN) is working as it should.
JAlbum works, as it should (but I didn't try the installer, which has never worked, for me).
The JEdit 5.1.0 file open dialog is badly broken, making the program unusable.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 12:01:30 am »
Hi Pete,

jAlbum 11.4.1 works here without any problems but you do have to get the zip file - as Doug said - because none of the installers work on OS/2.  In fact I may have been partly instrumental in them keeping the zip version because I complained when the installer wouldn't work on OS/2 and asked that they reinstate the zip version.  I will praise them for the effort they take to keep it working on our OS.

Joop

• View Profile
Re: Java application JAlbum
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 02:28:07 am »
I just downloaded the ZIP file, for everything (last one in the list), unzipped it, replaced my old install (which was ancient), and it seems to work okay with the latest JAVA from the eCS Software Subscription site.
For all who are struggling with JAlbum;

Don't download the installer file, do download the zip file, for more info please visit

http://joopn.home.xs4all.nl/os2ecs/ecs6e1.htm

Version is not latest, for the rest of it, this is what I use and I have JAlbum up and running within 5 minutes, probably less  ;)

Cheers,
Joop

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 03:33:45 am »
Hi All

No problem running jAlbum having followed advice and downloaded the zip file.

Looks like the directory/file problem is jedit 5.1.0 specific as jAlbum does not have any problems listing drives, directories and files.

Regards

Pete

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 05:58:20 am »
I agree with everyone else, use the jalbum zip file, none of the installers have worked for a very long time.

I cut and pasted the wrong file name as I grab the jar file for my wife, the one I should have cut n pasted was jalbum11.2.5.zip
Cheers
Ian B Manners

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 11:12:31 am »
Ian, the latest is jAlbum 11.4.0 and is just jalbum.zip.  They only put the version numbers on the older versions, the current version is always jalbum.zip which can be a bit confusing if you don't rename them after download.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 05:50:21 pm »
Hi Ivan,

I rename them as I download them, I dislike overwriting in case I find I have to back level, thats why I had to check the file name left in the directory but I scraped the jar file name instead of the zip file and pasted that in my post above, didnt give it a second thought until I came back and read the follow posts.

The latest Jalbum zip does work but now I need to find a new skin, as my previous skin doesn't like the new Jalbum. Thats a skin version check thing though, so at least the lastest JAlbum works ok. Back to Jedit - nothing to see here with JAlbum now.

I do wonder though if there was a Java compiler issue or something that caused the filename problems ? Just a fleeting thought.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 07:17:29 pm »
Hi Ian,

I'm not quite sure how a compiler cockup would cause a problem just for OS/2, especially when all the other java applications that I use run the file open without problems - even their earlier version works.  It is more like they were attempting something smart that works on windows and have now out smarted themselves.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 12:17:45 am »
The latest Jalbum zip does work but now I need to find a new skin, as my previous skin doesn't like the new Jalbum. Thats a skin version check thing though, so at least the lastest JAlbum works ok. Back to Jedit - nothing to see here with JAlbum now.
I have the same problem, but as soon as you go to use it, JAlbum comes up with a question if you want to download a new version, just agree. Its all going automatic from there, of course you need to be connected.
After that you need to restart the program so the new plugin is effective. Goes very smooth.

Cheers,
Joop

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 02:04:33 am »
I just tried JAlbum latest (11.4) with same setup of Odin/Java with which I tested jEdit 5.1.0 and I didn't have any trouble.
Sorry, JAlbum latest is 11.4.1. Installed it and it just runs. Did open and close a few things. The only annoying thing is a popup for registering the stuff.

Cheers,
Joop