Author Topic: Turn off PC by power button  (Read 17705 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Turn off PC by power button
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 04:25:36 am »
Different implementations of the ACPI standard would be my guess. There's usually the official implementation and then various unofficial implementations, often used or pushed by MS. I believe we're using the official implementation.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 07:28:31 pm »
Hi Andy.

One other thing,  you can't use the /noacpi switch on the PSD line in the config.sys (I use it so that the screen brightness can be changed via the FN keys).  You need to hold the key down for 1/2s to 1 sec, if it is going to work.  3s-4s will do a BIOS poweroff (bypassing ACPI and thus no processing to do a clean shutdown).

I just have "PSD=ACPI.PSD" on the config sys without the /noacpi, so I guess it is just a different ACPI standard on the machine. I can not make the power button to call the shutdown procedure. The screen brightness on the SL500 is not working also Fn+Home and Fn+End don't do anything on this machine.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 04:14:04 pm »
Hi Andy.

One other thing,  you can't use the /noacpi switch on the PSD line in the config.sys (I use it so that the screen brightness can be changed via the FN keys).  You need to hold the key down for 1/2s to 1 sec, if it is going to work.  3s-4s will do a BIOS poweroff (bypassing ACPI and thus no processing to do a clean shutdown).

I just have "PSD=ACPI.PSD" on the config sys without the /noacpi, so I guess it is just a different ACPI standard on the machine. I can not make the power button to call the shutdown procedure. The screen brightness on the SL500 is not working also Fn+Home and Fn+End don't do anything on this machine.

Regards

I don't know what Fn+Home and Fn+End do on that machine but it _possible_ that adding the /noacpi could allow those to work.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 11:49:36 pm »
Hi Andy

Sorry, I didn't understand you since you said "You can't use the /noacpi".

I would like to confirm that with /noacpi the power button is shutting down ArcaOS and the Fn+Home and Fn+End to increase the brightness of the screen are also working !!

Thanks.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 12:34:54 am »
Hi Andy

Sorry, I didn't understand you since you said "You can't use the /noacpi".

I would like to confirm that with /noacpi the power button is shutting down ArcaOS and the Fn+Home and Fn+End to increase the brightness of the screen are also working !!

Thanks.

Well, /noacpi is required for the brightness.  It was not expected that the shutdown via power button would work with /noacpi.

Mikhail

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 04:02:23 pm »
I apologize for the retro posting.
But I would like to note that the problem has not been solved, since adding the /noacpi key does not allow the system to shut down correctly.
When loading, the disk check starts, this should not be the case.