Author Topic: Display issue !  (Read 6135 times)

Remy

• View Profile
Display issue !
« on: July 19, 2018, 04:08:28 am »
I use panorama.
since my os upgrade, I have more often the screen from below picture and system hung when I do a CAD to go into the CAD menu
In the last 24h, i've got it 5 times...
To recover, I have to power off/on + chkdsk disk   

Any idea about what could be the culprit ?   

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Display issue !
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 07:02:45 am »
I get similar after running Mozilla apps for a while. Here I've always assumed it was from running out of low memory.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:26:17 am »
I think it's the known graphic problem which shows up on modern BIOSes sometimes. It looks like the well know issue which causes rock solid hangs when switching to full screen sessions sometimes. You can test this with opening cmd windows in full screen and switching back and forth. But the 'known' problem does not occur every time so you've to test often to reproduce the hang.

As CAD tries to open a full screen session this sounds to be the case with Remy. But there are other not so obvious reasons when OS/2 tries to switch to full screen. F.i. when OS/2 detects IP address conflicts or when it traps. The graphic system can not reliable switch to full screen on a lot of modern boards. Currently it's not clear if these are BIOS issues or Panorama problems or some problem in the OS/2 graphic system components.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:43:01 pm »
I use CPU mask to only use real 4 CPUs.
I increased virtualaddresslimit to 2048 and 3072 but it didn't resolve the problem.
Sometimes, it looks like it is linked with the WPS !  ( ex: adding a desktop object, moving its place and locking it -> CAD and freeze ! ) without loading any applications...   

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 04:17:24 pm »
Remy, do you get the same thing happening if you the SNAP video drivers?

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:05:01 pm »
Hi Ivan,

I do not use SNAP which does not support 16/10 "wide screen" natively for my i7 5775 with integrated graphic processor.
Switching from one driver to an other is not end user friendly (no GUI et... like for other options for which end-user easy to use options are missing)

Regards
Remy

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:17:00 pm »
Strange SNAP works very well with my 28inch 1920x1200 (16x10) monitor on all my AMD multi core processors with integrated graphics (AMD A10-9700 and AMD Sempron 3850 but I haven't tried it with the Ryzen 3 2200G because that is still an experimental build).

Since you are using an Intel processor have you considered the effect the bug ridden Intel Management Engine might have ?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/19/intels_management_engine_patches/