Author Topic: Security Certs  (Read 5422 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Security Certs
« on: July 19, 2018, 04:42:58 pm »
Is there a way of updating the security certs in firefox 17.0.11?  I am now encountering some problems with some https sites that are asking for newer certs.

BTW, I know that version is old but it works on my old dell laptop and I don't want to mess with OS/2 that I managed to get working on that machine.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Security Certs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 05:46:02 pm »
I don't think so without recompiling and linking against the system NSS (and NSPR) library and I'm not sure if that is possible.
You could try replacing cert8.db in your profile with one from a newer Firefox. Make sure you back up your profile first. Unluckily I don't think that'll help with the root certificates and I'm not even sure if FF17 can support the newer security features out of the box.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:26:59 pm »
Thanks Dave, that was what I was afraid of.  Now I suppose I will have to experiment with one of the newer builds and see if I can find the magic incantation, or a zip file with all the necessary extraneous dlls that seem to be necessary with the newer builds. I suppose that is what retirement is for, though it would help if the maintainers put together a compliation of the actual dlls they use (not a list of rpms which may or may not work) to run their build.

In passing I must thank you for your 17.0.11 esr build that has worked so well for so long.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 02:19:22 am »
http://os2news.warpstock.org/Warpzilla.html should have zips of all the needed DLLs.
For the hell of it, I might try recompiling FF17 tonight just to see if it will compile with GCC 4.92 and link against the RPM installed NSS. Be interesting how fast it builds, the latest takes a good 3 hours with my current 2.4Ghz quad core C2D.