OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

SIO, SIO2K

(1/6) > >>

OS4User:
Message from Ray Gwinn:

====
I am willing to open source SIO, SIO2K and all its parts, like VMODEM under a GPL license. But I cannot do it myself. If someone could come to my home in Beckley, WV I would let them work with it and provide what help I can.

It would not be a small effort, could be as much as two weeks for a very good programmer. All my stuff is in 386 assembler and I use the advanced features of MASM. Many assembler programmers would be confused by the code. I even use PERL scripts during the make process. It could also be as short as a few hours, if the computer is dead.
====

anyone from US to help?

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Sorry, but releasing as open-source, does that not mean the stuff could simply be 'published' to a public repo? Say Github or Netlabs maybe?

Martin Iturbide:
Hi OS4User

It is good that Ray wants to open source his SIO, SIO2K, but I think it will be hard to find someone with OS/2 device driver development skills to physically go to his home and work there.

I assume that Ray needs help to remove some of the IBM source code on his driver so it can be open sourced. If possible I will like to provide a counter offer to Ray. Let's post his SIO, SIO2K source code into a netlabs close source svn repository until we can find a device driver developer to work on remove the IBM components of the driver so it can be fully open source.

I think that we can turn SIO and SIO2K driver into a "close source collaborative project" on netlabs for the moment, until some IBM dependencies can be removed.

Regards

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on August 06, 2018, 04:16:32 am ---Hi OS4User

It is good that Ray wants to open source his SIO, SIO2K, but I think it will be hard to find someone with OS/2 device driver development skills to physically go to his home and work there.

I assume that Ray needs help to remove some of the IBM source code on his driver so it can be open sourced mainly because of the IBM DDK license. If possible I will like to provide a counter offer to Ray. Let's post his SIO, SIO2K source code into a netlabs close source svn repository until we can find a device driver developer to work on remove the IBM components of the driver so it can be fully open source.

I think that we can turn SIO and SIO2K driver into a "close source collaborative project" on netlabs for the moment, until some IBM dependencies can be removed.

Regards

--- End quote ---

OS4User:

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on August 06, 2018, 03:39:44 am ---Sorry, but releasing as open-source, does that not mean the stuff could simply be 'published' to a public repo? Say Github or Netlabs maybe?

--- End quote ---

I also think so.

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on August 06, 2018, 04:16:32 am ---...I think it will be hard to find someone with OS/2 device driver development skills to physically go to his home and work there.

--- End quote ---

No need to work there  - just pickup the sources.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version