Author Topic: AvxCat  (Read 16183 times)

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
AvxCat
« on: August 12, 2018, 03:05:52 pm »
Hi there,
I used to have a Thinkpad R52 (ECS installed as OS.) where I would use Avxcat to convert .wav files from CD to .mp3.
The R52 does not work any longer so I decided to install AvxCat on my X61 with ArcOs installed.
According to the documents I have all files needed. The strange thing is Avxcat cannot read any CDs with .wav files: I have a USB-DVD drive and a DVD-Drive (read only) in the docking station. Inserting a CD (music) in the drive no files are shown in Avxcat. If I insert a DVD Avxcat shows the files on the dvd. I do not have any problems with CDs f.e. if I use PM123 to play the CDs or the CDPlayer classic in multimedia folder. I have RSJ CD Writer installed and it shows the .wav files on the CDs too.
Any Idea?

Cheers
Holger

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: AvxCat
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 05:38:15 pm »
I think that you can't directly read music CD's. You could copy the wav files that RSJ sees to your hard drive and manipulate them there or use something like leech http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/cd/grabber/leech120.zip to rip them to your hard drive.
There's also leechmp3 http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/sound/convert/leechmp3_370.exe that takes care of all the steps of converting audio CD's to mp3.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 06:09:58 pm »
Did you have something like tonigy installed?  Seems like there is something else that did the job such that I no longer needed tonigy but can't think of what it was now as I rarely listen to music any more and thus have had little need to access CDs.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 08:42:59 pm »
Hi there,
I used to have a Thinkpad R52 (ECS installed as OS.) where I would use Avxcat to convert .wav files from CD to .mp3.
The R52 does not work any longer so I decided to install AvxCat on my X61 with ArcOs installed.
According to the documents I have all files needed. The strange thing is Avxcat cannot read any CDs with .wav files: I have a USB-DVD drive and a DVD-Drive (read only) in the docking station. Inserting a CD (music) in the drive no files are shown in Avxcat. If I insert a DVD Avxcat shows the files on the dvd. I do not have any problems with CDs f.e. if I use PM123 to play the CDs or the CDPlayer classic in multimedia folder. I have RSJ CD Writer installed and it shows the .wav files on the CDs too.
Any Idea?

Cheers
Holger

Hi,
I think you are unable to use analog ArcaOS or OS/2 base player too due your CD has no analog output and then no direct WAV.
You should be able to work with wav using cdda2wav as written under AVxCAT guide (be carefull about the right version to use and enable the corresponding option under AVxCAT parameters). cdda2wav copies each tracks to WAV. It cold take a few minutes. Next solution is faster with good results. If you don't have or want use cdda2wav or it doesn't work for you or isn't fast enough, as an alternative, install Tonigy driver, Your CD will then be visible as WAV files (under wav path) and you'll be able to convert them from under AVxCAT

Best regards,
Remy

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:06:09 pm by Remy »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 10:12:25 pm »
Hi there,
Any Idea?

Cheers
Holger

Hi Holger,
I checked my code and found having a bug in it which makes no more go into cdda2wav process for attached CD (audio)
Please send me an emall from my webpage and I'll send you a corrected build for use with cdda2wav
-cdda2wav must be iunto libpath and libc05 dll into dllpath.
http://remydodin.levillage.org/en/   contact link or use AVxCAT help =W write to the author.

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:44:41 am »
Hi Remy,
just sent you an Email, thank you for your help.

Cheers
Holger

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 05:55:18 pm »
AVxCAT update build sent (out of current 1.5 corrected for cdda2wav beta working on)
Wating on feedbacks

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 06:50:48 pm »
Thank you Remy!!
I definitely will give you feedback! I will try later this evening or tomorrow.

Cheers
Holger

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 06:42:57 pm »
I think that you can't directly read music CD's. You could copy the wav files that RSJ sees to your hard drive and manipulate them there or use something like leech http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/cd/grabber/leech120.zip to rip them to your hard drive.
There's also leechmp3 http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/sound/convert/leechmp3_370.exe that takes care of all the steps of converting audio CD's to mp3.

Hi Dave, even RSJ can do this, it can convert directly to .ogg files, but only to .ogg. Remys Avxcat is far more sophisticated and provides many more features with one GUI But thank you for your suggestions.

Cheers
Holger

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 02:15:23 am »

Hi Dave, even RSJ can do this, it can convert directly to .ogg files, but only to .ogg. Remys Avxcat is far more sophisticated and provides many more features with one GUI But thank you for your suggestions.

Cheers
Holger

New update sent

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 06:43:00 pm »
Updating AVxCAT to make it compatible with libcddb too.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 10:34:22 pm »
I'm looking for 2 or 3 more tester for the next AVxCAT build (including many updates, cd to other codec including video, libcddb support ...)
Those interested to test can send me an email from my web site or from under current AVxCAT build.
Cheers
Remy   

Holger Schuett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 05:03:19 pm »
Hi there,

I would like to use this opportunity to recommend Avxcat to everyone who is interested in having a great program /GUI to use for converting audio and/or video files. And the most important thing:
Remy Dodin, the author, is really interested in feedback from users. I had several problems/questions and Remy was more than helpful and appreciative. For example I had problems with one USB-Drive when using AvxCat and Remy came up with a great solution within hours!
Go ahead and give it a try.

Cheers and once again thank you to Remy

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 05:53:15 pm »
I'll second that, Remy has been very responsive to issues with AVxCAT and it is a good program.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 06:08:32 pm »