Author Topic: System cannot find the file "RESOURCE.SYS "  (Read 6569 times)

jhong

System cannot find the file "RESOURCE.SYS "
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:42:34 am »
Hey guys,

Been trying to install ArcaOS and I seem to just keep running into this message. It boots off the usb stick fine, I can setup my partitions, and install ArcaOS. But upon reboot this is what I see:

Processors Initialized: 1
The system cannot find the file "RESOURCE.SYS".

I think I might have run into this before way way back, but have no idea how I got past that back in my original OS/2 days. Ideally, I'm trying to setup a dual boot between ArcaOS and Linux Mint. Are there any users out there running that particular combo?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:20:38 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: System cannot find the file "RESOURCE.SYS "
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 04:16:53 pm »
How are you dual booting? This error is often caused by OS/2 getting confused about what its drive letter is.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:16:03 pm »
Hey guys,

Been trying to install ArcaOS and I seem to just keep running into this message. It boots off the usb stick fine, I can setup my partitions, and install ArcaOS. But upon reboot this is what I see:

Processors Initialized: 1
The system cannot find the file "RESOURCE.SYS".

I think I might have run into this before way way back, but have no idea how I got past that back in my original OS/2 days. Ideally, I'm trying to setup a dual boot between ArcaOS and Linux Mint. Are there any users out there running that particular combo?

While still working on eCS I did see this error message also once. Is this an HP system ?
I think you might be better to open a ticket at mantis.arcanoaecom.

Roderick Klein

jhong

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 01:46:05 am »
Success! The issue was that I was using the default options...  Under the Modern Hardware, ACPI setting...I needed to just have it set as Modern Hardware, no ACPI. It install's flawlessly...now just to get dual boot working.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 02:44:04 am »
Snow just to get dual boot working.

Partition the disk with OS/2 tools, I created partitions for / /home and /boot, install grub in /boot and use Airboot to boot /boot, which should be labeled Linux if you used ext4, when you want to run Mint.

jhong

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 03:36:37 am »
Hi Dave, I was wondering if you could go into more detail...  So, I use the ArcaOS system management to create the partitions? How many do I make?

And when I use the Linux Mint 19 installer, I don't see an option to install grub into anywhere specific, it just does it by itself automatically I think whenever I install Mint.

Partition the disk with OS/2 tools, I created partitions for / /home and /boot, install grub in /boot and use Airboot to boot /boot, which should be labeled Linux if you used ext4, when you want to run Mint.
[/quote]

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 06:02:12 am »
OK, it has been a while since I installed Mint, and it was version 18.3.
In my case, I actually used DFSee, www.dfsee.com to do the partitioning, and the disk checker on the ArcaOS install DVD is a cut down version of it which may work, OS/2's LVM will work as well. The important thing is to partition so that partitions end up on cylinder boundaries, LVM info doesn't get lost etc.
Here I have 32GB for /boot, 76 GB for / and 180 GB for /home as well as 32 GB for swap, probably overkill but /boot actually needs quite a bit of space as every kernel update leaves the old kernel there.
I found when using the disk tool in the Mint installer that I needed /boot before it let me put Grub there as it refused to put it in /, unluckily I forget the exact method I used, I do remember quite a bit of trial and error to get it to use my existing partitions and put grub on /boot

jhong

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 05:55:01 am »
Thank you for the information, David! I was able to make this work (though not with Mint). Strangely, Mint's installer did not have the option for selecting how and where you want the bootloader to be installed during the installation. Xubuntu (and I'll assume the other Ubuntu flavors) did. So like what you suggested, I used ArcaOS to create all the partitions. My setup is just a ArcaOS and Linux dual boot. My partition layout:

1. ArcaOS = primary C:
2. Linux /boot = primary (no drive letter)
3. Linux / = primary (no drive letter)
4. Linux swap = logical (no drive letter)
5. Linux /home = logical (no drive letter)
6. FAT32 (Arca D: drive) = logical D:

So, ArcaOS was used to create these partitions. Then I rebooted and installed Xubuntu, I needed to use "Other" during its installation when it came time to ask me how it wanted to be installed on the drive and manually selected the Linux partitions and selected their mnt points. It was in Xubuntu where during the "Other" install that it lets you select where you want the Linux bootloader to be, I went with the Linux /boot. Then, afterwards, when the Xubuntu install was finished. I rebooted and immediately, Airboot was able to launch Xubuntu without any issues. So once that was done, I put in the Arca thumbdrive, and began the installation for ArcaOS. The Arca disk utility did need to fix something, I let it...reboot and restart the installer. Installed in the C: ArcaOS partition I had made earlier using JFS. And, it all works flawlessly. Took quite a bit of time with trial and error, but this did the trick. I'm only dual booting as its only a 250 GB SSD I have installed. I'll give a triple (ArcaOS, Windows, Linux) boot setup a try sometime down the road if I get a large enough SSD someday.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 07:20:42 am »
Good to hear. IIRC, with the Mint 18.3 install, I only got the option about where to put the bootloader when I had a /boot partition but I forget the particulars.
As a bonus, you should be able to open C: in Linux, it has to be as root (or sudo) as it won't have any permissions.