Author Topic: Warpstock 2018 Questions  (Read 20506 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Warpstock 2018 Questions
« on: September 05, 2018, 04:24:28 pm »
Hi

First of all, I want to thank the people that sponsored my trip to Warpstock this year. If everything goes fine I will be there video streaming the event.

The agenda for Warpstock 2018 is now online and I want to ask you if have any questions about those topics that can be asked in anticipation of the event.

Also, I hope to be connected to #netlabs on the IRC those days to get questions for the speakers.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Warpstock 2018 Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 06:17:52 pm »
Hi Martin,

The burning question which I don't know which section it would fit is:  when are we likely to see a working USB 3.0 / 3.1 driver?

It is becoming almost impossible to use a modern motherboard because they are using USB 3.0 for keyboard and mouse connectors now ps/2 appears to be long gone. 

Eduardo Vila Echagüe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:43:28 pm »
Hola, Martín,

I see in the Agenda a topic: ArcaOS preloaded computers.

I would like to know it there will be any ArcaOS preloaded laptop.

Saludos,

Eduardo Vila Echagüe
Santiago, Chile

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 11:17:53 pm »
Hi ivan

You are nearly right about the lack of PS/2 sockets on current mainboards but I did notice 1 current mainboard that has both Mouse and Keyboard PS/2 sockets so if you are looking then check if this mainboard is suitable https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/AMD+Socket/Socket+AM4+-+AMD+B450/ASUS+PRIME+B450M-K+-+AMD+RYZEN+MATX+DDR4+MOTHERBOARD+?productId=69841

We seem to have heard that USB3 drivers will be available in the near future for a while now...

Regards

Pete

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 03:26:00 am »
I imagine the best place to hear about USB driver development is in David's session on device drivers (Session 9). A USB 3.x HCI driver is under development and making steady progress.

onlineuser2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:52:47 am »
WiFi, WiFi, WiFi. 

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 02:41:58 pm »
Hi Pete,

I do know about the Asus Prime range of AM4 Ryzen boards, thanks.  In fact I have a couple of them up and running almost, just need the USB 3.0 and 3.1 drivers.  There are other boards (manufacturers) that have gone over to USB 3.0 only that I could be interested in (built gaming systems for friends using them), I can even get ArcaOS to boot if I use a disk with it already installed on but can't do anything - no keyboard or mouse.  I know I can use a VIA based USB 2.0 add in card but at €73 a pop, no thanks.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 04:08:05 pm »
Hi ivan

Yes, a lot of mainboards I have looked at recently have been USB3 only and most of them did not have any PS/2 sockets.

Good to hear from Alex that the USB3 driver is making progress, I guess we may hear more from Warpstock about that.

If it is any help USB2 addin controllers seem to be available reasonably cheap in the UK see https://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/buy-rent/P129642P?cidp=Froogle&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhqaxhMWm3QIVrr_tCh0ooQAFEAQYAyABEgLUMfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COag_o7Fpt0CFQu0UQodv2cEGQ

You can probably find some on ebay and amazon as well.

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 04:35:46 pm »
Hi Pete,

The price I gave was from Amazon for a StarTech 7 port PCIe card  The one you pointed to is a PCI card and non of the AM$ Ryzen boards have PCI slots only PCIe.

I have a couple of USB 2.0 PCI cards from old computers and so far haven't found a way of getting a PCI to PCIe adapter with a PCI card into a low profile case.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 06:27:55 pm »
Hi ivan

Oops, Sorry.

I'm sure I have seen cheaper PCIe USB2 controllers somewhere though ...

Aha! It was a 4 port version of the Startech card but not much cheaper https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/Card/4-Port-PCI-Express-Low-Profile-High-Speed-USB-Card~PEXUSB4DP - possibly cheaper on ebay or amazon.

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 06:47:33 pm »
Hi Pete,

We shouldn't hijack this thread but... The main problem is these USB 3.0 PCIe cards are maintaining their value, I have seen some StarTech ones second hand on ebay where the are asking more than new.  People want them for the same reason that I do - on new motherboards you can't even install win 7 unless you go to a lot of trouble and slipstream the USB 3.0/3.1 drivers into boot section of the ISO because without them there is no keyboard or mouse until the drivers get loaded and you have to have the OS up and running to install the drivers (catch 22 anyone?).

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 10:33:24 pm »
Any other questions?

For the moment I have this one for David:
1) What is the status of the USB 3.0 driver?
2) What are the benefits of using the drv32 library to create device drivers?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 11:47:45 am »
non of the AM$ Ryzen boards have PCI slots only PCIe.
Two of the Asus Prime boards have two PCI slots

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/specifications/

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-A/specifications/

According to third parties, the cheaper 350 is actually better than the 370 but I have not tested the latter.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 04:48:54 pm »
Hola, Martín,

I see in the Agenda a topic: ArcaOS preloaded computers.

I would like to know it there will be any ArcaOS preloaded laptop.

Saludos,

Eduardo Vila Echagüe
Santiago, Chile

Yes, there will be two in my presentation. Neither is new, one is five years old and lacks WiFi, and one is ten years old.

As others have pointed out, the lack of USB 3.x and WiFi drivers prevents us from using newer computers.

I'm in the USA, and I am mainly focused on USA customers. For the volume of preloaded computers, working with international shipping and customs is not worth the trouble.

Actually, it may not be worth the trouble in the USA, either. I'm only doing Lenovo computers for now, because their on-line information was better. I see going forward that they have reduced their on-line documentation, and they are now as bad as all the others.

http://www.blondeguy.com/ComputersForSale.html

As for future plans, Arca Noae will be there and give the latest information. I will answer questions about the preloaded computers after the conference.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 05:12:34 pm »
Any other questions?

For the moment I have this one for David:
1) What is the status of the USB 3.0 driver?
2) What are the benefits of using the drv32 library to create device drivers?

Regards

Uhuu just to prevent people asking questions double here in the presentation on David his DRV 32 library with example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Oct3xUpLw

Roderick