Author Topic: Air Boot problems  (Read 5512 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Air Boot problems
« on: September 07, 2018, 04:12:45 pm »
Yesterday I got a new Samsung S24E650XW monitor (16:10) to replace an old 17" unit.  Today I discovered that it does not like the AirBoot selection screen. All the monitor displays is a message that the video is out of range of 1920x1200. Air Boot still works but it is pot luck on which OS starts when I hit enter (depends on time).

I know that AirBoot interface is rather rudimentary (rather like the very old DOS games) and the monitor is set to auto screen resolution and will display lower resolutions than the optimum 1920x1200 but AirBoot has one that is too low to display.

As a test I borrowed a friends Philips 223V5L (16:9) and it is not happy with the AirBoot interface and give a rather distorted rendition, the monitor is 1920x1080 optimum but will auto range down.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Re: Air Boot problems
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 05:19:56 pm »
Both the initial AirBoot screen and the subsequent menu run at 640x480. This is no different than the OS screens that follow it, and on my system, the BIOS screens that precede it. It seems unlikely that the monitor doesn't support standard VGA.

I'd suggest reinstalling AirBoot. However, don't use "mini-LVM" (AOS's simplified LVM utility); instead, do it from the command line. The reason is that mini-LVM only replaces AB's code when reinstalling. In the few instances where I've had problems with AB, the cause was corrupted configuration data that needed to be replaced.

On AOS, you'll find the installer ('airboot2.exe') in x:\sys\bin. The program has 2 commandline switches: "/forcecode" and "/forceconfig". You may want to start with just "/forcecode" (identical to what mini-LVM would do). If that doesn't fix it, try adding "/forceconfig". The latter is more likely to fix the problem, but it will require you to reconfigure AB's menu because all of its existing partition info will be wiped out.

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 06:53:27 pm »
Does the latest AirBoot 1.04 have improvements over 1.02? 
Matt W.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:20:56 pm »
Does the latest AirBoot 1.04 have improvements over 1.02?

The latest AirBoot is 1.1.4, from Arca Noae, and yes it does have some improvements.