OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Networking

Samba 4.9.0 based client

<< < (2/9) > >>

Paul Smedley:
Hi Dariusz,

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on March 24, 2019, 02:51:44 pm ---Thanks for the always great work, but I've got to ask this question (well, a couple of them anyways):

1) How do your releases compare to the official RPM packages (because I was originally using your ZIP stuff, then moved over to RPM, which I was under the impression you were doing, or at least helping out with???) I have samba-client.i686 (4.9.4-4.oc00) currently installed.

2) In this last post you show the 4.9.5 and 4.10.0, is there a particular version we should pursue?

3) NetDrive plug-in, is this to be used ONLY with the 4.10.0 client judging by the fact that you have lumped with the 4.10.0 release?

--- End quote ---

1) For ArcaOS - Lewis will end up packaging 4.9.5 as a rpm. I mainly provided these links for non-ArcaOS users, who people who like to live on the cutting edge :P

2) 4.9.5 is a bug fix for the 4.9.x series, 4.10.0 is the next feature update for Samba. I'd consider 4.9.x more mature, but would welcome feedback on 4.10.x

3) Currently, ndpsmb.dll releases are paired with a specific samba support DLL, so it's important to use them as a matched pair.

Hope this helps,

Paul

David McKenna:
 Hi Paul!

I installed your 4.10 versions and they seem to work just fine so far in light testing. I'll post if any problems show up.... thanks again for your Olympian support of OS/2!  ;D

Regards,

Paul Smedley:
Hey David,

--- Quote from: David McKenna on March 25, 2019, 01:32:42 am --- I installed your 4.10 versions and they seem to work just fine so far in light testing. I'll post if any problems show up.... thanks again for your Olympian support of OS/2!  ;D

--- End quote ---

Thanks mate, I've been really slack updating the public facing website (https://os2ports.smedley.id.au) over the last couple of years, I really must spend a few hours updating it with stuff that has accumulated in http://smedley.id.au/tmp/* :)

Cheers,

Paul

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi Paul,

--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on March 24, 2019, 10:03:31 pm ---Hi Dariusz,

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on March 24, 2019, 02:51:44 pm ---Thanks for the always great work, but I've got to ask this question (well, a couple of them anyways):

1) How do your releases compare to the official RPM packages (because I was originally using your ZIP stuff, then moved over to RPM, which I was under the impression you were doing, or at least helping out with???) I have samba-client.i686 (4.9.4-4.oc00) currently installed.

2) In this last post you show the 4.9.5 and 4.10.0, is there a particular version we should pursue?

3) NetDrive plug-in, is this to be used ONLY with the 4.10.0 client judging by the fact that you have lumped with the 4.10.0 release?

--- End quote ---

1) For ArcaOS - Lewis will end up packaging 4.9.5 as a rpm. I mainly provided these links for non-ArcaOS users, who people who like to live on the cutting edge :P

2) 4.9.5 is a bug fix for the 4.9.x series, 4.10.0 is the next feature update for Samba. I'd consider 4.9.x more mature, but would welcome feedback on 4.10.x

3) Currently, ndpsmb.dll releases are paired with a specific samba support DLL, so it's important to use them as a matched pair.

Hope this helps,

Paul

--- End quote ---

I installed the stuff Lewis released, so far so good, no hiccups. Will do a bit more of file/folder creation testing later on and will report back.

Once I have this stable I will take a stab at the 4.10.0 stuff...

Thanks, as always!
-Dariusz

mauro:

--- Quote from: Paul Smedley on March 24, 2019, 10:03:31 pm ---Hi Dariusz,

Hope this helps,

Paul

--- End quote ---

Hi Paul, if still ontime I'd like to enquiry the following which maybe -hopefully- could unlock my situation in having NetDrive with samba plugin working .
I had opened a thread before here https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,2064.15.html#lastPost and have been brilliantly supported by Sean Casey, who brought me to a good point, but at the last step had discontinued to respond, maybe for no more suggestion available.

Have intalled Samba 4-9-5 rpm from Arca subscription repository on my OS2 Warp 4.52, installation went appearently well, so if I give the following command in an OS2 window

smbclient \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\yyyyy  (it is my Windows 10 Users resource, Windows 10 is the hosting OS of my guest OS2 Warp 4.52 on Virtualbox)

I obtain the following :

gethostname failed
gethostname failed
Enter WORKGROUP\GUEST's password:

give enter again (no password to input) and I get this :

Try "help" to get a list of possible commands.
smb: \>

then I command
smb: \> dir

and the requested resource make its directories available

.                                  DR        0  Sat Jul  7 13:06:16 2018
  ..                                 DR        0  Sat Jul  7 13:06:16 2018
  Default                           DHR        0  Wed Sep 26 20:29:58 2018
  Default.migrated                    D        0  Sun Sep  4 19:20:29 2016
  desktop.ini                       AHS      174  Sat Jun 16 17:26:53 2018
  Public                             DR        0  Wed Sep 26 20:28:39 2018
  user                                D        0  Sun Jul 31 08:38:03 2016

239907945 blocks of size 4096. 178492899 blocks available
smb: \>

this seems indicating Samba client working.

But I'm unable then to make NetDrive and its Samba plugin get working on same resource, after having mounted a resource drive letter and filled the smbfs plugin configuration fields in the table with same parametres of the OS2 Samba client command, it just gives back an error alert, this is also displayed in the other mentioned thread.

If there is no other clear reason for this issue (I mainly believe I'm doing something wrong, being not much experienced in this kind of application), can it be due to the fact that Samba 4.9.5 is not working specifically for OS2 Warp 4.52 ?  Or maybe I'm using a samba plugin version (2.1.5 GA) for NetDrive which someway conflicts with this Samba client version?
Thank you -at least for having read till now-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version