Author Topic: Samba 4.9.0 based client  (Read 39499 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Re: Samba 4.9.0 based client
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 04:52:49 am »
LOOK BELOW !!!!!

still cannot believe, please don't wake me up!

I kept trying every variation of settings in smbfs parametres, and now I've found it needed the "workgroup" specification in the Workgroup field, and nousers/nopassword in the login table.

Ahh....this is so easy to overlook...sorry I did not catch this earlier. On my network I have mapped all the static IP addresses for each machine to a hostname. The same HOSTS file has been deployed on all the networked PCs, so when I want to access my NAS box I simply point to "NAS" everywhere. This way at least I have a single source of the name to IP address mapping and if things ever change I do not have to chase around all different places to update the stuff.

In parallel to this I re-named my workgroup to "HOME".

Well, congrats...glad to hear you are up and running now!

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 10:02:01 pm »
....what about linux (Ubuntu) host? I have same cloned Vbox Warp 4.52 machine, in an Ubuntu 18.04 system fully working in an usb pendrive.
When this USB is plugged in same laptop with Win10 hard disk, Ubuntu can browse every Win 10 directory, but from Warp 4.52 virtual machine the resource call
[C:\]smbclient  \\192.168.56.1\Users

gives this answer:

gethostname failed
gethostname failed
Connection to 192.168.56.1 failed (Error NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT)

also, found the Ubuntu machine static ip address 192.168.1.84 (by ifconfig command),
 if I give
[C:\]smbclient  \\192.168.1.84\

obtain:
gethostname failed
gethostname failed

I presume not getting the correct resource call for Ubuntu (or I'm missing an important part as usual), do you have your own experience to get me on the right path here as well?
 :D
Thank you

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2019, 10:34:53 pm »
How did you setup networking for the Linux vbox host? 

If you want it to see anything on your network you have to set it as a 'bridged adapter', at least that is how I have vbox setup in a real Linux Mint machine and I can see everything on my network.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 10:51:25 pm »
How did you setup networking for the Linux vbox host? 

If you want it to see anything on your network you have to set it as a 'bridged adapter', at least that is how I have vbox setup in a real Linux Mint machine and I can see everything on my network.

Have also changed the Vbox network setting in "Bridge adapter" as you said but getting same

[C:\]smbclient \\192.168.1.84\home
gethostname failed
gethostname failed
Connection to 192.168.1.84 failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)

it is like the Linux resource is not ready for some setting reasons (permissions? name? wrong mounted/unmounted status? .....
Not even appears a password prompt like it was in Windows host, which I would expect as a Linux standard

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 01:07:23 am »
OK, first check what the network settings are for your Linux install Find under 'Preferences' -- 'Network', it should open showing the basic network connection information (connection speed, IPv4 address, IPv6 address,hardware address, default route, DNS) if you don't have an IPv4 address in the range supplied by the DHCP server of your router you have problems which need to be fixed first.

The 'gear' symbol, bottom right, opens a page that allows you to edit settings except for the 'Details' page.

Once you are satisfied the network settings are correct you can close the network window.

Now open either the 'Computer'  or 'Home' 'File Browser' window and click on 'Network' down arrow, then click on what is displayed, this should open a window showing all items it can read (it generally shows SMB/CIFS items as 'Windows Network', double clicking on that should show all your running SMB/CIFS servers (remember you will not see your win 10 box because it is not running while you are booted into your live linux USB stick).

I hope this helps bur remember I am using a full Linux Mint install on a real computer whereas you are using a live linux from a bootable USB.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 06:55:49 am »
(remember you will not see your win 10 box because it is not running while you are booted into your live linux USB stick).

I hope this helps bur remember I am using a full Linux Mint install on a real computer whereas you are using a live linux from a bootable USB.

I'm using a full Ubuntu 18.04 install, it is on an USB stick but fully installed like it was on a pc.

Not a live usb

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 04:21:44 pm »
OK, that still requires that you get the Linux networking setup correctly.

The problem will still be viewing anything on the disks of your win 10 machine. Ubuntu should be able to read the win10 drive partitions (you can do that with a live linux usb/dvd so a full install makes it easy) the problem comes from just how vbox running on linux on usb will see the SMB/CIFS server that only works when win10 is running (since Ubuntu is the operating system when running from your USB, win does not start the SMB/CIFS server therefore any samba drives will not be visible).

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2019, 05:23:03 pm »
OK, that still requires that you get the Linux networking setup correctly.

The problem will still be viewing anything on the disks of your win 10 machine. Ubuntu should be able to read the win10 drive partitions (you can do that with a live linux usb/dvd so a full install makes it easy) the problem comes from just how vbox running on linux on usb will see the SMB/CIFS server that only works when win10 is running (since Ubuntu is the operating system when running from your USB, win does not start the SMB/CIFS server therefore any samba drives will not be visible).

ok, I' have had this idea yesterday and have also installed the smb client on Ubuntu, but then responding same "Connection to 192.168.1.84 failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)"  as in OS2 when give the "smbclient \\192.168.1.84\home" command in linux terminal.  It could also be the client activation not correctly performed or running.....

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 06:29:52 pm »
First question, is 192.168.1.84 the IP address of a different separate machine running a SMB/CIFS server?

Second question, what shows up in file manager when you click on 'network'?

Third thing, if you don't have a samba server running no matter what you are doing you are not going to find anything.  For example, on my network I have 3 NAS boxes that each run a SMB/CIFS server, I am also running samba servers on 3 of my computers.  All of those are visible to any samba client on the network.

Gregg Young

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2019, 10:46:24 pm »
Hi Paul

smbspool.exe is broken in 4.9.4 and higher (tried 4.9.5 & 4.10.1). I am using the SMB printer port which works with version 4.4 and 4.7.7. These are the only versions I have tried.

I get "Error 1 during spooling to smb://USERNAME:****@CATMASTER/PIPPIN/Printer" Error 1 is NT_STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. See ticket 2528 on the AN mantis site for more details. Thanks

Gregg

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2019, 07:10:33 am »
Hi Gregg,

smbspool.exe is broken in 4.9.4 and higher (tried 4.9.5 & 4.10.1). I am using the SMB printer port which works with version 4.4 and 4.7.7. These are the only versions I have tried.

I get "Error 1 during spooling to smb://USERNAME:****@CATMASTER/PIPPIN/Printer" Error 1 is NT_STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. See ticket 2528 on the AN mantis site for more details. Thanks

See updates in ticket 2528 at the AN site, but smbspool is working fine here - this is some kind of authentication issue with your Samba 3.x server - most likely due to increased security in newer Samba releases.

Cheers,

Paul

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2019, 12:40:24 pm »
First question, is 192.168.1.84 the IP address of a different separate machine running a SMB/CIFS server?

Second question, what shows up in file manager when you click on 'network'?

Third thing, if you don't have a samba server running no matter what you are doing you are not going to find anything.  For example, on my network I have 3 NAS boxes that each run a SMB/CIFS server, I am also running samba servers on 3 of my computers.  All of those are visible to any samba client on the network.

ok, finally I made it work for Ubuntu host as well !!!

Almost everything was correct, the missing part was that Samba client in Linux must also be configured after installing, in order to set a specific folder for the samba resource and for which user, otherwise it won't be available.

This tutorial was my lighthouse:
https://www.computerbeginnersguides.com/blog/2018/04/27/install-and-configure-samba-in-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver/0

and you the navigator  :D
thanks

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2019, 03:52:41 pm »
Sorry I missed out mentioning that.  I've had everything working here for the last 30 years that I didn't even think about it.