OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Multimedia

[SBAWED2] Getting an old audio card working.

(1/3) > >>

L.S.S.:
I've been able to get ArcaOS installed and configured, but now I'm having issues with audio.

The system has two sound cards, a Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold (ISA PnP) and a X-Fi Fatal1ty (EMU20K1, so far it's unsupported as of UniAud, although it's supported by ALSA via snd-ctxfi). The latter is mostly meant for modern OSes such as Windows. (I'm not sure if X-Fi support could be ported from ALSA in the future)

Since the X-Fi isn't supported for now, I intended to get AWE64 Gold working, but after installing ArcaOS I'm getting error saying "Error detected while resetting Sound Blaster AWE32." (although it's printing the correct I/O, IRQ, DMA configurations). The card itself is working as I can always use CTCM under FreeDOS to initialize it for use with DOS stuffs.

I don't know if there are any other tricks involved in initializing AWE64 series as from what I found, AWE64 support wasn't perfect. I tried excluding the serial port driver (VCOM) and adding /G parameter, and even manually specified values as mentioned in those topics, none worked.

Dave Yeo:
Don't know much about AWE64 but have you tried running CTCM under mdos (OS/2 DOS)?

L.S.S.:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on September 21, 2018, 05:08:40 am ---Don't know much about AWE64 but have you tried running CTCM under mdos (OS/2 DOS)?

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure the details... is it to load CTCM inside OS/2's CONFIG.SYS or through a command line prompt? (In real DOS, the CTCM can be either loaded from command line or CONFIG.SYS)

The audio card does work under DOS, but it seems I need a mixer to set a correct volume otherwise it's too quiet to be heard (off-topic).

Olafur Gunnlaugsson:

--- Quote from: L.S.S. on September 21, 2018, 03:38:51 am ---I don't know if there are any other tricks involved in initializing AWE64 series as from what I found, AWE64 support wasn't perfect. I tried excluding the serial port driver (VCOM) and adding /G parameter, and even manually specified values as mentioned in those topics, none worked.

--- End quote ---

The Creative AWE drivers work fine under OS/2, there were a couple of features missing vis a vis the Windows version but they were rock solid as long as the card had been properly configured and the motherboard BIOS was not trying to share too many interrupts.

What has changed sine then is that Arca Noae has removed ISA support from their system so you have no hope in hell of getting it working

Andi B.:

--- Quote ---What has changed sine then is that Arca Noae has removed ISA support from their system...
--- End quote ---
What do you mean by that? What specifically was removed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version