Author Topic: Stability Zip3 & Unzip6  (Read 17723 times)

Bogdan

• View Profile
Re: Stability Zip3 & Unzip6
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 04:22:21 pm »
There was only one release of UnZip and Zip form Info-ZIP that can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/os2/

There were at least 2 different compiles and versions, IIRC Australian and German, and each package was not stable.
Those private builds lack in UNZIP.DLL and use broken environments or C libraries. Better stay with the supported original software.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 06:09:05 am »
And I'm restricted to ~10 GiB, because of the maximum disk sizes of USB 1.1 hardware.

Hmmm. Where did you get that idea? I can use a 64 GB USB 3.0 stick on my antique IBM ThinkPad A22e, which only has a USB 1.1 adapter. It is very slow, but it works okay.

I don't know if the 32 of UNZIP32.DLL refers to the size it can handle (< 2 GiB).

AFAIK, that differentiates it from the 16 bit versions. It has nothing to do with file size capability.

Repositioning most of the objects takes most of the time over here,

I always assume that the package author knows what (s)he is doing, so they get to say where things go. Of course, if you are using antique hardware, you may need to use antique methods. Your choice. Too much extra work, for me. I just don't have the time to mess around with it.

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 02:58:35 pm »
There was only one release of UnZip and Zip form Info-ZIP that can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/os2/

There were at least 2 different compiles and versions, IIRC Australian and German, and each package was not stable.
Those private builds lack in UNZIP.DLL and use broken environments or C libraries. Better stay with the supported original software.
I wonder in what sense those are broken. Did you ever create a bug report about that? If not I recommend you doing so.
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

xynixme

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 12:27:27 am »
I always assume that the package author knows what (s)he is doing, so they get to say where things go.

Authors of packages have no clue at all where I want to position all of my resized folders, icons, and so on, and quite a few installers still can be "ïmproved" (setting WPTools' PROGTYPE=PM for PM apps like VIEW.EXE, the OS2ENVIRONMENT of Microsoft OS/2 1.0, typos, not using LIBPATHSTRICT, copied and pasted errors, file copy errors, and so on). Without assumptions.

It shouldn't be that hard to understand that this takes up most of the time, if you cannot just restore the previous desktop and you don't want the drop target to be covered by the folder of the dragged object. Creation of objects: milliseconds-seconds. Customizing: seconds-minutes.

if you are using antique hardware, you may need to use antique methods. Your choice.

There really is no need to make up what I may choose, if I ...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 01:15:17 am by André Heldoorn »