Author Topic: Looking for suggestions a new laptop for Arca OS  (Read 4697 times)

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
Looking for suggestions a new laptop for Arca OS
« on: April 15, 2020, 07:22:35 pm »
Hey all, as the title says, I'm looking for a new addition to my stable for my next dailyable Arca OS laptop. I've seen quite a few examples and have a fairly solid idea on what I'm after (T450, Yoga 12, X250), but I was hoping to get the opinion of the more experienced folks here. Especially after seeing the 25th anniversary OS/2 Warp by Sigurd Fastenrath, I've come to the realization that virtually most concerns (and issues) I've had with hardware friendliness in the past are likely far less relevant than they might have been previously.

Before I ramble on too much I'll outline my question: does anyone have any recommendations from experience on a relatively modern laptop (2015+) that could fit the bill as a low/no-fuss, on-the-go, reliable and stable device?

Thanks in advance  :)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Looking for suggestions a new laptop for Arca OS
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 09:27:32 pm »
Hi Ibrahim

I have tried to document some +2010 laptops that the community had reported on this wiki page.

This is always a hard question to anwer, since there is no modern laptop that is "no-fuxx free". The wireless is a issue this days and USB 3.x is not yet finished, those are in part where you are going to find the problems.

The ones with a +2015 laptops with ArcaOS are free to post their model and experience. (please)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 03:41:54 am »
Hi Ibrahim

I have tried to document some +2010 laptops that the community had reported on this wiki page.

This is always a hard question to anwer, since there is no modern laptop that is "no-fuxx free". The wireless is a issue this days and USB 3.x is not yet finished, those are in part where you are going to find the problems.

The ones with a +2015 laptops with ArcaOS are free to post their model and experience. (please)

Regards

Thank you for your response, I should have clarified that I'm aware wireless (for the most part), usb 3.0 and other things are still not going to work. By no-fuss I meant a system that's known to not have overall issues with performance, stability or excess heat. Something that could be taken on the go without thinking twice.

I honestly should have checked the wiki before I posted here, some of those laptops make some decent contenders for what I'm trying to do, I'm starting to lean towards so the S1 Yoga 12 quite heavily even though it's a pre-2015 device - but I'll continue to do what research I can :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:44:25 am by Ibrahim Hakeem »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 04:54:45 pm »
I list extensive information on these laptops. If you want to configure your own, use my webpages as a guide.

http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/LaptopsForSale.html

My current favorite is the T450s with 1920 x 1080 screen.

You already know that WiFi should be through a Travel Router and the USB 3.0 won't work. I am a beta tester for Arca Noae, so all I can say is that USB 3.0 support looks promising for the future.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Ibrahim Hakeem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 07:43:03 am »
I list extensive information on these laptops. If you want to configure your own, use my webpages as a guide.

http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/LaptopsForSale.html

My current favorite is the T450s with 1920 x 1080 screen.

You already know that WiFi should be through a Travel Router and the USB 3.0 won't work. I am a beta tester for Arca Noae, so all I can say is that USB 3.0 support looks promising for the future.

I'm going to have to agree with you there, the T450s is a definitely a good match for what I'm after!