Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.00 on an Lenovo IdeaPad?  (Read 9034 times)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
ArcaOS 5.00 on an Lenovo IdeaPad?
« on: October 12, 2018, 03:20:58 am »
I have a Lenovo IdeaPad that I am trying to install ArcaOS 5.0 on. It gets to 'internal revision 14.200_SMP' and stops. It goes no farther. It was on sale at Best Buy store (said it did not have a power adapter but it was in the box).

Lenovo IdeaPad 120S_14IAP
BIOS 6GCN20WW
MIM 81A5001UUS
Lenovo SN F82819E1-E701-0818-062808000000
CPU Intel Celeron CPU N3350 @ 1.10GHZ
SYSTEM MEMORY 2048 MB
eMMC CARD SANDISK iNAND 32GB
PREINSTALLED OS LICENSE SDKOJ91216 WIN
OA3 KEY ID 3259110085699
OA2 N

BOOT MODE LEGACY  - OPTION UEFI
BOOK PRIORITY - LEGACY OPITON UEFI

SATA SSD
eMMC CARD SANDISH iNAND 32GB

This is the information I copied from the bios. I will check the box to see if there is any more information there.

I had tried it on another computer. It installed but with limitations. This IdeaPad is bigger and newer.

I tried to change the settings on the installation of the ArcaOS but the keys did not seem to function - the tab did for a short time but it froze up.

Any help would be appreciated.
 8)
BigGoofyGuy

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: ArcaOS 5.00 on an Lenovo IdeaPad?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 03:34:54 am »
Hi

Just in case here are the specs of that model: http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Lenovo_Laptops/ideapad_120S_14

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 05:11:00 am »
Thank you for the link. When I bought it, the box had the laptop and the power chord. It had nothing else. I will try to get the updated versions of the ArcaOS; 5.03? I believe there is one that can install from an USB drive? Perhaps it would work better than using an optical disc in an USB optical drive?

I will try again.

It does not have an internal optical drive. I connected it to an USB optical drive.
BigGoofyGuy

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 05:41:24 am »
According to the specifications, it is USB 3, to quote
Two USB 3.0,
one USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1
You're not going to install or use any form of OS/2 until the USB 3 driver is done.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 10:45:26 am »
Since it is a USB 3 only unit your only chance of getting ArcaOS on to it is to remove the hard disk, put it into another machine and install ArcaOS on it there (can be an image file with DFSee) return it to the IdeaPad and hope it will work - might need tweaking.

I have used this method to get ArcaOS running on my Ryzen powered motherboards that only have USB 3 in all its variants.  In my case I use an image of the boot partition (made with DFSee) of an AMD 3850 APU based machine put on the hard disk when it as connected to a working machine via a USB/SATA caddy. Any additions/updates are made over the network

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 04:09:54 pm »
What about mouse and keyboard?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 05:00:11 pm »
Why do you think I keep on complaining about a lack of USB 3 drivers?

On the other hand there are some boards that have PS/2 sockets for both mouse and keyboard and if they have a combi PS/2 socket that allows use of a keyboard it is still possible to move around the screen - slowly.

From what I have seen even new Intel processor based boards are now using USB 3 for keyboard and mouse which limits ArcaOS - OS/2 to ancient boards and hardware. 

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 09:36:58 pm »
I'm sorry but an Ideapad Celeron is not such a good choice anyway. It's a slow (because of a Celeron CPU) and poorly made machine compared to ThinkPad and you can probably get a used ThinkPad that is more robust and even faster for less money that you paid for your Ideapad. And like it's said: USB3 seems to be the biggest problem that completely prevends ArcaOS from running on this Ideapad at the moment.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 10:35:28 pm »
Being an "IdeaPad" is not the problem. All computers that only have USB 3, have the same problem. There are actually worse problems showing up (only part of the memory being usable, for instance). USB 3 is likely to be the first problem that is solved.

We are back to the same old problem, that has plagued OS/2, forever. The buyer needs to be aware of what they are buying, and be sure that it is supported by OS/2. If it isn't, you must be prepared to work around whatever isn't supported, or choose a different machine. Desktops are much easier to work with, than portable machines.

There is really nothing wrong with Celeron processors. They are a "reduced instruction set" processor, so it takes them longer to process certain instructions. Personally, I wouldn't buy one, but they will work okay. The processor itself, should be priced at about half of what a similar full function processor is priced at, but the processor is only part of the machine cost.

FWIW, rather than trying to buy the cheapest new machine, look for used machines, or machines that are on clearance sale. I have often got perfectly capable machines, that will no longer run windows (until they are cleaned up, and de-virused), for the trouble of taking them away from an owner who doesn't want to deal with it. They are good for parts too.

Performance is not too much of a concern, with OS/2. I have an old DELL Dimension 4300, with 512 MB of memory, and a couple of old IDE disk drives. ArcaOS runs pretty well, in that machine, while winXP has trouble booting (VERY slow). The main thing, that would improve it, is memory. If it had 1 GB of memory, I am pretty sure that it would be okay for winXP too, but it isn't cost effective to spend money on it.

Tuure Linden

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 06:44:53 am »
Performance is not a problem when running OS/2 on a modern Celeron machine - that's true. I've been servicing and installing cheap Ideapads for clients (because some people just want to buy a new cheap machine instead of a second-hand better one) and in Windows use the Celeron models are terribly slow and it's frustrating because even simple software installations take a lot of time - that's why I've become accustomed not to recommend Celeron based machines. AMD E1 and similar have also very bad performance, sometimes even worst than Celerons do. Better performance doesn't hinder OS/2 usage HOWEVER - when we don't have accelerated graphics and Firefox has become the bloatware it is, all the performance available is usefol when surfing the web.

There's also a great difference in build quality between Ideapad and Thinkpad. Materials used on Ideapads are much cheaper, keyboard feels worse etc. That comes with the price: in Finland cheapest new Ideapads are priced between 200-300 Euros when you'll have to pay over 1000 for a Thinkpad. Usually it's not the best idea to buy the cheapest hardware if you're looking for compatibility, quality and long livity.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 06:47:13 am by Tuure Linden »