Author Topic: cups installed, how to start it?  (Read 14927 times)

mauro

• View Profile
Re: cups installed, how to start it?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 09:24:26 am »
Trying to send an LPD job to port 9100 is not likely to work.  That's the port for raw (a.k.a. JetDirect) IP printing which the \PIPE\LPDx driver is not likely to support.  Don't specify a port at all, the driver will automatically send to the correct port for the LPR protocol.

Better still, use an SLPR port rather than a \PIPE\LPDx port.

ok. Does it mean (sorry to continuously asking for my understanding translation) that I have to restart the IP Spool configuration without indicating the 4 digits number port, and at that point the printer object/driver will find itself the way to the printer ?  And/or, what am I supposed to do to have an SLPR port?

sorry again,  would like to take the chance for asking you the following : I succeeded to configure the printer on Cups through Firefox and its downloaded PPD file, and also obtained the test page printed (wow!) but the printer exists now only in the Cups config pages in Firefox, no printer object created elswere which should be in an application, not even in the Firefox printing menu itself. I saw that in your Printer Manager on Install Printer item there is a call for Cups printer installation, but beginning by there, then the window closes and i go nowhere. Do you also have an indication for this?
Thank you much
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:42:18 am by mauro »

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 09:53:16 am »
Sorry Mauro,
But if what you're trying to do is print from Firefox, you can not. Firefox and thunderbird, if you want to print with them, you have to create a pdf in print to file, option. And then print the pdf.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 11:41:37 am »
Hi Mauro,

As roberto says printing direct from firefox for OS/2 is almost impossible.  Because of that I have installed an Apple Color Laserwriter to use when printing to file as a PDF.

Regarding printer ports.  As I said before I am using PSCRIPT.DRV with the PPDs for both my Brother printers added.  To add the SLPR port use the
'Install New Port' button on the 'Output Port' page. Then open the SLPR port propertied and fill in as necessary (mine shows what I have for the postscript printer with PCL I'm not sure).

Since your printer has postscript embedded I would recommend that you use it that way even if it does require you to clean up the PPD and add it to the driver (see the readme included with Alex Taylor's PSPRINT driver for how to do it).

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 02:18:24 pm »
Hi Mauro,

As roberto says printing direct from firefox for OS/2 is almost impossible.  Because of that I have installed an Apple Color Laserwriter to use when printing to file as a PDF.

Regarding printer ports.  As I said before I am using PSCRIPT.DRV with the PPDs for both my Brother printers added.  To add the SLPR port use the
'Install New Port' button on the 'Output Port' page. Then open the SLPR port propertied and fill in as necessary (mine shows what I have for the postscript printer with PCL I'm not sure).

Since your printer has postscript embedded I would recommend that you use it that way even if it does require you to clean up the PPD and add it to the driver (see the readme included with Alex Taylor's PSPRINT driver for how to do it).

Thanks both Roberto and Ivan, good advice for me that I was testing printer output with the wrong application, I think that it will be better doing on the OS2 advanced editor, which has a printing menu.
Then I tried to apply Ivan suggestions, but below you see what is the result, and here I stop again :

https://ibb.co/hp02yA

do you think it would be better restarting from an empty printer manager (no printers - no drivers) ? Or should I be more radical, restarting from the saved system image just before all printing software installation consisting in PManager, IP Spool, Cups ?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 07:46:01 pm »
What you are seeing could well be because you don't have the SLPR port.  I have had a look through my zips archive and found it, just unzip it the the partition yoy have the os2 directory in.

It shouldn't be necessary for you to dump what you have (I have several printers installed which only get used when friends bring something over to be repaired)  Once you have the SLPR.pdr and hlp installed in os2\dll it should appear in 'Install new port' page, highlight it and click on add. That should give you the new port for your printer, clocking on propertied will allow you to fill in the necessary information.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2018, 02:27:46 pm »
What you are seeing could well be because you don't have the SLPR port.  I have had a look through my zips archive and found it, just unzip it the the partition yoy have the os2 directory in.

It shouldn't be necessary for you to dump what you have (I have several printers installed which only get used when friends bring something over to be repaired)  Once you have the SLPR.pdr and hlp installed in os2\dll it should appear in 'Install new port' page, highlight it and click on add. That should give you the new port for your printer, clocking on propertied will allow you to fill in the necessary information.

DONE, I just printed a pdf file page!  Well, I had posted for 10 minutes an answer to you (now cancelled) which shown an error message on the driver configuration, but soon realized that I was selecting a wrong menu in the PM,
Very well, and I do not need any Cups.
Thanks much