Author Topic: ecomstation after crash: Directory Found is there  (Read 5604 times)

-Micky

ecomstation after crash: Directory Found is there
« on: October 15, 2018, 05:08:47 pm »
One question: After a crash and chkdsk there is a directory named Found. Some files are in it. Are those files restored from system or lost?

Micky

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: ecomstation after crash: Directory Found is there
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:56:50 pm »
If you have the JFS file system and you had a crash and you have a found directory the content is in most cases useless and you do not get complete files. If its on HPFS you can recover the files in some cases.

Note for any JFS users. Get an AN device driver subscription or use ArcaOS. The reason I mention this is that the JFS version in eCS (I do not know about MCP) has a flaw in the chkdsk rountine that can seriously corrupt your disc.
Yes disc corruption can always occur when a crash occurs but this is  a known bug. Something gets screwed up in the log redo. David Azarewicz from AN mentioned this already in severeal presentations at Warpstocks.

Roderick

-Micky

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 11:37:31 pm »
It is a HPFS System, but there are a lot of files in directory: Found. The system is now unstable and freezes. I think it is easier to make a new install. Does't matter, because it is a test system.

Did not know that JFS from Arca Noae is not good. Did not use it.

Micky

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:20:53 am »
It is a HPFS System, but there are a lot of files in directory: Found. The system is now unstable and freezes. I think it is easier to make a new install. Does't matter, because it is a test system.

Yes, if a test system, easier to reinstall. You can often save the files in \found but the Extended Attributes are usually lost, not a big deal for most files but not good for your desktop, where most everything is in EAs and long file names get shortened to 15 characters.

No, it's the older JFS that has problems and is fixed in Arca Noae.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 08:12:41 am »

Micky

The system being unstable could also be caused by defective hardware. Hold old is the system you are using ?
Bad cooling paste between the heatsink and CPU, faulty capacitors on the mainboard or in the power supply. A wobbly old hard drive. But this all depends on the age of your system.

Roderick