Author Topic: 2-3 oddities I'd like to fix  (Read 8617 times)

mauro

• View Profile
2-3 oddities I'd like to fix
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:11:14 pm »
Good afternoon all, after the successful installation of Firefox 45.9.0 performed thanks to your precious suggestions (I'm writing this post from there  8) ) I'd like to ask te following:

my OS2 Warp4.52 installation is in a Virtualbox 5.2 emulation.

Actually I cannot hook and drag the icons with the mouse, they are unmovable; why?

At desktop startup, this command window appears and keeps it busy for around 15 seconds before autoclosing, how can I disable it ?
https://ibb.co/kAShAf

Can you suggest a topic here or a good link for OS2 Warp post installation tips/trick in Virtualbox? (ie. guest addition handling and some optimizations you can't miss).

Thank you much
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:50:27 pm by Martin Iturbide »

roberto

• View Profile
Re: 2-3 oddities I'd like to fix
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:38:19 pm »
At desktop startup, this command window appears and keeps it busy for around 15 seconds before autoclosing, how can I disable it ?
https://ibb.co/kAShAf

Uninstall the netbios on tcpip, or the netbios.

Gregg Young

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:36:59 pm »

Open the network folder then open Sharing and Connections. If it ask you to logon the USERID is USERID and the PASSWORD is PASSWORD. After logging on you may need to double click the icon again. On the front page at the bottom is a checkbox that says reconnect at startup (or something close to that) uncheck it. That should stop peer from loading the requester on startup.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 12:46:50 am »
Actually I cannot hook and drag the icons with the mouse, they are unmovable; why?

Are you using the right mouse button to drag? OS/2 by default uses the right mouse button for  dragging and dropping. It can be changed, though I forget where right now.

Can you suggest a topic here or a good link for OS2 Warp post installation tips/trick in Virtualbox? (ie. guest addition handling and some optimizations you can't miss).

Thank you much

Make sure to read the readme in the additions under OS/2 on how to install them and don't install the libc files as they're out of date.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:46:02 am »

Are you using the right mouse button to drag? OS/2 by default uses the right mouse button for  dragging and dropping. It can be changed, though I forget where right now.

Yes, it was by holding rhe right click, cannot believe I did not give a try to it meantime.
Thank you

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 07:47:40 am »
thank you for the net message window suggestions, I'll apply them later on.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 08:23:58 pm »

Open the network folder then open Sharing and Connections. If it ask you to logon the USERID is USERID and the PASSWORD is PASSWORD. After logging on you may need to double click the icon again. On the front page at the bottom is a checkbox that says reconnect at startup (or something close to that) uncheck it. That should stop peer from loading the requester on startup.

found  "Start LAN service at system startup" but is already unchecked

Gregg Young

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 09:58:09 pm »
Then there is probably something either in startup.cmd or a startup folder. Startup.cmd is in the root of your boot drive if you have one. Look for a line that starts with "net start" and remove it if present. If you don't find that look in your startup folder.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 10:16:39 pm »
Could it be INETWAIT in x:\mptn\bin mptstart.cmd?
Mine has INETWAIT 1>NUL

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 06:42:57 pm »
Then there is probably something either in startup.cmd or a startup folder. Startup.cmd is in the root of your boot drive if you have one. Look for a line that starts with "net start" and remove it if present. If you don't find that look in your startup folder.

ok, I've solved this with your suggestion: startup.cmd contained the following instruction:
NET START REQ
@if errorlevel 2 C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\lserr.exe
EXIT

I first have made a backup copy as startup.old, then commented (rem) the first line in the startup.cmd, and on reboot it worked already.
After that, presuming that the second line was also linked to the one above, and only those two lines were present in the script, have deleted startup.cmd just leaving his backup.
Thank you
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 06:45:02 pm by mauro »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 10:05:49 am »

Thank you much

Make sure to read the readme in the additions under OS/2 on how to install them and don't install the libc files as they're out of date.

made it, but next system boot then stopped with a trap error message (esadecimal strings which tell nothing), had to recall the virtual machine state copy just created before this change.
The only difference between what written in the readme.txt and what I did was that I could not afford to manage the F2 selection in the selective start boot menu because I ignore the command lines to proceed, so I did all in the standard system GUI.
Thank you