Author Topic: Firefox and youtube  (Read 48475 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
Re: Firefox and youtube
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2019, 09:39:04 am »
some new questers
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:39:25 am by David Graser »

xynixme

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2019, 02:42:35 pm »
Graser's Quester seems better than Quest, because this sounds like a tool you can use for a quest. If it's a goal of an app to look for trouble, then "Trouble" isn't the best name for the app itself. In that case I may suggest "Shooter" instead.

FWIW: again, if Quest(er) sounds like a brand and confusion is theoretically possible, then perhaps avoid problems by using a unique family prefix like Mozilla (Mozilla Firefox) for the official name. Like "Canadian Red Panda", a lynx (unintended browser joke), or "Qanadian Quester" (AKA Quester or QUESTER.EXE to us).

I won't look at the provided source code, for one because I cannot test compile changed files without GCC.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2019, 04:45:57 am »

I won't look at the provided source code, for one because I cannot test compile changed files without GCC.

No GCC code in the provided source. It's mostly the graphics, icons, pngs, bmps, svgs etc to create the theme along with some other stuff like the name of the browser and some preferences such as home page and the makefiles, which I can adjust.

xynixme

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2019, 02:47:50 pm »
Okay, I really didn't take a look.

It'll be David's area of expertise then, after having selected winning names and matching base artworks.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2019, 07:22:00 pm »
Okay, I really didn't take a look.

It'll be David's area of expertise then, after having selected winning names and matching base artworks.

I like Quester.  It is a short name.

Another name I like is LookingGlass.

Made a 8 bit OS/2 icon based on the PNG below

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:56:10 pm by David Graser »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2019, 03:08:58 am »
Think I like those the best.

xynixme

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2019, 11:55:17 am »
Willing to vote for Quester too, to rename the Mozilla Firefox browser. Internationally Quest is clear enough (Police Quest game, ...), and -er is a common suffix (play, player, game, gamer, ...). Even in cases the word Quest or Quester doesn't exist in another language. The urbandictionary.org output seems to be safe too.

Quester, possibly also stylized as QUESTER, is an existing (commercial) name in several of the countries of eCS x.y languages. As suggested earlier, perhaps insert a "Qanadian Quester (Quester)" in a main README.1ST to point out to the owner of quester.com that the domain name qanadianquester.com isn't/wasn't theirs and that the formal Qanadian Quester is a unique name. Or Canadian, if SM's new name won't start with a Q.

The wizard of the latest images does look better than the Dutch Flipje's (Lil' Phil's) grandpa. Hopefully the 40x40 version of a winning icon still looks good too.

AFAICT a looking glass may not be what international users expect what it is (a loupe or magnifying glass, if the icon looks like a loupe/Lupe/loep), and presumably you'd use a looking glass to look at yourself. YMMV.

xynixme

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2019, 03:53:54 pm »
Qommunia for SM, if someone really wants a Q theme for the whole family. There's the visual link with "communicate". And a lesser visual link with "commune": a group of, in this case products, working together. Or Qommunier/Qommuniquer (to qommunicate in French) for a Q and a -er suffix.

Disclaimer: certainly the -er words may require a French review (e.g. Qom-mu-nier would be better than the internationally more difficult pronounciation Qom-mu-ni-er). And, granted, Qommunia sounds like some left-wing country.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 03:58:18 pm by André Heldoorn »