Author Topic: OS2 Warp Version 3 wont boot from Hard Drive  (Read 8497 times)

CNCMAn

OS2 Warp Version 3 wont boot from Hard Drive
« on: October 18, 2018, 06:27:18 pm »
Hello,  I just did a fresh install of Warp 3 on one of our CNC Machines.  I slaved a CD drive, piggy backed with the Hard Drive(master).  Everything went fine and installed until I unplugged the slaved drive and rebooted.   Machine will not reboot unless the CD drive and Disk are plugged in.    With out them plugged in, there's "No bootable drive available"   How do I get the boot info, which i assumed would've been included with the install onto the Hard Drive. 

Thanks

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: OS2 Warp Version 3 wont boot from Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 09:31:31 pm »
This sounds like a complaint from the computer BIOS, not OS/2. I think you need to put the jumpers in the hard drive back the way they were before you started. Often the hard drive can be Master, Slave or Single. You may need single.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 11:04:51 pm »
Hi BillB

I would like to hear more about the CNC machine you are using with OS/2, like model , what kind of interfaces (special cards) does it has, pictures, and what drivers and software does it uses for CNC. Even if you can share the config.sys would be interesting to me. I don't know why but I would love to have more documentation on OS/2 on industrial environments.

About your issue, I understand that you installed OS/2 Warp 3 and you reached the end of the installation on your HDD, but once you unplugged the IDE CD-ROM, it would not boot anymore, right?

1) Maybe there is something wrong with the master/slave jumpers on the HDD.
It may be interesting to check the jumpers on the HDD and also to see if the BIOS recognize the drive without issues.

Please let me know more information about the machine and software, I really want to know more about it.

Regards

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:40:13 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:06:54 pm »
Without knowing how the hardware in the computer for the CNC is setup it is difficult to advise you but here goes.

Was the jumper of the hard disk set to master and and attached to the master socket of the cable before you attached the CD drive?

When you attached the CD drive to the drive cable to the hard disk did you set the jumper on that unit to slave and did you use the secondary plug on the cable?

What does the bios show about the hard disk in both the non working and working situation?

Those questions are to find out if you changed anything that caused the computer to see the CD drive as master, that id the boot drive.
Since most machine tools including CNC machines use custom connecting cables internally we always carried longer than normal non-standard cables especially the IDE cable, this enabled us to add a CD drive for updates when necessary (the standard IDE cable generally does not have enough space between the Master, end, plug and the Slave, middle, plug.

I think you may have somehow ended up with the CD as master and the hard drive as slave, hence the need for the CD drive to be attached and loaded with a CD.

Make sure the hard disk is the master (both with jumper and position on the cable) and reinstall.  The computers in a lot of the older machines used IDE cable master slave sensing and I have seen some with short IDE cables that did not have a slave plug, those were interesting to update.

CNCMAn

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:08:56 pm »
This sounds like a complaint from the computer BIOS, not OS/2. I think you need to put the jumpers in the hard drive back the way they were before you started. Often the hard drive can be Master, Slave or Single. You may need single.

HDD was connected to the end of the cable with the jumper set to master.  CDROM was connected to the  middle plug on the IDE cable and is set to slave.

CNCMAn

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 01:33:34 pm »
Hi BillB

I would like to hear more about the CNC machine you are using with OS/2, like model , what kind of interfaces (special cards) does it has, pictures, and what drivers and software does it uses for CNC. Even if you can share the config.sys would be interesting to me. I don't know why but I would love to have more documentation on OS/2 on industrial environments.

About your issue, I understand that you installed OS/2 Warp 3 and you reached the end of the installation on your HDD, but once you unplugged the IDE CD-ROM, it would not boot anymore, right?

1) Maybe there is something wrong with the master/slave jumpers on the HDD.
It may be interesting to check the jumpers on the HDD and also to see if the BIOS recognize the drive without issues.

Please let me know more information about the machine and software, I really want to know more about it.

Regards

HDD was connected to the end of the cable with the jumper set to master.  CDROM was connected to the  middle plug on the IDE cable and is set to slave.  I will get some pictures and some info about the setup today.

CNCMAn

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 01:36:51 pm »

HDD was connected to the end of the cable with the jumper set to master.  CDROM was connected to the  middle plug on the IDE cable and is set to slave.

It is an extremely tight fit getting the Cd rom connected to the Secondary plug on the Cable. HDD was connected to the end of the cable with the jumper set to master.  CDROM was connected to the  middle plug on the IDE cable and is set to slave.  Should i set both drives to Cable Select, then reinstall?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 04:11:09 pm »
I should have asked if the IDE cable is a 40 or 80 wire type.

The main thing is to bring up the bios screen and check what it shows for the hard disk and CD and what the boot order is.

Regarding the tight fit for rhe CD, that is why I always insisted that my techs used the custom cables we had to do the job and then restore the old cable when finished.

CNCMAn

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 04:23:27 pm »
I should have asked if the IDE cable is a 40 or 80 wire type.

The main thing is to bring up the bios screen and check what it shows for the hard disk and CD and what the boot order is.

Regarding the tight fit for rhe CD, that is why I always insisted that my techs used the custom cables we had to do the job and then restore the old cable when finished.

It's a 40 wire.  As far as boot order in the Bios,  1. Is Floppy, then 2. is Hard Drive.  It doesn't give me the option to use CDROM as an option.  Would switching to a cable without the secondary plug make a difference?

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:57:36 pm »
I don't think changing out the cable would help although I have seen units with single plugs used mainly because of restricted space.

Another possibility. If there is a second IDE socket on the motherboard you could attach the CD drive to that and reinstall.

Just a thought.  With the struggle attaching the CD drive is it possible that the IDE cable got damaged?  You could check that by using a replacement cable. 

Sorry I'm not thinking as clearly as I should be - I retired a year ago and didn't do hands on setup work for about 5 years before that, paperwork kept me at a desk.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 06:32:36 pm »
IIRC correctly newer IDE / ATA modes need 80pin cables to work reliable. But if you attach a device which is not capable of the higher data rate modes (UDMA 5/6?) then the whole IDE port is switched to the lower speed. So this MAYBE an explanation of what you're seeing. But this is all so long ago and my memory slowly vanish.

Anyway you should clearly see in the BIOS if the disk is detected and in which mode it is operated. Most BIOSes can switch to lower modes too. AFAIR selecting a lower mode (none of the UDMA ones) with 40 pin cables should be possible too.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 10:19:30 pm »
This could be two things.  Just re-reading your original post it sounds like it'll boot with a CD drive installed, but once you disconnect the CD drive it won't boot.

First double check the jumpers on your hard disk.  There will either be a jumper setting for "single" *or* if there is no setting for "single" try pulling the jumper out entirely.  Some of those old drives would default to single if no jumper was installed.  Some BIOSes -  especially older ones, if they see a "master" drive on the IDE bus they'll then look for a "Slave" on that bus too.  If they don't find it they'd come to a grinding halt.

The second thing it could be, if it is starting to initially boot but then stopping, the original release of Warp 3 had a very buggy IDE driver (ibm1s506 and others).  Back in the day I had a 386 which would boot Warp 3 when the CD drive was *not* plugged in but as soon as it was plugged in it would crash.  IBM released a fix for the buggy drivers on the install disks at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/english-us/warpinst/

If it is a driver issue that might fix it.