Author Topic: Problematic OS/2 installation on IBM x3200  (Read 11148 times)

Effediesse

Re: Problematic OS/2 installation on IBM x3200
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 08:21:02 pm »
Somewhere in my archives I think I still have the disk images that worked from that time - let me know if you think they would help.

It would be great to have the chance to try those images!

Effediesse

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 08:24:03 pm »
Once I added a SATA hard drive, I was able to install on x3100 from eCS disks with no changes.

Interesting, there's hope!

I guess that my problem is still related to the hardware, maybe I will try to use a IDE drive instead of SATA.

Am I supposed to partition the drive before installing OS/2 or is it possible to do it with fdisk during the installation? I know it looks like a silly question but I have never installed OS/2 before but I always heve goosebumps when I see the warped OS/2 logo....  :-*
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:27:00 pm by Francesco »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2020, 11:20:46 pm »
To use an SATA disk you need the OS2AHCI.ADD driver and it must be mentioned in config.sys as a BASEDEV.

Depending on the size of the drive it would be a good idea to setup the partitions first.  If you have another working computer and an external SATA/USB adapter you can DFSee to do the job (just read the instructions carefully first).  Fdisk that comes with OS/2 will also do the job, always assuming you have the correct drivers installed.

BTW, I seem to have missed which version of OS/2 you are trying to install.  I ask that because I have iso images of Warp 4 and Warp 4 CP that allow booting and installing from the CD and can make them available if you are interested (built with bootAble)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2020, 11:58:37 pm »
FYI: There is an old (2011) free compiled driver of  OS2AHCI.ADD here.
Honestly, I had never tried to update an installation diskette or boot CD image with it.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 01:28:51 am »
The Dani driver referenced earlier supports many older SATA chipsets. I'd try that next.
During install, you will get a chance to use fdisk or the LVM manager with Warp v4.52 to partition the disk. Only use OS/2 tools to do the partitioning, so if you were also going to install Linux or Windows along side OS/2, partition from OS/2 and then install to the existing partition.

Effediesse

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 09:12:51 am »
BTW, I seem to have missed which version of OS/2 you are trying to install.  I ask that because I have iso images of Warp 4 and Warp 4 CP that allow booting and installing from the CD and can make them available if you are interested (built with bootAble)

That would be great, at least to rule out possible mistakes on my side.

During install, you will get a chance to use fdisk or the LVM manager with Warp v4.52 to partition the disk. Only use OS/2 tools to do the partitioning, so if you were also going to install Linux or Windows along side OS/2, partition from OS/2 and then install to the existing partition.

Glad to hear that, I hope top get to fdisk or LVM soon....

By the way, I have no other OS/2 machines around so creating and/or modifying images from OS/2 is not a viable option to me.