Author Topic: cups installed, how to start it?  (Read 13658 times)

mauro

• View Profile
cups installed, how to start it?
« on: October 21, 2018, 06:06:50 pm »
good evening, after some successfull software installation thanks to your help (Firefox 45.9 , VLC 3.04, Assoedit), here I am with Cups.
I have a Samsung laser color wireless printer placed in a different room, which I could configure already with Cups on other OS  (Ubuntu and TrueOs) bootable in same pc.
Ok, found Cups in ANPM, downloaded/installed the 19 related packages at same time, done.
Now, what's next?  I presume must open a browsing interface which will let me proceed with detection and installation of the printer.
Unable to find any system icon for starting Cups, just opened a terminal and typed "cupsd". Believe it is working because after entered the command, cursor goes under the "C:\" prompt, meaning that command should have activated Cups even if in background (no gui).
Then I remembered that Cups can be browsed by Firefox typing localhost:631 in the address window, which i try.
Again it seems to work, Cups menu appears. Next I click on Administration link or Network Printer link, and the page remains searching for a while. After some waiting, Firefox crashes, and I cannot open it anymore.
Is there something else I've missed or should I know for using Cups?
Thank you
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:08:37 pm by mauro »

ivan

• View Profile
Re: cups installed, how to start it?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 08:07:42 pm »
What is the model number of the printer and is it postscript enabled?

If it has a built in postscript engine like my Brother printers (DCP-9020cdw and HL-3170cdw) then you shouldn't need to mess about with cups but it will need you to have a PPD file for the printer.

BTW, I have never managed to get cups for OS/2 to work hence my getting postscript enabled printers.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 10:04:54 pm »
right, I know that ppd file is available for my printer model which is also PS enabled, but still need the proper interface that detects it enabling the device to receive printing jobs through the network, this is what Cups does.
Are there other communication possibilities?
Thank you

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 10:43:25 pm »
Hi

If using ArcaOS there should be Install Printer and Manage Printers in the Desktop -> Computer -> Printers folder.

Alternatively there is a HowTo here http://trac.netlabs.org/ecups/wiki/HowTo

Regards

Pete

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 01:22:51 am »
OK, a lot depends on how your printer is seen on the network (all of mine are wired and I have given then a fixed IP address, wireless works the same way from my AP).

I use the PSPRINT.DRV with both printer added through pin.exe using their ppd files. The actual connections are through the SLPR port using the IP address.  The only complicated part is the preparing of the ppd for OS/2 use and the readme with the PSPRINT driver explains that.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 04:22:19 am »
good evening, after some successfull software installation thanks to your help (Firefox 45.9 , VLC 3.04, Assoedit), here I am with Cups.
I have a Samsung laser color wireless printer placed in a different room, which I could configure already with Cups on other OS  (Ubuntu and TrueOs) bootable in same pc.
Which Samsung printer?  I see that there are a number supported Samsung printers but can't say if it is one that is specifically supported or if it would have to be generic.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 07:00:48 am »
C460 xpression.  But I mainly need a quick how-to on Cups start, installed in OS2.  No ArcaOS; it is Warp 4.5 in Virtualbox.
Thank you

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 01:37:14 pm »
right, I know that ppd file is available for my printer model which is also PS enabled, but still need the proper interface that detects it enabling the device to receive printing jobs through the network, this is what Cups does.
That's a misconception. The device can receive remote print jobs without involving CUPS.

You can simply print via IP using the LPR command.

For OS/2 desktop use it's better to create at least 2 printer objects.
* for PCL5c or PCL6 printer
* for PostScript printer (you will need the PPD-file form the Windows printer driver - not Linux!)
There are different IP port drivers available for OS/2: SLPR, IP Spool (http://manglais.com/download/ipspool104.zip) ...

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 04:57:51 pm »
That's a misconception. The device can receive remote print jobs without involving CUPS.

* for PostScript printer (you will need the PPD-file form the Windows printer driver - not Linux!)
There are different IP port drivers available for OS/2: SLPR, IP Spool (http://manglais.com/download/ipspool104.zip) ...

Fine, this is interesting, Cups means also a lot of software coming together with it that I'd prefer to save if possible, since I just need a connection to my network printer.  The problem for me is that I refer to solutions that I'm able to understand or that I already know and possibly with a clear/basic explaination, and in the OS2 case it's else that immediate.
This is why I keep asking by "first time questions".
Thank you

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 06:01:19 pm »
@ Bogdan,

You say to use the windows ppd and not the Linux one.  Any particular reason because I have always used the Linux ppd with the PSPRINT driver.

@ mauro,

See http://www.altsan.org/os2/printing/#cupswiz for the driver and other printer related items. The PSPRINT driver has a very good readme that should take you through the process of setting up a postscript network printer.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 06:12:49 pm by ivan »

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 06:44:19 pm »
@ Bogdan,

You say to use the windows ppd and not the Linux one.  Any particular reason because I have always used the Linux ppd with the PSPRINT driver.
It depends how you transfer the ppd file to the local file system. Linux is using the Unix text format, but it can be converted using the unix2os2 command. For the most Windows packages pkzip and the name of ppd file should be enough.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 08:43:44 pm »

Ok, I've choosen this tips among the others, seems to me the less dispersive (ecups appears more complicated in and shows some other complementary-prerequisites software needed, it is not the "all in one" package that I was looking for. At this point I've run the installation of ipspool, then I've run the utility for creating the printer name, ip address, port,....done.  Now: what is next ?  PPD driver I guess, but I miss the knowledge here.  Could you lead me to complete this task?
Thank you
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:58:24 am by mauro »

Bogdan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 10:37:45 pm »
Creating a PCL printer object (LaserJet) doesn't need any PPD file. To find a matching model from LASERJET.DRV the information from "Support for ASCII Printers from Hewlett Packard" (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1019534) can be helpful. A later Colour LaserJet model will work fine.

The PPD file is only required for updating the PSPRINT.DRV using the supplied PIN and PPDENC utility programs.

The installation of a printer object is the typical process by DnD an object from inside the *.DRV to your workplace.

Under the "Properties" - "Output Port" of the object the port (IP) can be selected.

It largely depends on your print jobs and applications which object should be used. For slow local networks (WiFi) PCL jobs should be faster.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 09:08:00 pm »
Creating a PCL printer object (LaserJet) doesn't need any PPD file. To find a matching model from LASERJET.DRV the information from "Support for ASCII Printers from Hewlett Packard" (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1019534) can be helpful. A later Colour LaserJet model will work fine.

The PPD file is only required for updating the PSPRINT.DRV using the supplied PIN and PPDENC utility programs.

The installation of a printer object is the typical process by DnD an object from inside the *.DRV to your workplace.

Under the "Properties" - "Output Port" of the object the port (IP) can be selected.

It largely depends on your print jobs and applications which object should be used. For slow local networks (WiFi) PCL jobs should be faster.

I'm getting closer.
Installed the Alex Taylor Printer Manager which allowed to set the printer object by selecting it from a list.  I've then browsed the OS2 printer list  from the Client CD and choosen  the HP Color Laserjet, with printer driver Postscript.HP Color Laserjet.PS, connected on port  \PIPE\LPD0 created by IPSpool (have configured the correct printer ip address and port 9100).  Now, this printer appears in the Firefox print menu, but as I start printing, it give the message "an error occourred while printing" , and of course nothing is being printed

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 10:46:38 pm »
Trying to send an LPD job to port 9100 is not likely to work.  That's the port for raw (a.k.a. JetDirect) IP printing which the \PIPE\LPDx driver is not likely to support.  Don't specify a port at all, the driver will automatically send to the correct port for the LPR protocol.

Better still, use an SLPR port rather than a \PIPE\LPDx port.