Author Topic: OS/2 and eComStation Open Source Software Catalog / Repository  (Read 23183 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog

OS/2 and eComStation Open Source Software Catalog / Repository

Some told me that it was a waste of time others liked the idea.

I don't know but I have enjoyed uploading all this stuff to GitHub and checking some older OS/2 development projects on hobbes.

I'm still missing more applications, but I hope to keep uploading more.

I think it will be interesting for anybody to fork the projects, improve them a little bit and try to generate their own binaries for any reason at all, learning, continuing a project or just for fun.

If you want to see how to commit or clone a git repository check my little article on EDM/2 - Using Git under eComStation

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 and eComStation Open Source Software Catalog / Repository
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:00:48 am »
It should be pointed out that besides github there is also bitbucket.org which is similar to github but also supports Mercurial and there are also a few OS/2 projects hosted there. A couple of examples, https://bitbucket.org/zetamatta/nyaos3000 and https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/mzfntcfgft. These can be cloned to github but as they are under active development a clone will get out of date and doing a lot of rebasing and merging can be excessive work.

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:33:00 am »
Also the netlabs repositories should be mentioned, as they are under active development as well. And some of the ports in github are very old and newer on netlabs.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 03:56:04 pm »
Thanks Dave. I didn't know there was some active proyects on bitbucket.org.

Silvan, I didn't wanted to clone the active netlabs svn projects yet, because the current development is going there. I put some Netlabs projects source code that didn't have a SVN repository, but I don't know if I cloned an active one. Can you give me the list of the active projects that you found that are updated on Netlabs and an old source code is on OS2World GitHub page? just to check it out.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:18:26 am »
Speaking for my projects, these are both in SVN at NetLabs already (under vxapps):
  • LIB-VX-REXX-Extras-Library
  • UTIL-ARCHIVER-ArcView
There are a number of active projects as well which don't (yet) have current repositories but are still receiving updates, or (at least in principle) may be updated in the future:
  • APP-INTERNET-FrontenACT  (this may or may not be developed further but it will probably go on NetLabs when I get around to it)
  • DRV-FreeType-2_IFI  (this is eventually going to go into a repository somewhere alongside the still-to-be-released version 2)
  • UTIL-FONT-InstFont
  • UTIL-INTERNATIONAL-ConText  (I have a later version built; I thought I'd released it months ago but maybe not. You have it listed twice in the announcement, BTW)
  • UTIL-INTERNATIONAL-dbcsmap
  • UTIL-INTERNATIONAL-IMERJ  (listed in your announcement but I can't find it on GitHub)
  • UTIL-WPS-ATShell  (may or may not be developed further, it depends on my attention span)
I don't object to them being there in principle, but you'd better be aware that the GitHub code may very well become obsolete.  In some of these cases it definitely will, or indeed already is.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:10:47 pm »
Thanks Alex.

I will check to have the source code current on the GitHub repositories, plus I had also given you access to it.

IMERJ is there, but it don't fit on the main organization page of github, you have to do a search and you will find it.
(https://github.com/OS2World/UTIL-INTERNATIONAL-IMERJ)

By the way, AtShell is very cool.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 01:21:49 pm »
Did I miss some button at GitHub? I can not find something like 'timeline' or 'changes since'.

There is a long list of repos  but how to find out on which was some activity in the past days?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 03:27:29 pm »
Hi Andi B.

The page: https://github.com/os2world shows all the repositories under the group "Os2World". The one that gets the code updated shows on the top. But please notice that my goal here was not to activate all the projects, my goal was to have the source code of OS/2 related projects to have more visibility for people that want to start coding, or possible to continue the projects for this platform.

About the timeline, check an active development repository. For example: https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2

You can see activity graphs: https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/graphs
The fork network graph: https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/network
Something called pulse: https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/pulse
And the issues posted: https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues?state=open

I'm also still learning github, but I think this may be a good start.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 02:01:19 pm »
Hi.

There is a lot of source code on hobbes. I just finished checking /pub/os2/apps/internet and I'm stuck with all the source code that is on /pub/os2/apps/mmedia. I think I will go little by little to don't burn out.

If anybody wants to help me to keep uploading more OS/2 related source code on Github.com/os2world just let me know.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:35 pm »
By the way, there is also a collateral thing that it is being produced while I search for source code on hobbes.

I also produced this page: http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Contributors

Every OS/2 software author I found I publish it on the Wiki. So it is like a wall with the name of our current and fallen heroes :)
If you want to be included on the list, or see someone missing, go ahead and create a page on the Wiki.  (remember that you can log on with the same userid and password of this forum)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:56:16 pm »
At first it looks great, but that one is apparently quite outdated. I get the impression that it describes the situation around the millenium.

More of interest in that matter would be to list the currently active developers. Even if you count contributors or people who still use it but have contributed more than 10 years ago, you'll have problems to even fill the first Wiki page.

But overall - impressive.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 11:50:56 pm »
Another consideration when listing all the open source software is programs where OS/2 fixes have been merged in upstream and/or programs that just work after a simple re-compile (perhaps with the right flags). For example of programs I've recently put on Hobbes, nasm which has supported OS/2 for close to forever and just builds and works on OS/2 though the latest no longer builds with OpenWatcom. Flac which I got a couple of minor patches commited upstream and now just works on OS/2 excepting some minor libtool problems to build. FFmpeg/libav which are the basis of most of our video support where once again fixes are pushed upstream and just works on OS/2 v4.5 and needs very minor patching to work around PM bug on v4.52 including eCS.
Thing is these types of programs need maintaining so they don't break, meaning regular building and patches pushed upstream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 07:39:19 pm »
Hi Andreas. It is not problem to create a new category called "Active Developers" (or something like that) on the wiki. It is as easy of just adding [[Category:Active Developers]] on the page of each developer. With that the Category page will populate with the list of the ones marked at active.

Hi Dave.
Marking "1)Programs where OS/2 fixes have been merged in upstream and 2)Programs that just work after a simple re-compile" will be interesting too. I had to think about it. My first thought is that there are not going to me much about the first one, since possible there are not much open source projects that have interest on including the OS/2 stuff on the upstream.  But it is interesting to try to find out how to pull this out.

I also have another problem, I don't understand much the source code that has the DIFF file, so it is not the complete source code, only the parts that change to run on OS/2-eCS. I don't know if there is some tool that helps on merging that DIFF files on the source code (with the appropriate version) or if it has to be done manually.

Like you know I'm not a developer, I just try to do my best to make the source code visible on easy to use web repository.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 10:32:31 pm »
Patch.exe is the program to use. Quickly looking on Hobbes all I found is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/dev/util/patch212.zip which is probably good enough though I'm sure there are newer versions around.
Use is patch.exe -p0 < foo.diff, sometimes need -p1 instead and always -p1 for git formatted patches.. I usually test with patch.exe --dry-run -p0 < foo.diff and also add --binary to keep unix line endings so patch.exe -p0 --dry-run --binary < the_patch.diff
If the patch doesn't cleanly apply you will get rej files and they will need to be applied by hand.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:39:52 pm by Dave Yeo »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 12:10:32 am »
Thanks Dave for explaining it to me.

It makes me wonder if it makes sense to have a git repository with only the DIFF file, or the idea is to have all the complete source in it.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster