WebSite Information > Article Discussions

OS/2 and eComStation Open Source Software Catalog / Repository

(1/4) > >>

Martin Iturbide:

--- Quote ---OS/2 and eComStation Open Source Software Catalog / Repository

--- End quote ---

Some told me that it was a waste of time others liked the idea.

I don't know but I have enjoyed uploading all this stuff to GitHub and checking some older OS/2 development projects on hobbes.

I'm still missing more applications, but I hope to keep uploading more.

I think it will be interesting for anybody to fork the projects, improve them a little bit and try to generate their own binaries for any reason at all, learning, continuing a project or just for fun.

If you want to see how to commit or clone a git repository check my little article on EDM/2 - Using Git under eComStation

Regards

Dave Yeo:
It should be pointed out that besides github there is also bitbucket.org which is similar to github but also supports Mercurial and there are also a few OS/2 projects hosted there. A couple of examples, https://bitbucket.org/zetamatta/nyaos3000 and https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/mzfntcfgft. These can be cloned to github but as they are under active development a clone will get out of date and doing a lot of rebasing and merging can be excessive work.

Silvan Scherrer:
Also the netlabs repositories should be mentioned, as they are under active development as well. And some of the ports in github are very old and newer on netlabs.

regards
Silvan

Martin Iturbide:
Thanks Dave. I didn't know there was some active proyects on bitbucket.org.

Silvan, I didn't wanted to clone the active netlabs svn projects yet, because the current development is going there. I put some Netlabs projects source code that didn't have a SVN repository, but I don't know if I cloned an active one. Can you give me the list of the active projects that you found that are updated on Netlabs and an old source code is on OS2World GitHub page? just to check it out.

Alex Taylor:
Speaking for my projects, these are both in SVN at NetLabs already (under vxapps):

* LIB-VX-REXX-Extras-Library
* UTIL-ARCHIVER-ArcViewThere are a number of active projects as well which don't (yet) have current repositories but are still receiving updates, or (at least in principle) may be updated in the future:

* APP-INTERNET-FrontenACT  (this may or may not be developed further but it will probably go on NetLabs when I get around to it)
* DRV-FreeType-2_IFI  (this is eventually going to go into a repository somewhere alongside the still-to-be-released version 2)
* UTIL-FONT-InstFont
* UTIL-INTERNATIONAL-ConText  (I have a later version built; I thought I'd released it months ago but maybe not. You have it listed twice in the announcement, BTW)
* UTIL-INTERNATIONAL-dbcsmap
* UTIL-INTERNATIONAL-IMERJ  (listed in your announcement but I can't find it on GitHub)
* UTIL-WPS-ATShell  (may or may not be developed further, it depends on my attention span)I don't object to them being there in principle, but you'd better be aware that the GitHub code may very well become obsolete.  In some of these cases it definitely will, or indeed already is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version