Author Topic: OS/2 and eComStation Open Source Software Catalog / Repository  (Read 23184 times)

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 and eComStation Open Source Software Catalog / Repository
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 10:01:53 am »
Martin,

you are really doing a great job here, but I would not add stuff for projects still maintained. As then your repo is outdated very fast.
I didn't look too close at what's in your repo, but i found some which are still maintained and newer than what you added.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 04:46:20 pm »
Hi Silvan.

This is because I'm starting to check hobbes, file by file, for source code. And I have finished "pub/os2/util" and had advanced on "pub/os2/apps" but I'm right now on "pub/os2/mmedia/".   When I finish "apps" I will go with "dev" next.

I haven't focused on the netlabs repositories source code yet or any other source (ok, there are a few exceptions that I grabbed random). This is only the order I choose. I want to bring visibility to the stuff that we didn't know that we have the source code for.

For the software that is still maintained, I prefer to try to convince the developer to join Github, under the OS2World organization (but it is not mandatory, if it is on github is good for me). I'm not in an active campaign to contact current developer yet.  But I have a lot of interest to convince active developer to do their development on the open on GitHub. If there someone I can help let me know.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 04:12:41 pm »
What I think it was going to be a weekend activity is taking a lot more time, since I didn't measure correctly the quantity of source code we have available for the OS/2 platform.  I always thought that I was not going to pass the "250" open source code projects mark, but at the end I felt good that I was wrong.

The good thing is that I had finished with "pub/os2/apps", "pub/os2/util" on hobbes. Yes I had checked file by file to see which application has the source code on it.
For the moment like 796 repositories (aprox)  had came out of those two directories.

As a consequence of checking file by file on hobbes, I also created a list of OS/2 contributors of the present and past that is on the OS2World Wiki (Contributors). With that list I plan on the future to keep track and try to contact more developers to release their source code to the public. (help is also welcome)

Now I started to check "pub/os2/dev" and "pub/os2/system" to start uploading source code to github.

Please remember that the idea is not to resurrect all this projects, but to have a more open and friendly access to this source code. Plus I always wanted to have a inventory of all source code and open source software we have for this platform. Instead of making a list I wanted to take the extra step of putting the source code somewhere. Developers can ask me for to access to maintain the developers, or they can fork the projects on their own.

More help is always welcome. I think once I finish with hobbes that will be more time to get source code from other sources. But any kind of help and collaboration is welcome, reply me to my email or on this forum.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.