Author Topic: RISC OS now Open Source.  (Read 5985 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
RISC OS now Open Source.
« on: October 24, 2018, 06:36:38 pm »
Hi.

There has been an interesting announcement about RISC OS
- https://www.riscosopen.org/news/articles/2018/10/22/risc-os-is-open-for-business

"The release of RISC OS under the Apache license is scheduled for this weekend, to coincide with the popular RISC OS London Show on Saturday 27 October."

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
Re: RISC OS now Open Source.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 04:51:11 pm »
Hi.

There has been an interesting announcement about RISC OS
- https://www.riscosopen.org/news/articles/2018/10/22/risc-os-is-open-for-business

RISC OS has been open source for about 15 years, what has changed it the ownership and licence, keep in mind that this is a very simple OS, simpler than Windows 3.x in most respects.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 05:45:47 pm »
Hi Olafur

For what I understand they are moving from a "some components are open soruce and other don't" to a full open source license. Sharing the source code does not mean it is open source. Open source means it is under one of this licenses.

But the reason for me to post this (on the off topic forum) is to also show there is activity, support and market for OSS operating systems :)  I respect the accomplishment of RISC OS, Haiku OS and React OS, even if they are not my platform or choice. Why creating another open source OS if the world already have Linux? That's their accomplishment.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

danielnez1

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:45:02 pm »
I occasionally use RISC OS 5 on my Raspberry Pi.

In the U.K. RISC OS was extremely popular in schools right up to around 2000. My first school (I would have been around 3 to 9 back then) had Acorn A3000s and RISC PCs running RISC OS 2 up to 3.6 or 3.71). By the time I left Middle School for High School in 2001, the Middle School still had several original Acorn Archimedes desktops (the first commercial devices ever to have a ARM CPU) running RISC OS 3.11. The OS seemed so powerful and fast yet easy to use compared to Windows 3.0 which was on a IBM PS/2 system that was always at the back of the classroom  ;D