Author Topic: Dual Network adapters  (Read 8202 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Dual Network adapters
« on: November 01, 2018, 04:52:46 pm »
Hi

I guess this is a very basic thing that I don't know how to do on OS/2 and ArcaOS.

If you have two networks adapters configured in OS/2, one wired working and connected to an ethernet network, and one not working wifi (with a Genmac driver). How do you tell ArcaOS to use the Ethernet one for internet/network, without deinstalling the non-working wifi driver?

If I remove the non-working wifi  from the "adapter protocols" it will work, but I don't want to uninstall it for some testing that I'm doing with Genmac.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Dual Network adapters
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 05:05:08 pm »
One way, take one down? eg ifconfig lan1 down, then you can bring it back up with ifconfig lan1 up not sure what the wireless adapter is called. Maybe listed in \mptn\bin\setup.cmd or such.
Probably do it with a route command as well, but don't know how.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 05:26:40 pm »
Configure all adapters (wired and wireless) in MPTS/NAPS. I usually configure the wired adapter first. F.i.
- first adapter Intel(R) PRO.. - Protocols 0 - TCP/IP, 0 - NETBIOS (not over TCP/IP in this case, you would need a different number if you're using 'Netbios over TCP/IP')
- second adapter GenMac Wrapper... - Protocols 1 - TCP/IP, ...1|2|....

You need to use different protocol numbers if you have the same protocol bound to different interfaces though. Hence the 0 and 1 above for TCP/IP.

Usually I do not configured the wireless in TCPIP config. So \mptn\bin\setup.cmd has only one ifconfig lan0 ... statement (actually more in my case as I use alias addresses too. But that's a different story). If the wireless is up and running dhclient & xwlan/wlanstat does the TCP/IP reconfiguring (if needed).

But if you have a GenMac supported interface which is running at bootup you can also configure fixed TCP/IP if you like. You only need to use different networks for different adapters (f.i. 192.168.... / 10.0....). Probably this is not what you like so I do not explain more on this now. Ask again if you need more information.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 05:38:45 pm »
With a working GenMac WiFi driver, I just let xlan manage the two network adapters.

With a non-working GenMac WiFi driver, I found I did need to deinstall the GenMac driver for the wired Ethernet driver to function.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 06:26:55 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

I tried what your suggestions and I think the behavior of a non working GenMac driver affects the first adapter.
- lan0 is the wired card
- lan1 is the wireless card (non working Genmac)

I removed the TCP/IP protocol from "Adapters and Networks" of the lan1 wireless card, and lan0 and TCPIP worked fine on the next reboot. (I even checked out the TCP from lan1 on the TCPIP configuration notebook and was not enough.)

With TCPIP installed on lan1, "ifconfig lan1 down" was supposed to do something but "ifconfig lan1 up" did not work showing an "up:Operastion not supported", the up command was not working even for lan0. That got fixed with I removed TCPIP from lan1.

Why I'm so stubborn to leave the GenMac non working driver there?, just because I want to test on that machine if I can make GenMU work for that adapter. After some tests, if I can not make it work, I will remove it.

Thanks.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 06:50:35 pm »
2Martin: You also can try commenting out the section for your GenMAC adapter in protocol.ini, instead of completely removing it from MPTS. And comment the driver out in config.sys too. When you'll need to experiment with it again, just uncomment it and reboot. BTW, I'm always editing protocol.ini by hand, no need to use mpts.exe. The protocol.ini syntax is easy :)

PS: I never saw non-working GenMAC preventing to work a wired card. This is strange.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 03:30:15 am »
Martin,

I'm sorry but my feedback below will not help with your issue. However, since the subject of a dual NIC came up, regardless of what connection it is, wired of WiFi, once working, how can one configure this in OS/2 to maximize the benefit of having such a setup?

Here is why I ask: I currently have a Fibre 120Mb setup...about to move to a Gigabit in less than a week. So the 1st thing that pops into my mind is: hmmm, why don't I tweak the setups so that the up and down directions are bound to different NICs? Is that possible?

I am assuming something like a true link aggregation is not possible on OS/2...but can someone confirm that?

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 04:43:59 am »
So this one is an oldie, but maybe a goodie too???  :o

I'm bringing it back from the "dead" b/c a newer version of motherboard is heading my way (nuthin' fancy, just a small upgrade to SATA3 and maybe this platform will finally allow me to run the 6 cores of my Phenom X6 CPU?).

Anyways, that board has dual NICs. Both of them are RealTek chipsets, supposed to be exactly the same stuff I'm running on my board right now. So from a drivers' side of things, it may be a good-news story, aka plug-it in and run!

Therefore, I am curious how one could take advantage of such a configuration?

Specifically, I now have that 1Gig fibre feed into my house, OS/2 shows a pretty decent 820 Mbit/s throughput rate on average when I test (speedtest script).

1st idea is to setup one NIC of all WAN traffic, while the 2nd serves the LAN only...either way, I do not have much traffic on either one, so I'm not sure if the effort and added complexity is worth it?

If not, how would one split up the OS/2 tcpip traffic to take advantage of the two ports?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:59:10 am by Dariusz Piatkowski »