Author Topic: Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version  (Read 105939 times)

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version
« on: November 02, 2018, 11:30:29 pm »
Hi, I'm currently developing a VBox shared folders IFS for OS/2 guest. It is not
finished, yet, and I'm adding the fixes currently to it. But it is mostly working
already, and copying files from/to shared folders works. The current link is here:

ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r218.zip

Many people needed the VBox additions, so it should be a
great help for them. So, if anybody wants the OS/2 additions,
please try and test.

You should add these statements to config.sys:

rem The main VBox additions driver
device=d:\os2\boot\VBoxGuest.sys

rem The shared folders IFS
ifs=d:\os2\boot\VBoxSF.ifs
run=d:\os2\VBoxService.exe

rem VBox Mouse driver
rem device=d:\os2\boot\mouse.sys
device=d:\os2\boot\VBoxMouse.sys

In case you have amouse.sys instead of mouse.sys, comment it out too.

Also, for video integration, there is a VBox GRADD driver, vbxgradd.dll. In case
you have SNAP installed, you should have the following lines in config.sys:

set gradd_chains=c1
set c1=sddgradd
set greext=sddgrext

In case you have panorama installed, you should have these lines
in your config.sys:

set gradd_chains=c1
set c1=vbe2grad
set greext=panogrex

To install the VBox video driver, you need to comment the above lines out
and change them to the following ones:

set gradd_chains=c1
set c1=vbxgradd

Also, if you have SNAP installed, you can comment sddhelp.sys. But then, you
also need to comment out/remove the

#includecode "sddpmi.dll"

from \os2\svgadata.pmi file and change it to

#includecode "genpmi.dll"

Otherwise, sddpmi.dll will load, and try to open sddhelp.sys driver, and
fail, so, it will stop with an error message. To avoid this, you need to change
sddpmi.dll to genpmi.dll in svgadata.pmi file.

Alternatively, you can just set your video driver to GenGRADD first with
"setgradd" command in command line (you need to boot into command line
for this), or use corresponding menu item in Recovery choices screen.
But setgradd.cmd command and "Set video to GenGRADD" option in
Recovery choices appeared in eComStation, only. Older versions of OS/2
have setvga.cmd command and "Set video to VGA" option, only. But you
should use a GRADD video driver, so "Set video to VGA" option is not
suitable in this case.

VBoxService.exe should be on PATH, of course. Note that VBoxSF.ifs has the following
command line switches:

/V       verbose init (enable messages)
/Q       quiet init (disable messages)
/D       output debug messages to VBox log, and also to QSINIT/OS4/ArcaLDR built-in log.
           In case QSINIT/ARCALDR or OS/4 kernel are not available, the messages are directed
           directly to COM1
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:18:24 am by Valery Sedletski »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 03:38:07 am »
Hi Valerius.

I'm trying it on a Windows 10 Host (VirtualBox 5.2.20) and ArcaOS 5.0.1 as a guest.  But I put all the files on C:\Programs\VBox2.

I used to get the trap I'm attaching when the PMSHELL loads.  But it got fixed when I updated to Panorama 1.11.

How is supposed to mount the drive on the OS/2 guest? Something like "net use x: \\vboxsvr\share" ? Which protocol is it needed for this, NETBIOS ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 09:32:19 am »
Hi, I'm currently developing a VBox shared folders IFS for OS/2 guest. It is not
finished, yet, and I'm adding the fixes currently to it. But it is mostly working
already, and copying files from/to shared folders works. The current link is here:

ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/vbox-additions-os2-r177.zip

Many people needed the VBox additions, so it should be a
great help for them. So, if anybody wants the OS/2 additions,
please try and test.
………………………………………..

Good, Vbox guest additions for os2 is one of my unsolved task .  Tried to install the official ones I had an unrecoverable trap stop on rebooting similar to what shown by Martin here above, and would be nice having more luck with these.
Would you please provide more detailed installation instructions? I see some executable and some other system files in the two directories (I presume to be copied in respective OS2 root ones) plus you explaination on how to edit the config sys, but I'd need -and maybe others as well- a more comprehensive installation guide.  Thank you much
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:38:29 am by mauro »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:37:45 pm »
2Martin: You don't need Panorama, as VBox uses it's own video driver. Though,
you can install Panorama (or SNAP) first, and replace its GRADD driver with that
from VBox. VBox video driver can be installed over any existing GRADD driver,
including GENGRADD.

So, you had that trap in PMDD if you install vbxgradd.dll without prior install
of Panorama?

How is supposed to mount the drive on the OS/2 guest? Something like
"net use x: \\vboxsvr\share" ? Which protocol is it needed for this, NETBIOS ?

Shared folders are attached like this:

VBoxSFAttach w: 1.-os2

in your case. Though, it is usually not required. All shared folders you specified
in the VM config will be mounted automatically.

NETBIOS has nothing common with shared folders. You don't need to install
any network protocols for them. Shared folders is the VM feature. The VM
exposes some host machine disks to the guest. To access them, the shared
folders IFS calls API's in VBox. So, the guest just communicates with the host
side. There are special services run on both, the guest side, and the host side.

PS: I tested it successfully with VBox 5.2.20 on Linux host. The additions are
built with 5.0.51.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:16:43 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 01:55:33 pm »
2mauro: There are the instructions in the official readme on Oracle's Additions ISO,
though, it is brief too. Mine is even more thorough :) Not sure, what's not clear for
you? You should copy all the files in respective directories (or somewhere to \programs,
or whatever directory you use for installing apps). Only vbxgradd.dll should be on the
LIBPATH. Any other programs can have arbitrary location. You should have any GRADD
driver installed, prior to vbxgradd.dll installation (GENGRADD, Panorama or SNAP are
good).

You need to use VBoxMouse.sys instead of mouse.sys (just comment it out). So all you
need is the following statements in config.sys:

device=\...\VBoxGuest.sys
device=\...\VBoxMouse.sys
ifs=\...\VBoxSF.ifs

set c1=vbxgradd

You should comment out mouse.sys and the "set" line for your previous GRADD
driver. If something is not clear, please tell more specifically :)

PS: And yes (I forgot to mention), you need the latest kLIBC and libcx installed
into your guest, because the Additions are built with GCC.

> Tried to install the official ones I had an unrecoverable trap stop on rebooting
similar to what shown by Martin here above, and would be nice having more
luck with these.

The trap in PMDD usually means that you have your video driver misconfigured.
So, you only need to install it correctly.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:09:36 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 03:11:54 pm »
Hi Valery

VBoxSFAttach w: 1.-os2

The command mounts the W: drive, but it shows empty in the GUI (known issue #1, right?). On the command line it list something but without file names (Check picture)
I'm not sure if there is another requirement that I'm missing. Anyways, it looks very promising.

A thing that got broken with this version of "VBoxGuest.sys" is the bidirectional "Shared Clipboard" can you also check if it is working for you?

Regards
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:23:04 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 03:54:20 pm »
2Martin: Are you sure you started VBoxService.exe successfully? You should add it to
startup.cmd, otherwise Additions will not work. VBoxService.exe automounts all shared
folders, so you don't need to mount them manually. Also, it handles the shared clipboard
too. If shared clipboard is not working, then most probably, VboxService.exe is not
running.

> The command mounts the W: drive, but it shows empty in the GUI (known issue #1, right?). On the command line it list something but without file names (Check picture)
>I'm not sure if there is another requirement that I'm missing. Anyways, it looks very promising.

As I said, WPS Drives object is not working at the moment. CMD.EXE doesn't work too, indeed
(because not all DosFindFirst flags are working yet). But File Commander/2 and 4OS/2 work fine.
Also, command.com and Volkov Commander show file listings in a VDM (though, the file name
translation short <-> long is to be implemented, yet -- similar way as it's done in fat32.ifs for
exFAT).

PS: Hm, indeed, looks like shared clipboard is not working, even with VBoxService.exe running.

PPS: It appears that VBoxService.exe quits after it mounts the shared folders. Need to see why.
This is the reason why shared clipbord is not working -- it requires a running VBoxService.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:26:53 pm by Valery Sedletski »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 09:05:41 pm »
2mauro: There are the instructions in the official readme on Oracle's Additions ISO,
though, it is brief too. Mine is even more thorough :) Not sure, what's not clear for
you? You should copy all the files in respective directories (or somewhere to \programs,
or whatever directory you use for installing apps). Only vbxgradd.dll should be on the
LIBPATH. Any other programs can have arbitrary location. You should have any GRADD
driver installed, prior to vbxgradd.dll installation (GENGRADD, Panorama or SNAP are
good).

ok , understood.   Trying and see what happens is not a problem, in case of disaster I will revert to the stepback just saved.
Thank you, I'll let you know as I will take the time for doing this.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:18:06 am »
good).

ok , understood.   Trying and see what happens is not a problem, in case of disaster I will revert to the stepback just saved.
Thank you, I'll let you know as I will take the time for doing this.

again: "the system detected an internal processing error".  Sorry, too tricky for me, hope wil find in the future an automated installation routine.  Thank you anyhow.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:22:03 am by mauro »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 09:57:37 am »
2mauro: No fully automated procedure. I'd avoid automated config.sys modifications.
It should be modified by hand, because it's easy enough. Uninstalling drivers in case of
problems is easy too. You can boot to command line and fix your config.sys. It is not
windows, everything is user-controlled. So, please set up your video driver correctly,
until you install vbxgradd.dll.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 01:15:09 pm »
2mauro: No fully automated procedure. I'd avoid automated config.sys modifications.
It should be modified by hand, because it's easy enough. Uninstalling drivers in case of
problems is easy too. You can boot to command line and fix your config.sys. It is not
windows, everything is user-controlled. So, please set up your video driver correctly,
until you install vbxgradd.dll.

yes Valery, I agree with the OS2 system concept (since 1996, it was the preinstalled OS in my first pc) like I approve Linux philosophy using it as well.  I already have recovered the well working OS2 system version making an .ova backup just yesterday as I presumed this situation.  I'd like to manage something a bit less complicated when-where possible.  I'm getting a very precious help here and could configure some software with the users suggestions whom I'm happy to deal with.  Returning on this specific issue, believe the trouble consists in uncorrect editing of the config.sys and startup.cmd (I have a blank one, no script in it), even if your explaination appeared to be clear enough for that. I then feel confident to have positioned the files in the right paths, and also had created a C:\OS2\OS2Addition where to place the exe files as recommended by the original VBox Guest instructions.   The only way to resolve in my case, I think, would be submitting to you my config.sys and startup.cmd to be correctly edited, understanding meantime that it is not a simple favour to ask for.   ::)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:03:16 pm by mauro »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 02:54:38 pm »
2mauro: Why do you need to backup the VM as .ova? It can be fixed without that -- using the
same techniques you use with OS/2 on real hardware. So, all you need is return your config.sys
as it was before your modifications. You remember what did you modified, don't you? You can
always boot OS/2 to the "recovery choices" menu and go to the command line, and edit your
config.sys. (As always, press Alt-F1 when the white brick with the "OS/2" caption on right appears.
So, the "recovery choices" menu should appear. Then choose "F2" to boot in the command line.
Didn't you used it before? Once you're booted into the command line, you can start tedit, FC/2,
or any other text editor you like). And you return your video driver back to GENGRADD or VGA
from the "recovery choices" menu, in case of any video driver troubles. So, you could return
to a GENGRADD driver, then replace it to VBXGRADD, as I described before.

PS: You can post your config.sys, i could look at it. Startup.cmd doesn't matter, most probably.
I doubt it can make any troubles. All you need from it is start VBoxService here. It looks like you
have video driver troubles. So, revert to GENGRADD and try installing the additions again.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 08:41:21 pm »
2mauro: Why do you need to backup the VM as .ova? It can be fixed without that -- using the
same techniques you use with OS/2 on real hardware. So, all you need is return your config.sys
as it was before your modifications. You remember what did you modified, don't you? You can
always boot OS/2 to the "recovery choices" menu and go to the command line, and edit your
config.sys. (As always, press Alt-F1 when the white brick with the "OS/2" caption on right appears.
So, the "recovery choices" menu should appear. Then choose "F2" to boot in the command line.
Didn't you used it before? Once you're booted into the command line, you can start tedit, FC/2,
or any other text editor you like). And you return your video driver back to GENGRADD or VGA
from the "recovery choices" menu, in case of any video driver troubles. So, you could return
to a GENGRADD driver, then replace it to VBXGRADD, as I described before.

PS: You can post your config.sys, i could look at it. Startup.cmd doesn't matter, most probably.
I doubt it can make any troubles. All you need from it is start VBoxService here. It looks like you
have video driver troubles. So, revert to GENGRADD and try installing the additions again.

ok, I sent to you my config,sys lines in a private message, thank you.
I keep my mind that saving the machine status in .ova format (if you work in Virtual Box) just before a system update that could prevent to reboot it again, is the more pratical way to obtain the machine as it was before the change.  3 minutes to create the .ova image, 2 minutes for restoring it, if necessary. I know how to go in OS2 recovery menu, I did once, then I do not know how to operate for editing by command line.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:20 am »
2Mauro:

> ok, I sent to you my config,sys lines in a private message, thank you.

Your config.sys looks ok. But I asked for a modified config.sys which causes your system to trap.
So, it's bad that you have it restored to the previous state. Did you BTW commented the

set greext=panogrex

line? It can cause a trap in PMDD too, because panogrex.dll is a Panorama part,
you should disable it if you use another video driver.

I keep my mind that saving the machine status in .ova format (if you work in Virtual Box) just before a system update that could prevent to reboot it again, is the more pratical way to obtain the machine as it was before the change.  3 minutes to create the .ova image, 2 minutes for restoring it, if necessary. I know how to go in OS2 recovery menu, I did once, then I do not know how to operate for editing by command line.

Don't you know how to start FileCommander/2 or another VIO-based file manager? Having it in your
system is a must. It's possible to use a command line, only ("cd" and "dir" commands are all you need),
then use "tedit" text editor, which is present in every system (just run "tedit c:\config.sys"), but FC/2 is
easier. You just add it to PATH and all you need to do, once in the command line, is to start "fc".

Too bad that you cannot use simple shell commands. I thought, every OS/2 user knows them. It's
the basic skills every user should know. If you don't know it, I could not help you :(

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 06:57:29 am »
Ok, I take your recommendation to get FC/2. Yes, I commented 'set greext=panogrex' as 'rem set greext=panogrex' , like I did the rest of the editing in the config.sys.
As necessary, if you say so, I would also repeat my editing and send you the modified config.sys.
Thank you