Author Topic: Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version  (Read 105971 times)

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
Re: Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2019, 12:33:55 pm »
Hi all! (especially, Martin).

I fixed stack overflows in filename translation (short <-> long) code, occuring on IBM's kernels. On OS/4
kernels all was ok, because they have twice more stack. So, trap 0008 occuring when selecting the shared
folder in windows file manager, may be fixed too, as I suspect that it is the same (I observed trap 0008 too).
So, Martin, please test. The link is:

ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r212.zip

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2019, 12:27:34 am »
Thank you Valery for the update. It is going to take me sometime to test it, like one week.
I will get back to this post once I try it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2019, 10:27:26 pm »
Hi all!

I uploaded a new release:

ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r213.zip

There were some forgotten changes in previous release I added here. For example, forgotten memory release
in some places. So, now these memory leaks are fixed. Martin, please better use this version.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2019, 05:46:51 pm »
Hi Valery,

I'm still trying to get vBox working on OS/2 on my Ryzen based computer.  I downloaded the vbox-os2-v5.0.51 and followed the instructions for installing but all I get when I try to run it is an error (see attachment).

I therefore have some questions.
1) does the vboxdrv.sys give any indication when it loads?  I see nothing when config.sys lists drivers, top and other process viewers don't show it either.
2) do you think I am missing something obvious?  If so what should I be looking for?

Any suggestions or other ideas.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2019, 09:34:10 am »
2ivan: No, VboxDrv.sys does not write any messages during the boot. The message you posted can mean different things. It means that it fails
to create the XPCOM object. Something got wrong. The reasons can be different. It usually just fails to load some libraries. Usually, some of the
required libs is missing, or outdated. Or, it fails to loads a library because of a shared memory problems. May also loading libraries to high memory
help. Or, some libraries are missing or outrdated. Are you sure you installed all needed libraries? The download page lists all the dependencies.
You'd better use yum/rpm to install dependencies, because installing everything manually is tricky and not supported.

PS: What VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT do you have? (it may be too low)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:35:51 am by Valery Sedletski »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2019, 04:53:37 pm »
I'm still trying to get vBox working on OS/2 on my Ryzen based computer.  I downloaded the vbox-os2-v5.0.51 and followed the instructions for installing but all I get when I try to run it is an error (see attachment).

That problem is caused by LIBC. If you use DragText (part of ArcaOS), you can go to the Environment tab, in the VirtualBox icon, and add "LIBCX_HIGHMEM=2", and it will probably work. If you don't use DragText, you can add "SET LIBCX_HIGHMEM=2" to CONFIG.SYS (affects ALL programs that use LIBC), or wrap VirtualBox.EXE so it sets that before starting.

I have no idea what it really does, but it works, for me.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2019, 11:24:58 pm »
2Doug Bissett: You're right. Another cause of this error could be libcx allocating buffers in high memory. Some OS/2 API's doesn't
like when buffers are in high memory, so they need to use them in lower memory. To use buffers in lower memory, IIRC, LIBCX_HIGHMEM=2
option can be used.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2019, 02:54:01 pm »
Thank you Valery and Doug for trying to help but after more reboots and chkdsk in the last two days than the preceding nine months I have decided to go the hardware route and have ordered the necessary KVM and PS/2 to USB adapters to make it work.

Yes, I did get vBox to limp along on OS/2/ArcaOS but the fact that I couldn't get it to install the latest Linux ZorinOS because it appears that vBox doesn't like 64bit OSs running on OS/2.

Apart from very frequent vBox crashes causing hard reset and chkdsk (3TB takes a loooong time), I was experiencing problems with several of the programs I run as standard.

Having now removed vBox and its driver from my main computer all appears to be back to what it was before I started the exercise and hopefully tomorrow (when Amazon delivers) I will be able to call up Zorin at the press of a button (it gives me firefox 60.8.0esr and direct access to my met station) all I have to do is work out how to share files between the two.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2019, 04:34:32 pm »
ZorinOS? What's it? Linux distro? Never used it. Yes, 64-bit guests currently don't work. Yes, some Linux distros
haven't a 32-bit version. The work on hardware virtualization is being worked on, but not yet. It should
work, in theory. At least. I ran Ubuntu 64-bit guest on WinXP 32-bit host, so it can be done on OS/2 too,
but not yet. Why do you need necessarily the exotic ZorinOS, why not e,g, Debian,
which has a 32-bit version?

PS: I have Debian on a bare hardware too (two separate machines and a ssh session from one
to another)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:39:20 pm by Valery Sedletski »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2019, 05:41:17 pm »
ZorinOS because I use it for teaching transition from Windows to Linux.  For some reason most people don't see it as 'threatening' or 'difficult' as other Linux versions.

I also have Linux Mint on a small form factor unit (ITX) that is the termination of my met station which feeds daily data to a couple of NAS boxes to allow for monthly data analysis using Mesa on OS/2.

Again, thank you for your help.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2020, 10:25:37 pm »
Hi ppl!

Today I updated my version of VBox additions to the following version:

ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r215.zip

Now it has a long-awaited fix present: an empty EA's generation fix. Now dummy EA's generated correctly.
This makes the WPS Drives object to work as it should. Previously it began populating the folder window,
then in the middle of process, it wrote an error about "No objects that are meet the specified find criteria...".
Then you pressed the OK or Cancel button and the window closed. Now this error is fixed.
Please test.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2020, 05:38:34 pm »
Hi ppl!

Today I updated my version of VBox additions to the following version:

ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r215.zip

Now it has a long-awaited fix present: an empty EA's generation fix. Now dummy EA's generated correctly.
This makes the WPS Drives object to work as it should. Previously it began populating the folder window,
then in the middle of process, it wrote an error about "No objects that are meet the specified find criteria...".
Then you pressed the OK or Cancel button and the window closed. Now this error is fixed.
Please test.

Hi Valery, said that I appreciate (and use) the previous version which mostly works in the important GA functionalities, the installation of this version causes a trap in booting and I had to recover the previous machine state on Virtualbox to have a successful boot again.
I have literally applied the instructions as i did for installing the previous version but this time they seems too complicated, and I do not exclude may have missed/misunderstood something…
-add/modify lines to config sys
-replace files in some folders but you might or might not have the unixroot compliance and might also (or might not) use ANPM for some dll version instead of replace them with the given ones, if you are smart enough to find which case applies… makes it hard to focus what to do

I have tried to follow every description with goodwill, but the result discourages me, so I went back on what it was before.
Repeat, my mind is that your work on GA updating is valid and keep it up, as I think it will work for the most other cases.
Thank you

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2020, 06:01:59 pm »
Hi Valery

I tried quickly yesterday, and it worked better from the other versions that you can no even surf the directories with the WPS.

1) I shared on the Windows host the folder where I have some OS/2 downloads, and I can see it now on the WPS, not error showing.
The only issue that I found is that I can not open some files with long names.

Here is the screenshot:

It looks like WPS can not pass the full long name of the file to PMView to open it. (not complete sure if I'm saying it right).
Update: It is the brackets.. if I remove the brackets I can open it directly.

2) I was wondering also a different thing. You call your file with version 5.0.51, but currently the official vbox OS/2 guest drivers are on version 6.1. (which I guess there is not much difference). Are you using a current copy of the addons source code? Do you have it sync with the official repository?

Regards
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:20:01 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2020, 06:17:33 pm »
Hi valery

3) Copying files from the WPS (from the shared folder - Windows Host, to the WPS desktop) gives me some problems too.
Some files give a path can not be found error, other just lock the WPS on the copying dialog box.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2020, 06:25:39 pm »
4) Maybe it is related to problem #3. I can open directly from the host some files like PNG, PDFs, and some wpi installers. But EXE WarpIn installer give me this error when I run them from the shared host.

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster