Author Topic: Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version  (Read 106026 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 04:41:25 pm »
Ohh. I just found it. It was almost same thing that I was doing with SNAP.

On the host:
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata "ArcaOS 5.0.3" "CustomVideoMode1" "1920x1080x32"

And the resolution started to show on the Screen options.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 05:38:57 pm »
2Martin Iturbide: Yes, this works for me too, just tried. Switched to full screen successfully, but can't
switch back because the Host key doesn't work for some reason in VBox version 5.2.20 (Linux host).
Too bad. Needed to kill the VM.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 09:58:23 pm »
Hi

2Martin Iturbide: Yes, this works for me too, just tried. Switched to full screen successfully, but can't
switch back because the Host key doesn't work for some reason in VBox version 5.2.20 (Linux host).
Too bad. Needed to kill the VM.

I'm using VBOX 5.2.22 on Windows (host). The Host+F works fine for me on the ArcaOS guest, my host key is the right control key.

I still need to do more testing with the IFS and also find out why the "birectional clipboard" is not working anymore.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 06:59:21 am »
2Martin Iturbide: I updated to 5.2.22 too, but it didn't helped (I have VBox under Linux on my
laptop. Maybe, it's working for you because you have Windows). It seems, if the host key is
Right Ctrl, it doesn't work. But when I tried to change it to Right Alt, it worked. so, it finally
works for me.

Shared clipboard doesn't work because VBoxService.exe quits after it has shared folders mounted.
Shared clipboard service is a part if it. So, I need to fix VBoxService first.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 08:19:05 am »
Hi, with some trouble but much effort (and questions too) I did the installation of these guest additions, and think I moved some steps ahead from zero.

after placed the files in their respective working directory and modified the config.sys as written, here's how it works now:

-Mouse integration works
-Shared folder works in FC/2, I didn't catch immediately that I had to find it there

-non need to modify the Startup.cmd file, I just copied a shadow of VBoxService.exe  in the Startup folder contained inside OS/2 System utilities, it does its job.

Then initially I could reboot the system but only VGA resolution (640x480 16 colors) was possible, no other parametres to set in the System Panel. This because I renamed Gengradd.dll and Panogrex.dll, thinking that at this point Vbxgradd.dll should take their place.
But the video settings/resolution/colors came back working with its parameters as before as I decided to restored gengradd.dll .
So I do not see Guest Addition video driver action by now .

Just like to ask if this indication here below is valid when you tell to comment out 'set gradd_chains=c1'  but after that this line has to be rewritten again same it was:

…….
set gradd_chains=c1
set c1=vbe2grad
set greext=panogrex

To install the VBox video driver, you need to comment the above lines out
and change them to the following ones:

set gradd_chains=c1
set c1=vbxgradd

my guest system is OS2 Warp 4.52, hosted in Windows 10, VirtualBox v 5.2.18 and I have not installed before the Guest additions officially provided with it

Thank you

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 10:16:28 am »
2Mauro:

> -non need to modify the Startup.cmd file, I just copied a shadow of VBoxService.exe  in the Startup folder contained inside OS/2 System utilities, it does its job.

Yes, this should work both ways. No big difference.

No need to comment the

set gradd_chains=c1

line, and add it again. The position of that line in config.sys doesn't matter. So, you returned
gengradd.dll back? As I said, with lhe latest version, vbxgradd.dll should work too. It is better
because it is faster and it provides support for extra video modes, as Martin said about adding
the 1920x1080x32 mode.

And no need to rename gengradd.dll and panogrex.dll files. You only need to comment the respective
config.sys lines out.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:19:17 am by Valery Sedletski »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 05:58:29 am »
I uploaded a new build of VBox OS/2 Additions to my ftp:

I finally found some time to try this. First, I don't like the way it is packaged. It is difficult to easily transfer the files to the final locations, but I am sure you can do better (possibly by packaging it as an RPM, or WPI, package). Even a ZIP file, that could be unzipped over the boot drive, would be better (of course, that assumes that files are where they are expected to be). I don't know how you would handle the LIBC stuff though. That should be done with ANPM (RPM/YUM) anyway.

It is MUCH better. At least I get, what appears to be, good information when I do DIR in CMD.EXE, or 4OS/2. Even a DOS or WinOS2 window works, within the limits of what DOS does. I still do not get anything, but a blank folder, when opening the WPS drive object, and that folder does not close properly, every time.

In CMD.EXE, I cannot copy a file to another drive. It says that it cannot find the specified drive (not clear on which drive, the source, or the target). Copying a file to a new name on the source drive (no drive letters used) seems to work okay, but it said that 2 files were copied. I don't see a second file. Deleting the copied file works.

I am not sure what to make of vbxgradd.dll. I did not change the line in CONFIG.SYS, but the file is locked, so I assume that your replacement gengradd.dll is using it. I don't notice any difference in the video stuff.

I am testing in VBox 5.2.22, under win 10 1803 host, with ArcaOS 5.0.3.3 (test version) as guest. The shared folder is a directory on a FAT32 drive (no EAs, as OS/2 knows them). I use the same shared folder with XP, and win7, guests.

Another good step forward, but still not ready... :)

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2018, 09:59:39 am »
2Doug Bissett:

I finally found some time to try this. First, I don't like the way it is packaged. It is difficult to easily transfer the files to the final locations, but I am sure you can do better (possibly by packaging it as an RPM, or WPI, package). Even a ZIP file, that could be unzipped over the boot drive, would be better (of course, that assumes that files are where they are expected to be). I don't know how you would handle the LIBC stuff though. That should be done with ANPM (RPM/YUM) anyway.

I put it into the ISO image for easier mounting under a VM. So, you mount the ISO image under your
OS/2 VM and copy files to respective directories. Just copy them by your file manager. I use FC/2 for
that. In the future, I plan to create also an RPM package for it, so it could be easily installed from the
yum repository. So, I plan to distruibute  the additions by two ways: 1) As an usual additions ISO
2) As an RPM package. This sould be more convenient. RPM is better for newer OS/2 installations,
which have UNIX ports installed. If they are not installed, it's better to use the ISO image.

It's better to handle kLIBC dependencies with RPM, but in case RPM is not present in your system,
it can be copied manually from the ISO. Also, each RPM package has the same files zipped. So, you
can use a ZIP file as a third installation method.

It is MUCH better. At least I get, what appears to be, good information when I do DIR in CMD.EXE, or 4OS/2. Even a DOS or WinOS2 window works, within the limits of what DOS does. I still do not get anything, but a blank folder, when opening the WPS drive object, and that folder does not close properly, every time.

Yes, CMD/4OS2/DOS session should work now, but WPS still doesn't, as all required DosFindFirst
options are implemented, except for FIL_QUERYEASFROMLIST[L]. It requires more work, as I should
properly return an empty FEALIST structure (which contains an empty EA'S) for WPS to be working.
DOS also requires more work, as I need to implement filename translation short <-> long, as it's
done by FAT32.IFS. So, some long file names are not yet accessible to DOS/Win16 programs.

In CMD.EXE, I cannot copy a file to another drive. It says that it cannot find the specified drive (not clear on which drive, the source, or the target). Copying a file to a new name on the source drive (no drive letters used) seems to work okay, but it said that 2 files were copied. I don't see a second file. Deleting the copied file works.

Yes, I know about that, too. The "copy" and "cp" commands still don't work as required. It tries
to create a destination file and returns "File not found" error. Need to fix this too.

I am not sure what to make of vbxgradd.dll. I did not change the line in CONFIG.SYS, but the file is locked, so I assume that your replacement gengradd.dll is using it. I don't notice any difference in the video stuff.

What do you mean, you left GENGRADD in config.sys as is, but VBXGRADD is used, and
locked? You can check which GRADD driver is loaded by looking into \os2\install\gradd.log.

PS: I also fixed VBoxService.exe, so it no more quits after mounting all shared folders. So,
shared clipbord should work now. I also will add an option to explicitly assign drive letters
to shared folders, instead of using the first available ones. Will release it soon.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:22:51 am by Valery Sedletski »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 04:37:47 pm »
2Mauro:

No need to comment the
line, and add it again. The position of that line in config.sys doesn't matter. So, you returned
gengradd.dll back?

yes, otherwise I had to "work" with a 640x480x16colors only resolution

As I said, with lhe latest version, vbxgradd.dll should work too. It is better
because it is faster and it provides support for extra video modes, as Martin said about adding
the 1920x1080x32 mode.

means a latest version than the one attached at the beginning of this thread?

And no need to rename gengradd.dll and panogrex.dll files. You only need to comment the respective
config.sys lines out.

ok
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:44:43 pm by mauro »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 04:15:09 am »
2Mauro:

> means a latest version than the one attached at the beginning of this thread?

I updated the link in the first message of this thread. And the message itself, so that it
contains the actual information. So, you need to reupload it and try.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 08:44:34 am »
I have copied the new version files in their respective directories, but nothing new happens, same gengradd settings resolutions+colors in the system->screen panel, and no shared clipboard working.
Strange… Repeat, it is at least better than when I could not afford for having some guest additions working functions.
Thank you.

PS I'm sure 100% I'm doing something wrong but you have well expained to me what to do

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 01:33:44 pm »
2Mauro: Is it indeed the version r179? Its version of vbxgradd.dll should load ok, it's fixed.
Though, VBoxService fix was in r180, so I didn't uploaded the fix, yet. So VBoxService.exe
should be non-working, yet. But no need to try the old version anymore, I'm already uploading
the newer version, r183, try it instead:

ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r183.zip

This version contains more fixes. Both vbxgradd.dll and VBoxService.exe now are
working. SO, shared clipboard should work too.

Also, now I fixed UNC pathnames, so, it now should work if any other UNC IFS is
installed, except for vboxsf.ifs (like the IFS from Peer/LAN Server).

Also, a new feature is added: If \os2\boot\vboxsf.cfg file is present, having lines
like the following:

share1       <driveletter1>
shareN       <driveletterN>

Then drive letters can be pinned. If vboxsf.cfg file is not present, a first available drive
letter is used.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2018, 03:23:11 pm »
2Mauro: Is it indeed the version r179? Its version of vbxgradd.dll should load ok, it's fixed.
Though, VBoxService fix was in r180, so I didn't uploaded the fix, yet. So VBoxService.exe
should be non-working, yet. But no need to try the old version anymore, I'm already uploading
the newer version, r183, try it instead:

ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r183.zip

This version contains more fixes. Both vbxgradd.dll and VBoxService.exe now are
working. SO, shared clipboard should work too.

ok, got the r183 files and moved them in my C:\ respective directories, replacing the existing ones and adding the new ones.  But it is still like before, no Guest Additions video driver working.  The only thing I've never touched are the three .dll files in USR->LIB.  I understood that if I already have them recently installed in the system  (with rpm-yum manager from Netlab repository) then the already existing ones should be ok, right?

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2018, 03:36:29 pm »

ok, got the r183 files and moved them in my C:\ respective directories, replacing the existing ones and adding the new ones.  But it is still like before, no Guest Additions video driver working.  The only thing I've never touched are the three .dll files in USR->LIB.  I understood that if I already have them recently installed in the system  (with rpm-yum manager from Netlab repository) then the already existing ones should be ok, right?

update: shared clipboard works! It was just disabled in VBox guest settings. My mistake, excuse me.

And, opened C:\OS2\INSTALL\GRADD.LOG  I found the following:
20181117T155005 VMAN:ProcessGraddList(): Module VBXGRADD loaded successfully
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:58:30 pm by mauro »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2018, 06:15:12 pm »
2Mauro:

Yes, as it was written above, if you have the \usr\lib\*.dll files already installed, no need to install them
again, just ensure they're latest version.

And, opened C:\OS2\INSTALL\GRADD.LOG  I found the following:
20181117T155005 VMAN:ProcessGraddList(): Module VBXGRADD loaded successfully

So, it loaded ok. Did you checked System Setup->System->Screen ? Does it show all
usual video modes? If so, enable the video mode you need and reboot.