Author Topic: Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version  (Read 106082 times)

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
Re: Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2020, 12:59:04 am »
2Martin: Yes, brackets in pathnames may be illegal symbols

> I was wondering also a different thing. You call your file with version 5.0.51, but currently the official vbox OS/2 guest drivers are on version 6.1. (which I guess there is not much difference). Are you using a current copy of the addons source code? Do you have it sync with the official repository?

No, My version is different and not related to the official version. They have completely different source code and can't be merged. Of course, I didn't
backported anything from 6.1 additions to 5.0 ones.

> 3) Copying files from the WPS (from the shared folder - Windows Host, to the WPS desktop) gives me some problems too.
Some files give a path can not be found error, other just lock the WPS on the copying dialog box.

Maybe, too long filenames or illegal filenames? Did you checked that?

> 4) Maybe it is related to problem #3. I can open directly from the host some files like PNG, PDFs, and some wpi installers. But EXE WarpIn installer give me this error when I run them from the shared host.

Maybe, some access right-related problems? I had some problems trying to rename a file but it appeared that these files had access right problems. I had a JFS partition
under Linux, and a file had a "readonly" attribute, so I was unable to rename it under linux. So, it was a problem outside VBox. Maybe, this file has access problems on
the host? Can you check a different guest OS with the same shared folder? Maybe, these problems reproduce there? Also, did you checked if the .exe can be
started from FC/2? Is there any difference from the WPS window?

PS: Did you tried to look what is written in the COM port log?

PPS: Tried to copy files with the WPS. There are some problems with that. If I drag a file with WPS from a shared folder to a ramdisk, I got an "SYS0225: The extended attribute list size is incorrect". After the second attempt to do so I got a kernel trap. Looking at the COM port log, I see that there is something wrong
with FS32_FILEINFO. It looks like I repaired FS32_FINDFIRST/NEXT onlym but not FS32_FILEINFO/PATHINFO. Need to check this further.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:22:15 am by Valery Sedletski »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2020, 01:03:59 am »
2Mauro: Why do you need to repeat all the installation instructions from the beginning each time? You only need to replace the binaries. No other actions
are required if you had everything installed previously. I just updated the instructions. As this update is related to the IFS only, you can replace the IFS only.
Regarding the trap, you must probably did something wrong and fucked up the system. If you would replace an IFS binaries only, I'd suspect, there will be
no place for errors.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2020, 12:57:33 pm »
PS: Did you tried to look what is written in the COM port log?

Hi

Can I get a pointer to some documentation on how to do that?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2020, 07:40:27 pm »
2Martin: The proccess of using COM port is generally the same for all drivers: You attach a terminal to a COM port via a null-modem cable.
Some docummentation is present in "doc" subdirectory of the Additions ISO. I'm sorry, but it is incomplete, yet. because unfinished. But you
can ask any questions here. To enable debug output, you need to add the "/d" parameter to the IFS command line in config.sys. The IFS is
using the QSINIT/ArcaLDR/OS4LDR log buffer. Some bits are described in debug.txt.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2020, 03:43:26 am »
Hi all! I did some fixes to dummy EA's creation in VBoxFS.ifs. Now I'm able to run WarpIN installers from the shared folder.
Also, copying/moving files from/to shared folder and other drives now should work. I uploaded the new build, r216, to the ftp:

ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r216.zip

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2020, 10:29:01 pm »
Hi Valery, a different question: Were you successful in logging in on the new TRAC pages? I wasn't and wrote Adrian a mail.

BTW: I would like to try your versions, but I currently have only one virtual ArcaOS installation running where local networking doesn't work. I'll reinstall a newer version in the future and plan to report.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2020, 11:55:55 pm »
2Andreas Schnellbacher: I cannot login into new Trac too. Wrote to Adrian at #netlabs, but no answer yet. You can download it via a direct link above in the host OS,
then copy it via an older version of shared folders, or, download it from another guest to a FAT/FAT32 partition, then attach that partition to an OS/2 guest, then copy
it as usual. Or, download it with the host OS, and attach it to the VM. It is an ISO image, so it can be attached as any other additions ISO. If host networking does not work, then you can use a flash disk to copy the downloaded additions.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:57:29 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2020, 08:03:25 pm »
Hi

I don't know why oracle's build names the file "VBOXSF.IFS" while I think that I understand why valerius names that file "VBOXFS.IFS" (VBox File System?)

Is that the issue? I also got confused on that when I try valerius version.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2020, 09:12:29 pm »
2Mauro: Why do you need to repeat all the installation instructions from the beginning each time? You only need to replace the binaries. No other actions
are required if you had everything installed previously. I just updated the instructions. As this update is related to the IFS only, you can replace the IFS only.
Regarding the trap, you must probably did something wrong and fucked up the system. If you would replace an IFS binaries only, I'd suspect, there will be
no place for errors.

Hi Valery thanks for replying.
First of all I noticed that the name of files contained in latest iso : VBoxFS.ifs  and VBoxFS.sym  seem to be mispelled, as in my previous version installed 5.0.51.r184.iso they were called VBoxSF.ifs and VBoxSF.sym and such name VBoxSF.ifs is stated in the concerning config.sys line ; like that the shared folder volume (mine is E:) at least appeared in the WPS pane even if resulting empty (but regularly populated with files by browsing it with FC/2).
Now, I've renamed the two files with the names I believe to be correct ("SF" intesad of "FS") and putted them in the path C:\OS2\BOOT\    replacing the older ones,  tried first with only VBoxSF.ifs and then also together with VBoxSF.sym , but in both cases the result after system rebooting is that my shared folder E has completely disappeared from the system, also browsing volumes with FC/2.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2020, 01:31:50 pm »
2mauro, Martin: They are not misspelled. The IFS is renamed to VBoxFS, whereas Oracle version is called VBoxSF. They are different and should be
distinguished. No  need to rename. Please read readme file. Everything is described here, including the motivation for renaming. Please note that if
you renamed file, rename it in  config.sys too. But as I said, my IFS is now called VBoxFS not VBoxSF. It is not only file is called VBoxFS not VBoxSF,
but internal IFS name too. So, if you rename it, it won't boot. Each IFS requires it's own version of VBoxService.exe. My IFS won't work with Oracle
version! Oracle version requires the IFS called VBOXSF, and my version required VBOXFS.

So, please read the README and change your IFS in config.sys to VBoxFS.ifs. VBoxFSAttach.exe is renamed to VBoxFSAttach too.

PS: "FS" in the file name stands for File System, whereas "SF" stands for Shared Folders. They are renamed to not confuse these two versions
which each other. They are different, so, now they are called differently. They are renamed a year ago, so I wonder why this question
arises since a year? Why not earlier? :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:45:51 pm by Valery Sedletski »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2020, 03:09:19 pm »

PS: "FS" in the file name stands for File System, whereas "SF" stands for Shared Folders. They are renamed to not confuse these two versions
which each other. They are different, so, now they are called differently. They are renamed a year ago, so I wonder why this question
arises since a year? Why not earlier? :)

I am using r186 (presumed to be not-Oracle branded, you started this thread announcing the availability of your job on r177) and those files were still "SF" called.
Anyway, cannot get out from the situation that by replacing the binaries of the actual release in their destination folders and also adjusting the config.sys line with the correct file name, then no shared folder appears in WPS anymore when system boots.
Furthermore as system starts up, the shadow link of vboxservice.exe present in the Startup folder, recalls its properties windows opening, like it is not properly executed as a program.
Thank you

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2020, 08:47:47 pm »
Ok, since I never give up, I went back to check all Vbox files allocations, and discovered that some of them where in a directory I was not considering  C:\Programs\vbox , containing some virtualbox executable including vboxservice.exe which was instead indicated to be destined to C:\OS2\ in your latest GA distribution .  Replaced the old files there with the ones in your GA distribution from OS2\ folder, also copying the ones from \OS2\BOOT both there and in C:\OS2\BOOT folder as well.  virtualboxSF.ifs was also In C:\Programs\vbox , then I corrected the file name (FS) in config.sys, and placed virtualboxFS.ifs there.
And now the shared folder G in the WPS pane shows its files inside.
I can execute from the shared folder not all of them (no .jpg ,  ok .pdf , ok .mp4, ok .wpi), but in all cases no copy/move is allowed , an alert shows "path G cannot be found" (see image)
Thank you
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:18:58 pm by mauro »

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2020, 02:04:16 pm »
2mauro:

> I am using r186 (presumed to be not-Oracle branded, you started this thread announcing the availability of your job on r177) and those files were still "SF" called.
Of course previously they were called "VBoxSF". But then Knut get known that my version is almost ready, and made his own version. Two different IFS'es with the
same name become ambiguous, so, to not confuse one with another, I decided to rename my IFS to "VBoxFS.ifs".

I never suggested to place my files in c:\programs\VBox. Thay always intended to be on c:\os2. Those versions which go into c:\programs\VBox were made by
Knut/Oracle.

Looking at your screenshots: Are you sure you're using r216, not r215? As I could remember, the specified error were in r215, and should be fixed in r 216.

PS: Also regarding your error you mentioned on the screenshot. Can you check if the folder which contains the os2space.jpg file is readonly? Will the file copy
successfully, if you remove the "read only" bit? (There is some unknown problem: folders become read only after some time. This leads to some erros.)

PPS: r216 still has some problems. When opening folders with Ctrl-W in File Commander/2, I sometimes got some WPS hangs when it calls DosQueryPathInfo
with FIL_QUERYEASFROMLIST[L] parameter. Need to be fixed soon.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2020, 07:33:00 pm »
2mauro:

I never suggested to place my files in c:\programs\VBox. Thay always intended to be on c:\os2. Those versions which go into c:\programs\VBox were made by
Knut/Oracle.

understand, of course a "one way installation" like it could be an RPM package or wpi package would help much people like me trying to swim on the many variables.  My only possibility  to succeed is patience, perseverance and continuously checking back the steps to proceed

Looking at your screenshots: Are you sure you're using r216, not r215? As I could remember, the specified error were in r215, and should be fixed in r 216.

yes, is the r216 (VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r216.iso). I had read that this issue was mentioned to affect the r215.

PS: Also regarding your error you mentioned on the screenshot. Can you check if the folder which contains the os2space.jpg file is readonly? Will the file copy
successfully, if you remove the "read only" bit? (There is some unknown problem: folders become read only after some time. This leads to some erros.)

just doublechecked, the folder is properly read/write in Windows and same setted in Virtualbox.
I just need to try how this r216 work on same virtual machine ready on Ubuntu hosting, I'll let you know.

PPS: r216 still has some problems. When opening folders with Ctrl-W in File Commander/2, I sometimes got some WPS hangs when it calls DosQueryPathInfo
with FIL_QUERYEASFROMLIST[L] parameter. Need to be fixed soon.

I trust in future release improvements since I could obtain most of previous GA versions benefits and also this version took an improvement. I believe the needed fix is near.
Thank you
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:34:36 pm by mauro »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2020, 08:17:02 pm »
Knut/Oracle.

Can I also place all these files into another directory than \OS2 (and updating config.sys correspondingly) ? Or is this a problem for the .INI file ?