Author Topic: Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version  (Read 106072 times)

Lars

• View Profile
Re: Shared folders IFS for VBox Additions, the test version
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2020, 08:32:23 pm »
Your package does not seem to work with VirtualBox 6.1.2 which is what I use. Too bad.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2020, 11:17:45 am »

just doublechecked, the folder is properly read/write in Windows and same setted in Virtualbox.
I just need to try how this r216 work on same virtual machine ready on Ubuntu hosting, I'll let you know.

No, on Ubuntu host machine what done in the Windows host machine isn't working at all, the shared folder volume does not even appear in the WPS pane. The OS2 virtual machine there is cloned from the other. The only difference is the Virtualbox software version used:  Windows = 6.0.4 , Ubuntu = 6.0.8

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 29, 2020, 10:55:22 pm »
2Lars:

> Can I also place all these files into another directory than \OS2 (and updating config.sys correspondingly) ? Or is this a problem for the .INI file ?

You can, if you wish, of course, but why? It does not use INI files.

> our package does not seem to work with VirtualBox 6.1.2 which is what I use. Too bad.

No, it works fine for me. Tested successfully with VBox 6.1.2 (Linux host). What is not working for you?

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2020, 11:06:55 pm »
2mauro:

RPM package is planned in the future.

PS: Also regarding your error you mentioned on the screenshot. Can you check if the folder which contains the os2space.jpg file is readonly? Will the file copy
successfully, if you remove the "read only" bit? (There is some unknown problem: folders become read only after some time. This leads to some erros.)

just doublechecked, the folder is properly read/write in Windows and same setted in Virtualbox.
I just need to try how this r216 work on same virtual machine ready on Ubuntu hosting, I'll let you know.

I tested this on Linux host. It has "w" bit removed from some folders, and, as a result, copy operation
does not succeed. If you return the "w" back, everything will work. Did not tested it on windows host,
but it probably add "readonly" bit, so the symptoms should be similar like on Linux host. Are you sure
it isn't readonly? Did you tried to create a file or subdirectory in that g:\ directory? Will it fail?

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2020, 11:12:19 pm »
2 mauro:

Quote from: mauro

No, on Ubuntu host machine what done in the Windows host machine isn't working at all, the shared folder volume does not even appear in the WPS pane. The OS2 virtual machine there is cloned from the other. The only difference is the Virtualbox software version used:  Windows = 6.0.4 , Ubuntu = 6.0.8

What do you mean? Empty WPS folder? Did you tried to open it in FC/2? Maybe, some permission problems (maybe, your current user, under which VBox is
started, has no permissin to access the directory, which is shared to a VM?)? Is this the same shared folder as in Windows? So, your Linux has access to the same disk as Windows?  Did you corrected the paths accordingly? If you cloned VM under Windows and restored under Linux, the old paths will be invalid.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:16:43 pm by Valery Sedletski »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2020, 05:47:34 pm »
2 mauro:

Quote from: mauro

What do you mean? Empty WPS folder?

no shared folder volume isn't appearing in WPS pane at all, like it was before any Guest Additions installation
Did you tried to open it in FC/2?
not yet, I will try later
Is this the same shared folder as in Windows? So, your Linux has access to the same disk as Windows? 
no, it is on a different Ubuntu disk
Did you corrected the paths accordingly? If you cloned VM under Windows and restored under Linux, the old paths will be invalid.

in any guest machine all config.sys paths are on C:\  which is the OS2 disk.
Furthermore in all guest machines I have a Samba+Netdrive working installation which is -meantime- my solution to the shared folder need. By that, I can access to any host machine folder after having setted its path through ip address

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2020, 06:17:51 pm »
2mauro: I mean, paths to shared folders in VBox settings. They are diferent in Windows and Linux. So, you should correct them accordingly.

> no shared folder volume isn't appearing in WPS pane at all, like it was before any Guest Additions installation
What do you mean? Shared folder isn't mounted? Is IFS loaded? VBoxService.exe is started? Did you tried to start VBoxService.exe manually?
Does it mount the shared folders then?

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2020, 07:15:13 pm »
Hi all!

I uploaded a new version:

ftp://osfree.org/upload/vbox/additions/VBoxAdditions-os2-x86-5.0.51.r217.zip

Here, I fixed problems in FS32_PATHINFO/FS32_FILEINFO, with FIL_QUERYEASFROMLIST[L] option,
which caused the following effects: 1) Icons of program objects whose programs are located on a shared
folder, were disappearing 2) sometimes, when opening a WPS Drives folder, this caused some WPS hangs
when calling FS32_PATHINFO. Now these problems seem to be gone.

Still, a problem with current folder, becoming readonly, is present. Should be fixed in near time.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2020, 08:05:02 pm »
2Lars:

> Can I also place all these files into another directory than \OS2 (and updating config.sys correspondingly) ? Or is this a problem for the .INI file ?

You can, if you wish, of course, but why? It does not use INI files.

> our package does not seem to work with VirtualBox 6.1.2 which is what I use. Too bad.

No, it works fine for me. Tested successfully with VBox 6.1.2 (Linux host). What is not working for you?
It just does nothing. I meant CFG file and not INI File,sorry about the confusion. How do your tools find the CFG file?

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2020, 08:12:20 pm »
2mauro: I mean, paths to shared folders in VBox settings. They are diferent in Windows and Linux. So, you should correct them accordingly.

Yes, of course I review the machine settings after importing it and choose the new shared folders path
> no shared folder volume isn't appearing in WPS pane at all, like it was before any Guest Additions installation
What do you mean? Shared folder isn't mounted? Is IFS loaded? VBoxService.exe is started? Did you tried to start VBoxService.exe manually?

confirm it is not appearing so it should be not mounted. But it works back (shared folder appears but is empty in the WPS pane) if I turn back to the version r186 installation
Does it mount the shared folders then?

dont't know how to test if vboxservice.exe and virtualboxFS.ifs are running

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2020, 08:27:37 pm »
2Lars:

> It just does nothing. I meant CFG file and not INI File,sorry about the confusion. How do your tools find the CFG file?

The .cfg file should be located in \os2\boot. It only has influence to drive letter pinning. If .cfg file is not found, shared folders
will be mouned to first available drive letters. What do you mean by "it does nothing"? it should mount at some drive letter,
at least. Did some shared folders mounted? Is VBoxService.exe running? (see my answer to Mauro below)

2mauro:

> confirm it is not appearing so it should be not mounted. But it works back (shared folder appears but is empty in the WPS pane) if I turn back to the version r186 installation

Are you sure VBoxService.exe is started? Are paths to shared folders specified in VBox shared folder settings, correct?

> dont't know how to test if vboxservice.exe and virtualboxFS.ifs are running

Does the

pstat /c | more

command show VBoxService.exe in the process list? If not, try running VBoxService from the command line and see
if it writes any errors to the console. Maybe, some required DLL's are missing. Do you have libcn and libcx installed?
Old versions did not require libcx, so they may work without it, but newer ones do not.

Also, e.g., WatchCat or Theseus show all loaded modules (all .exe/.dll/.sys/.ifs etc.).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:34:00 pm by Valery Sedletski »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2020, 09:06:29 pm »
Velerie, now have just tried back everything on Ubuntu hosted with the new r217 version - nothing less nothing more- and it behaves like in Windows hosted with you previous r216: Shared Folders volume G appears and shows its content , but can't copy the file in any OS2 folders

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2020, 09:13:51 pm »
2mauro:

> can't copy the file in any OS2 folders

As I said above, just remove the "readonly" bit from your current folder, and everything will work.

PS: Everything is copied fine in my system. If you wish it to be fixed on your system, please provide
me with enough information, so I can reproduce it in my system. Or, at least, show me the COM port logs.
Otherwise I cannot help you.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:56:45 pm by Valery Sedletski »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2020, 11:19:27 pm »
2Lars:

> It just does nothing. I meant CFG file and not INI File,sorry about the confusion. How do your tools find the CFG file?

The .cfg file should be located in \os2\boot. It only has influence to drive letter pinning. If .cfg file is not found, shared folders
will be mouned to first available drive letters. What do you mean by "it does nothing"? it should mount at some drive letter,
at least. Did some shared folders mounted? Is VBoxService.exe running? (see my answer to Mauro below)

Ok, now I got a little bit further. It now mounts and the command line view on files and folders is ok. But WPS only shows folders (from the mount point) but not the files. Also, funny enough but no changeable because of lack of EAs, the view always reverts to "Tree View", even if I select "Icon View" from the Properties->menu. Browsing around in the mounted directory tree traps the WPS but it recovers.
I am using r217.

Lars

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2020, 11:28:22 pm »
I have the same prob as Mauro: I cannot copy anything from the mounted folder to my OS/2 virtual guest drive.
I have removed the read-only bit from the mounted folder (which is an NTFS volume of my Windows Host) but it does not make a difference at all. The target directory is not marked as read-only. I get a SYS0003 on the attempt to copy.

Copying to/from the mounted volume works with the VirtualBox provided VBOXSF.IFS driver (but of course EA support is not implemented for that driver and therefore WPS behaves badly).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:36:27 pm by Lars »