Author Topic: Simple CUPS Support Printer Quesion  (Read 7957 times)

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
Simple CUPS Support Printer Quesion
« on: November 05, 2018, 07:56:35 pm »
My venerable HP2550 has finally died. Now I'm in the process of looking for a new color laser printer. I just updated my CUPS installation to the latest version. So my question is:

"Are all the printers shown in the 'Create CUPS Printer" selection list supported?"

I'm looking at getting a HP M452dn, as that seems to best meet my requirements and price point. The printer dialogue lists the M452 as an available printer. There appear to be several flavours of M452xx. The various xx after M452 seem to denote various connectivity options. But the dn model is the one I want (wired Ethernet).

This will be my first foray into the CUPS world, as my 2550 has been a faithful printer for going on 15+ years, but alas its finally died.

TIA

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Simple CUPS Support Printer Quesion
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:57:17 pm »
Hi Erik

If the printer is listed as available support it should work to some degree but may not be capable of some functions. I think you will need to "suck it and see"  :-)

My Canon MG7550 can only print to the paper from cassette tray 2 (A4) and is unable to print to photo paper and envelopes which are in cassette tray 1. This seems to be a limitation of the OS/2 postscript printer driver rather than a cups problem though.

Regards

Pete

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 09:26:12 pm »
My venerable HP2550 has finally died. Now I'm in the process of looking for a new color laser printer. I just updated my CUPS installation to the latest version. So my question is:

"Are all the printers shown in the 'Create CUPS Printer" selection list supported?"

I'm looking at getting a HP M452dn, as that seems to best meet my requirements and price point. The printer dialogue lists the M452 as an available printer. There appear to be several flavours of M452xx. The various xx after M452 seem to denote various connectivity options. But the dn model is the one I want (wired Ethernet).

This will be my first foray into the CUPS world, as my 2550 has been a faithful printer for going on 15+ years, but alas its finally died.

TIA

I succeeded to configure my Samsung C460 Xpress (via ip address port) just by getting his PPD file driver downloaded from OpenPrinting:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openprinting/start

Although I saw that  the HP M452dn specific model is not officially supported I guess you could download the generic PostScript driver which works for most of the laserjet color printers :

http://www.openprinting.org/driver/Postscript

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:11:28 pm »
I could find a lexmark CS510DE at a very low price with cartridge.
Lexmark cups drivers works very well.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 03:05:04 am »
Eric,

I have an HP m452dn and am trying to get it to work with CUPS, or directly from a PM printer driver.  My guess is it should work fine since it uses postscript in addition to PCL. Cups has installed a *.PPD file for the m452dn but I keep getting a filter error when I try to print. Plus I don't know the user id and password CUPS administration wants in order to see the error log.

As a side note, the printer drivers (PCL and Postscript) supplied by HP for the printer do not work on Windows 7, although they do work on WIndows XP. I spent a hour or two on the phone with HP support, who remotely connected to my PC. The final solution was to use HP's generic PCL driver and generic postscript driver.  Those drivers are available from HP's web site, and they work fine. Plus they appear to handle all the printers features.

It is a nice printer BTW. The only issue I have had with it is when I am printing 100's of pages it will stop periodically during the job to let the printer cool down. After it cools a little bit (takes a few minutes) printing resumes.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:46:05 pm by Doug Clark »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 07:41:42 am »
Erik,

I have an HP m452dn and am trying to get it to work with CUPS, or directly from a PM printer driver. 

in PM choose the driver POSTSCRIPT.HP Color Laserjet PS . It has worked for my Samsung C460 Xpression laser color printer

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 06:08:56 pm »
Hi Doug

Do you have the hplip package installed - provides filters for most HP printers.

Regards

Pete

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 12:30:13 am »
One of the things I noticed after the upgrade of CUPS was that the HP M452 was added to the list of supported printers in the selection dialogue. I checked on an old eCS V2.2 system and the CUPS there does not list the M452, but once upgraded it now available. So that gives me some hope that it might work.

Doug,
I'd be interested in hearing your reply to the Q about the hplib package from Pete.

Cheers,

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 12:54:51 am »
Just FYI; for my HP M477fdw I use a postscript driver that was supplied with ArcaOS and printing works fine.
(Not at my system right now, but I believe the driver is HP Color Laser Jet 3800 PS.)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 02:29:34 am »
Pete, and Eric,

Yes hplip is installed on my machine. The version I have is 3.17.11-1. Apparently that hplip contains *.PPD files for multiple HP m452 printers. The problem is some of those printers have duplexers and some don't. But all (both) the *.PPD files have the same nickname, and apparently CUPS uses the nickname to distinguish between "printers". So I found the *.ppd file for m452 with duplexing, changed the nickname, installed that in CUPS, modified the existing m452 printer thingy I already had in CUPS to the new *.PPD and now duplexing, and the printer, are working correctly.

Duplexing shows up in apps that print directly to CUPS, as shown in the attachment, but not in apps that print to the associated PM printer object. I need to figure out how to update the PM printer object with the new PPD file.