Author Topic: CUPS User ID and Password  (Read 6960 times)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
CUPS User ID and Password
« on: November 06, 2018, 06:59:46 am »
On the CUPS administration page (http://localhost:631/admin) when I click on "View Error Log" I am prompted for a user id and password. None of the user ids/passwords I have entered work.

Does anyone have any idea which user id and password CUPS is looking for?

mauro

• View Profile
Re: CUPS User ID and Password
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 07:37:15 am »
On the CUPS administration page (http://localhost:631/admin) when I click on "View Error Log" I am prompted for a user id and password. None of the user ids/passwords I have entered work.

it can only be user and password you choosen at system installation

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:03:49 am »

which cups version exactly? Meas what does ANPM or yum say about the cups rpm version? As it should not prompt you for any password, if everything is installed correctly. And which klusrmgr version?
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:39:43 pm »
I don't remember manually installing it so I think it was installed during the install of ARCOS.  ANPM says:

CUPS                  2.1.3-10
cups client          2.1.3-10
cups-filesystem  2.1.3-10
cups-filters          1.17.2-3 (oc00)
cups-filters-libs  1.17.2-3 (oc00)
cups-libs              2.1.13-10

I just updated  klusmgr from 1.1.2-1 to 1.2.1-1 and now have a kLIBC User Management icon on my desktop

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 06:00:39 pm »
Hi Doug

Have you tried cups since updating and running klusmgr? - I ask because I seem to recall that was the fix for the user/password problem with the rpm installed cups.

You may also want to use ANPM to check that all cups packages are current.

Regards

Pete

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 10:09:59 pm »
After updating everything I could think of that was related to CUPS, including klusrmgr, I still could not get past the user id and password prompt.

But when I assigned a password to root, and saved the file in klusrmgr, I could then get past the user id and password prompt.  And CUPS started sending stuff to my printer. Very nice.

Thanks for the help

Eric Erickson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 12:49:09 am »
After updating everything I could think of that was related to CUPS, including klusrmgr, I still could not get past the user id and password prompt.

But when I assigned a password to root, and saved the file in klusrmgr, I could then get past the user id and password prompt.  And CUPS started sending stuff to my printer. Very nice.

Thanks for the help
Doug,

Is this for your HP M452 that you referenced over in my thread?

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 02:14:51 am »
Eric,

Yes it is. Although when I wrote that I did not realize duplexing wasn't appearing as an option in CUPS. That problem turned out to be the wrong *.PPD file. I found the correct PPD file and attached that to a posting I made in the thread "problems installing a PPD in PM". Duplexing now appears as an option on those apps that print directly to CUPS - such as qpdfview.

Now my problem is getting duplexing to show up as an option for applications that print though the PM print system.