Author Topic: Seamonkey and AOO4.1.6 problem  (Read 9771 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Seamonkey and AOO4.1.6 problem
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 01:14:40 am »
Yes, that looks like lots of free memory with not much fragmentation. Though I'm somewhat surprised that AOO didn't use more memory. I guess using it more might show more use. Otherwise
not sure what your problem is, though as suggested you might want to reinstall the libs.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 02:23:08 am »
Hi Dave

The suggested libs were reinstalled with no change: Without AOO4 Quickstart running I get 1 use of AOO4 and after that I need to reboot in order to use any app - including AOO4 - that uses the "nixy bits".

As memory does not seem to be the problem I am wondering if

1] AOO4.1.6 somehow "locks" access to dll files and is not "releasing" them on close

2] Some of the "nixy bits" need updating - but no updates showing as available in ANPM

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 04:22:19 am »
Hi Pete.
As far as I know, AOO can't lock up the DLLs. Does AOO use NSPR? NSPR is actually a (well was) Netscape bit, which is used by a few things.
You can try going into ANPM and under Manage, there is Yum Tools which has a way to cleanup and rebuild the RPM data base. You can try those steps and see if it helps.
There may be other resources besides shared memory that is running out, I don't know. Generally what happens here after a day or two running SM, TB and occasionally FF is the system locks up or spontaneously reboots. The mozturbo programs seem to have fixed that.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 08:03:22 pm »
Hi Dave

This problem was probably an operator error...

Today I realised that I had not installed the latest smturbo - v0.5 - so unzipped, installed and started it with the default parameter(s).

With Seamonkey running I have opened AOO4.1.6 writer edited and saved a document twice without problems. NOTE: AOO4 Quickstart not running.
AOO4 seems to be capable of further starts if necessary as I just edited and saved the previous document again.

Closed Seamonkey.

Restarted AOO4.1.6 writer without problems.

Rebooted with smturbo in Startup but not AOO4 Quickstart.

Ran AOO4 writer and exited.

Ran Seamonkey and exited.

Ran AOO4 writer and exited.

Ran Seamonkey to post this in os2world forum.

As all seems to be working now I think we can say that whatever changes exist in the upgrade from smturbo v0.3 to v0.5 work fine here.

Thanks Dave.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 08:34:31 pm »
Interesting, and glad it is working well for you. The main change was not force loading the DLLs, thanks to Rich for the suggestion. V0.3-V0.4 was a ffturbo bug fix (missing DLL).
Really need to release v1.0 (only code change is adding a version parameter), just need to get ambitious and redo the documentation. I'm crappy at documentation :)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 10:01:32 pm »
Hi Dave

While installing smturbo v0.5 certainly helped previously I now find that it is no longer needed.

I have just rebooted and run both AOO and Seamonkey without problems and then realised that smturbo was not in the Startup folder so is not running - nor is AOO Quickstart.

The only change to the system is the smturbo update - which is not running.

Prior to starting this discussion I had not had any problems running AOO4.1.6 and Seamonkey.

There had been no system changes causing this problem originally and we are now back to all working with no system changes - discounting the not in use smturbo.

So, no idea what caused the problem but it seems to have sorted itself out...

Regards

Pete

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 12:42:03 am »
I'm not sure if this works, because I've tried it a little, but it gives me good feelings. At least the java script, it seems they load very fast. It's about doing this:
unlock exceptq.dll
rename exceptq.dll exceptq-stop.dll
Comment if it works, or not.