Author Topic: REQ: full list of OS components  (Read 6438 times)

xynixme

REQ: full list of OS components
« on: November 09, 2018, 03:39:51 pm »
Can someone please post a list of ArcaOS files, so people not having it can figure out what's new? Lord knows what has been added or replaced., and where it can be found nowadays Virtual sample code for eCS, assuming boot drive C: of a fresh install:

Code: [Select]
/* OS_DIFF.CMD */
CALL RxFuncAdd 'SysFileTree','RexxUtil','SysFileTree'
CALL SysFileTree 'C:\ECS\*','file.','FS'
DO i=1 TO file.0
   SAY file.i
END i
CALL SysFileTree 'C:\OS2\*','file.','FS'
DO i=1 TO file.0
   SAY file.i
END i
EXIT[code]

With file dates and file sizes, please.

The output would be nice-to-have, for example to upgrade components of OS/2 to an ArcaOS level. OO.EXE is probably an example of a random new OS component, but there are no formal upgrade packages for OS/2.

Please note this isn't about not buying ArcaOS. I'll need that for "modern" hardware anyway. I've already got an OO.EXE, but just didn't know that it's an OS component since eCS 2.x or ArcaOS.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: REQ: full list of OS components
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 04:50:24 pm »
Rather then \ecs, ArcaOS uses \sys. Output of a fairly fresh install of 5.0.3.3 attached. There's also a program directory with
Code: [Select]
ANRDC
ArcTool
DVDTools
firefox
Lucide
MOZ_PLUG
NDFS
OpenJDK
PMDCalcP
PMVNC
seamonkey
thunderbird
VNCView

xynixme

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 12:55:20 am »
Always helpful, didn't even know it was "\sys" by now.

I was missing e.g. ZIP.EXE or 7Z.EXE as an OS component, but since there's a RPM ZIP file that will nowadays probably be "user software installed by default" under @unixroot. Then it may not be clear what OS software is (ZIP3.RPM: yes; any_game.RPM: no), but at least it's clear what the right version should be and where it is supposed to be installed if you're using ArcaOS.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 03:40:20 am »
Yes, I left out the RPMs that are installed by default. They may be on a different partition then the boot one. I think zip is installed as an RPM and 7z is left to the user to install.
Later, if I remember, I'll get the list of packages on a new install.

xynixme

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 04:03:33 pm »
\OS2\DLL\SHIELD.DLl

Classic OS/2 typo, which still exists... :)

xynixme

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 01:27:32 am »
Later, if I remember, I'll get the list of packages on a new install.

WPTOOLS may help to display the content of folders, FWIW. I'm actually using the a.o. \SYS structures for an "eCS FixPak".

A list of packages may be nice-to-have, but not as important. It would be nice to know that e.g. Netscape is still there, for fast local browsing. HTML code is still being aimed at Netscape over here, and there's not a single reason to change that. If we've lost Netscape, then that may be such a reason in the future.

Regarding OS changes I did send a 64x64/128x128 icon test suite to Quito, but an e-mail service provider decided to delete the data. So did I, after sending it, and I didn't compile a new test suite anymore. No 128x128 PNG icons from me yet, because I don't have it and I don't know how it works, and I don't like *.ICO files which are larger than the *.EXE itself. Bad luck... ;-)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 04:30:42 am »
Netscape is an installation choice, disabled by default